News of the MidyAX2 - Pilot the AXE-FX with MIDI controllers (X-Touch, BCR2000, Guitar Wing, ...)

Some news :
- still working on putting in place the Basic MIDI architecture in the new QT/RTMIDI MidyAX program.
- had the Raspberry Pi configured so that it works as a WI-FI access
- had the wireless connections (WIFI) between Raspberry Pi and Spark Core https://www.spark.io/ --> the idea is to have Pots/Buttons on the guitar connected to the Spark Core (Microcontroller with WIFI) and send parameter controls to RPi and then to the AXE-FX. It would do similar things as these : Livid Instruments or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB_bCEMHb8 with WIFI connection.
- had the Raspberry Pi configured so that it works with Bluethooth ... for WIIMOTE control of parameters 8)

I'm thinking of doing a simple program to map MIDI CC to parameters in the AXE-FX so that any MIDI device connected to the RPi (USB) can control "any" parameters of the effect block in the AXE-FX. That would be a bit like a MIDI translator ( à la BOME MIDI translator : Bome SoftwareBome's Midi Translator - Bome Software ). Might get the time to do it soon.:roll Hopefully

Some news :
- still working on putting in place the Basic MIDI architecture in the new QT/RTMIDI MidyAX program.
- had the Raspberry Pi configured so that it works as a WI-FI access
- had the wireless connections (WIFI) between Raspberry Pi and Spark Core https://www.spark.io/ --> the idea is to have Pots/Buttons on the guitar connected to the Spark Core (Microcontroller with WIFI) and send parameter controls to RPi and then to the AXE-FX. It would do similar things as these : Livid Instruments or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB_bCEMHb8 with WIFI connection.
- had the Raspberry Pi configured so that it works with Bluethooth ... for WIIMOTE control of parameters 8)

I'm thinking of doing a simple program to map MIDI CC to parameters in the AXE-FX so that any MIDI device connected to the RPi (USB) can control "any" parameters of the effect block in the AXE-FX. That would be a bit like a MIDI translator ( à la BOME MIDI translator : Bome SoftwareBome's Midi Translator - Bome Software ). Might get the time to do it soon.:roll Hopefully

Hey, that sounds like a fun project!

Just a quick update on the project. So that people that had followed the project know what is going on. Well, there isn't much to be proud of not been able to do much on the new hardware incarnation (Raspberry Pi) of the MidyAX :(. I have more or less run out of steam :hopelessness:and been busy with other personal projects.

Will I carry on the project on RPi and QT ?:bi_polo: Well I should really. I'll see in the next two months If I can gather enough steam.:roll

Last edited:
Just a quick "New year" news. Recently got an RPi 2 and managed to get back into porting the MidyAX program from ARDUINO to LINUX. Hopefully I'll have enough time to carry on in the next few months.

I've got a BCR lying around and really looking forward to see what you come up with here :) keep up the good work!

Thanks ralphonz. During the end of the year break, I actually put my old MidyAX prototype (ARDUINO based) ON after more or less a year of not using it (I had fallen out with it due to "project fatigue" :( ). I was surprised that it still works pretty damn well and all the fancy features that I had put in where still there and more or less all working (apart from the control of the new parameters introduced in recent AXE-FX FW).

So far with the new program I've managed to send/receive MIDI from/to the AXE-FX and BRC2000 on the RPi2. The program displays the MIDI messages in a log widows, so there is still a long way to go to port all the functionality I have program in the MidyAX (ARDUINO version). But the existing code/logic (of the ARDUINO MidyAX) helps a lot in building the new program.

