Newegg customer service rant (false advertising!!)

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Just a word of warning to you all, and also a good venting is needed.

DO NOT BUY FROM NEWEGG IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER OPTION!!!

I bought an ipad advertised as new, and I received a refurbished ipad. I thought maybe I messed up but checking back on the website there are still 2 listed AS NEW.

On Newegg's customer service.. they have a online chat button and also an online customer service by text. These are also false advertising. Attempting to use either will get you a message that they are not currently available. They are just there to fool customers into thinking they have a robust customer service system.

Okay, so calling in.. took me 1.5 hours waiting on hold to get through. Finally they agree the item was advertised falsely and agree to a return. I just received the confirmation email and guess what.. they stuck me with a $75 restock fee. Are you kidding me!!! Now I have to attempt to get ahold of them again. So disappointed with their service. I have bought many computer parts in the past from them without problem but if you have to return anything it is a nightmare so you are warned people!!

Never again Newegg

I concur. I bought a 4 drive NAS (with the drives installed) from them a while back. It arrived loose in a shipping box without any of the original packing and with several inches of empty space to bounce around in. Luckily the thing worked. It was a business purchase, and I was directed not to return it....but jeez!!!

Never again for me as well.

I had a company sell me a Voicelive Rack that had a buzz. I contacted TC Helicon first and contacted company immediately letting them know there was an issue. I was replacing a Voicelive 2 so I knew what it was supposed to sound like. No resolve so I got an RA and sent the item back to the online store I bought if from. Same scoop... they charged me 20% restock because 'they' didn't think there was an issue. I sent it back with every wrapper, paper, wire tie, original box, etc.

Don't think so. I protested my credit card charge and via a couple of form submissions, and a few weeks, the remainder of my money was ultimately refunded in full. So I would say 'always' pay by credit card. Within reason a c/c transaction always favors the consumer in a dispute.

Newegg used to have great customer service. About the time Amazon started to get big, Newegg tried to follow. They let in 3rd party vendors, so you get all kinds of questionable shit from them, and their customer service really dropped off on everything else.

Wow, that’s a bummer to hear about New Egg! I have purchased everything needed to build a high end pc from them twice now, one in 2008 and one in 2016, without a hitch. On the latter one, the first motherboard I recieved was doa, and they replaced it pronto, no questions asked. Too bad it sounds like they have went downhill since then!

I’ve been ordering from newegg for 20 years. I build my own pc’s and I’ve never had one issue. I do stay away from their 3rd party vendors though.

Last edited:
Yes, the third part disconnect is likely a good part of it. In all fairness, the customer service department is probly at their busiest right now after holiday shopping which is likely contributing. They could be handling it better though.

Good call on the credit card dispute. That might be less time than trying to get thru to Newegg again.

NewEgg used to be awesome. Haven’t purchased from the in quite a while, sad to hear of such issues. I stick with credit card purchasing with many vendors so I have a second line of defense on shady deals.

I’m guessing the holiday returns are killing a lot of online vendors customer service right now.

Yep, NewEgg "used to be" awesome, but they screwed the pooch with me on a product return in 2008. They refused to accept a DOA return on a $250 motherboard, claiming that I had "bent the pins" on the DIMM sockets. o_O After many phone calls and escalating through four levels of management they suggested I shop elsewhere.

Since then I've spent thousands at other sources for parts and products.

They’re notoriously terrible now. Used to be the go-to for any computer parts. I believe the management changed some years ago and they outsourced customer service and it’s jist a general mess. I would never chance it with them after all the horror stories I’ve heard about them over the last decade.

I discovered newegg a long long long time ago
2004- I was 18/19
..and for a long time they were great/nothing was cheaper.

Ordered a new silent pc case
Got a returned one- and by return i mean, had a customers RMA and return notes on it and how/why it was defective

It was sent back to newegg and sold to me without even opening it/looking at it etc
total bullshit

Back
Top Bottom