Things have move on quite a bit on MidyAX for RPi. I am getting close to finishing a first version.
This version will work quite differently than the ARDUINO version, but the main idea is still to control AXE-FX parameters with physical Knobs / Slider / Buttons from any MIDI Controllers that can send CC MIDI messages. The program seat on the RPi and does the transmation from CC commands to AXEFX command (MIDI SYSEX) according to a user defind Mapping. The Mapping basically is just the association of a MIDI Channel (1-16) and CC (0 to 127) with a AXE-FX Block and Parameter (e.g CC 1 on Chan 1 will control the Drive of AMP1 block)
The mapping is define (for now) in this screen :
2016-02-14 - MIDI Mapping.png

Once the mappings is defined the MidyAX can just opperate the transmation. So operating the phisical Knobs / Slider / Button controls the AXE-FX parameters accoring to the mapping. The log windows displays the MIDI messages SENT and RECEIVED. For now the 5 knobs displayed control are "synched" with the first 5 mappings.
2016-02-14  - Main Window.png

Since I have a BCF2000 MIDI controller, I have done a specific screen for it :
2016-01-05%20-%20BCF2000.png
What is interesting with that screen is that it shows how the AXEFX parameters are mapped on the control surface (for now, only sliders)
The screen Sliders can be moved and will control the AXEFX param and the BCF2000 sliders value (since these sliders are motorized, the slidders move physically as the value is changed on the screen)
The screen slidders move with the BCF2000 slidders and the parameter is updated, all this in real time.
On this display, one will be able to redefine the mapping for that surface. (close to be finished)

And one for the BCR2000 MIDI controller :
BCR2000.png

There is also a screen to set up the MIDI port connections :
2016-02-14 - Midi Setup.png

There is still quite a few stuffs to program to make it a "fully" usage program. Right now the program works well with linear param.
I will SOON release the programs (exe) for the RPi/Raspian, Debian/x86 and Mac OS so that people can use it if interested. The program would also work on Windows but still have to set-up the compiling environnement.

Last edited:
Just a little update.

I've been able to test the program on a RPi3 and it's working pretty well. Added quite a lot of visible and less visible features.

This WE, I should be able to release the first version the RPi3/LINUX RASBIAN, X86/DEBIAN and MAC version.

Here are the executables on the MidyAX 2 :
- MidyAX 2 for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
- MidyAX 2 for Mac OS
- MidyAX 2 for LINUX/X86

Raspberry Pi version was compiled on RaspBian Linux
Mac OS version was compiled on version 10.11.4 of the system
LINUX/X86 was compiled on DEBIAN 32bit version 7.5 running in a VirtualBox on a MAC. AFAIK it should work for other LINUX distributions on X86 environnements.

Both Raspberry and LINUX/X86 versions need the ALSA libraries to be installed (needed for MIDI IN/OUT)

I have tested these versions in "dirty" environnements that included the development tool and many lib that might not be in the environnement you will used it. This is specially true for LINUX version. Please let know if you run into a problem trying to get the MidyAX 2 to run. I will gladly welcome feedbacks or bug reports.

I will explain the functioning of the program in the next few posts.

Enjoy

Last edited:
So the basic operation of the MidyAX 2 is has follow :
- receive MIDI CC controls values from a MIDI control surface like BCR2000
- Map specific CC control to user defined parameter of the AXE-FX : CC 1 on MIDI channel 1 will control the Drive of AMP1 effect block on the AXE-FX
- translate the CC message to AXE-FX SYSEX and send them to the AXE-FX

First step is to define the MIDI connections in this dialog (MidyAX/MIDI SetUp):
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20MIDI%20Setup.png

Then define the Mapping between the MIDI channel/CC number and the AXE-FX parameters in this dialog (MidyAX/Midi Mapping):
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20MIDI%20Mapping.png

In the main window the CC and SYSEX messages are displayed as they are received from the MIDI control surface and sent to the AXE-FX :
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20Main%20Window.png

The CC messages received on the AXE-FX MIDI channel will not be translated and will go direct to the AXE_FX as CCs. This allows to use MIDI Control surfaces that only have USB interfaces with the AXE-FX to control all that is "exposed" by the AXE-FX. See the CTRL tab of the I/O menu on the Front Panel of the AXE for the full list.

Last edited:
There are 2 MIDI controller windows, one for the Behringer BCR2000 and one for the Behringer BCF2000. These windows reflect the Knobs/Sliders layout of these controllers but are not specific to these MIDI controllers and can be used to control AXE-FX parameters with other MIDI controllers like Arturia BeatStep, Livid Code 2, DJ Techtools Midi Fighter Twister, ....

Both these dialogs are still in the making and for now don't fully reflect the BCR2000 and BCF2000.

The BCF2000 windows allows to assign an individual MIDI mapping (as defined in the MIDI mapping window) to a visual representation of a BCF2000 sliders. To do this use the ComboBox above each slider in the BCF2000 window.
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20BCF2000.png

To get it to actually correspond to the physical slider on the BCF2000 one as to make sure that the MIDI channel/CC number matches the ones of the physical slider on the BCF2000.

In the example the AXE-FX parameter AMP 1 - Drive is mapped to CC 81 on MIDI channel 2. On the BCF200, the CC81 on MIDI Channel 2 is assign to the first physical slider (on the left) of the BCF2000.
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20BCF2000%20list%20of%20available%20mappings.png

The ComboBox allows to choose other individual Mappings for that slider.

Similarly on the BCR2000 windows, individual MIDI mapping can be assign to Knobs of the BCR2000 :
https://www.sfrcloud.sfr.fr/web/app/share/invite/TN9DM97brC
Here the 8 AXE-FX parameters of the AMP 1 graphical equalizer have been mapped to the 8 bottom knobs of the BCR2000 window and can be controlled with the physical knobs on the BCR200 controller since the CC/MIDI channel matches the one on the physical controller.

open

WARNING: For now
- all the parameter values displayed (current, min, max) are from a pretty old version of the firmware V6.00c. For most parameters it is not a big problem.
- the newer parameters will not be available.
I will work on that in the coming months.

Last edited:
On useful feature I put in is a BlownUp display for the parameter that is being controlled from one of the 3 possible MIDI Controller :
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20BlownUp%20Display.png

This Big window will appear as soon as a Knob/Slider is moved on the MIDI controller attach to the MidyAX. It displays the current value of the AXE-FX parameter as it is beeing changed and the Effect block and parameter names. With MIDI controllers that don't have any screen display (most of them), it helps to see which AXE-FX parameter is being changed and its actual value.

When using the BCR200 or BCF2000 display, 2 feature that make it easier to set-up the MIDI mapping are available :
- Map AXE-FX param
- MIDI Learn
They both are available in a contextual menu that will show up when one right clicks on of the "virtual" sliders/knobs.

"Map AXE-FX param" function allows to directly define the parameter that is controlled by the "virtual" sliders/knob :
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20Parameter%20Mapping.png

The MIDI learn allows to quickly learn which CC/Midi Channel is associated with the virtual slider/knob.

Last edited:
The Preferences window available in the MidyAX menu on Linux, and in the MidyAX application menu/Preferences, the following option can be set :
- Sliders and Knobs color vary with value --> The color of the Slidders and Knobs will vary with the value of the AXE-FX parameter. More red as the value gets higher.
- When param value changes display Blown-up window --> Activate/De-activate the Blown-up display that appears as soon as a Slider/Knob is moved on a MIDI controller.
- AXE-FX MIDI channel --> the channel of the AXE-FX as set on the AXE. It also correspond to the MIDI Channel on which CCs received from the MIDI controllers are directly passed on to the AXE-FX. If one of the knob of the BCR2000 is sending CC 11 on AXE-FX MIDI channel (here 10) then that knob will control the OUT1 Volume (in the factory set-up).
- MIDI auto-connect (AXE-FX, BCR2000, BCF2000) --> This option has the MidyAX automatically connect to AXE-FX, BCR2000 and BCF2000 if they are connected to the computer.

2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20Preferences%20Dialog.png

One other option is directly available in the main MidyAX 2 windows :
2016-05-06%20-%20MidyAX%202%20-%20Main%20Window.png

"Activate SYSEX message Logging" option will switch on/off the logging of the CC/SYSEX messages sent/received by the MidyAX from the AXE-FX and the MIDI controllers

The "SYNC" button allows to resync the MidyAX with the current values of the AXE-FX. So this function ask the AXE-FX for all the values of the parameters that are mapped and if these param appear on one of the MIDI controller sends the these resync values to the MIDI controllers (in the case of the BCR2000 and BCF2000 it will update the value displayed on the ring led of the knobs of the physical position of the sliders since the BCF2000 has motorized sliders.

OTHER IMPORTANT FUNCTIONALITIES OF THE MIDYAX:
- if a parameter is changed on the AXE-FX of the preset is changed, the MidyAX will automatically resync with the AXE-FX
- the mapping list is automatically saved in between runs of the program
- the MIDI setup is automatically saved in between runs of the program
- controlling the "virtual" Sliders/Knobs on the screen will automatically update the corresponding Sliders/Knobs on the MIDI controllers (works on BCR2000 and BCF2000)
- on MAC, the MidyAX 2 can run along side AXE-EDIT (not tested on Windows)
- in between run the program will remember which MIDI controller windows where opened and their location on the screen and will reopen them in the same arrangement as when the programmed was last closed

Last edited:
Hi Palygap,

Thanks so much for sharing! Great work! I've been looking to do something like this. (For me the next step is to try mounting a midi pickup and working with it - I've been thinking about using the guitar kind of as a pedalboard itself. Maybe you could just hit a button to turn on/off midi control, "play" a few notes to configure for the next song, and then punch out again. Could also do it on the fly by perhaps muting the input while sending the remaining midi commands. Could even try to send change commands automatically based on recognizing a sequence of notes (?!) It would be very convenient at the very least as there would be less gear to carry, as well as having a many button midi controller in my hand at all times!)

I was thinking of playing around with the functionality - were you going to release the source?

Rik

Hi riktherude,

Thanks for the support.

Fun idea to use the MIDI notes as controls "as a pedalboard itself". If you're looking for MIDI controls on the guitar that could pilot the AXE-FX there is the GUITAR WING from LIVID. It's more a standard MIDI Controller put on the guitar that works wirelessly (with Bluetooth). The GUITAR WING should actually be able to work with the MidyAX 2 since it is a normal MIDI device.
maxresdefault.jpg

Another new type of MIDI controller is ACPAD :
acpad-guitare-midi.jpg

though it is made for acoustic guitars. It also works wirelessly (likely with bluetooth) and should work with the MidyAX.

Here are the executables on the MidyAX 2 :
- MidyAX 2 for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
- MidyAX 2 for Mac OS
- MidyAX 2 for LINUX/X86

Raspberry Pi version was compiled on RaspBian Linux
Mac OS version was compiled on version 10.11.4 of the system
LINUX/X86 was compiled on DEBIAN 32bit version 7.5 running in a VirtualBox on a MAC. AFAIK it should work for other LINUX distributions on X86 environnements.

Both Raspberry and LINUX/X86 versions need the ALSA libraries to be installed (needed for MIDI IN/OUT)

I have tested these versions in "dirty" environnements that included the development tool and many lib that might not be in the environnement you will used it. This is specially true for LINUX version. Please let know if you run into a problem trying to get the MidyAX 2 to run. I will gladly welcome feedbacks or bug reports.

I will explain the functioning of the program in the next few posts.

Enjoy

Tried to download the RPi version and the link appears to point to the OSX version.

Thanks for the info. Fixed the link ( in post 50).

All feedbacks on the application are welcomed.
Hi Palygap, I had contemplated for months the possibility to buy a midi controller to use with the axe but haven't thought about searching for some projects on this forum until today when I found your threads.
My compliments for this great idea and great implementation!
That's what I was hoping to do with a bcr2000 but never purchased one because I couldn't be sure to be able to program it.
Finding your project has been a really nice surprise for me!
Anyway I have a couple questions about your software:
- Does this new software version permits to use the 16 buttons on the bcr2000 (the ones under the first row of encoders) to select the block to edit like in your first hardware midyax?
- If the answer is yes is it possible to do the same on the smaller x-touch mini?

And last, is it possible to have new links to download the apps? The older ones don't work anymore.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom