Newbie XL Owner - Ultra Res - What needs installed?

zerolight

Inspired
Hi folks. Sorry for the newbie question. I had an Ultra for a year and sold it when the II came out. Ended up unable to get a II due to long wait time and bought an amp instead. I've finally sold all that off again and have ordered a II XL which should come early next week. I'm preparing all my drivers, etc.

Just been looking through the wiki and see a lot of ultrares cabs are flagged as in the firmware but have cab pack in brackets afterwards - does this mean I have to buy that cab pack to activate it, or is it a free sample of what comes in the larger cab pack?

Also, I see "UltraRes IRs included separately with non-XL firmware:" in the wiki - are these the same cabs as those already in the XL or additional freebies?

Finally, as a medium and high gain user mostly, which packs do I need to buy, if any?

Thanks

Graham

The XL comes with 28 ultra res as factory cabs (vs the II which are included in firmware so you could load in the user slots). The UR included in XL/IIare samples from FAS, OH, TAF, and possibly others, no activation required.

There are free ultra res IRs posted all over the forum too but the following currently ship in Ultra Res format:
-FAS Cab Pack 3 (Ownhammer), Cab Pack 4, Cab Pack 5
-TheAmpFactory Cab Legends, Mesa Boogie 4x12 (free download)

Other than that, buy Cab Lab from Fractal. It allows you to mix IRs and is required to convert .wav files to ultra res format. The latest Ownhammer and TAF offerings provide normal resolution .syx files and waves so you can convert to ultra res I should you own CabLab. It's a licensing thing.

Cheers

Thanks. Have gone out and bought the two OH 412 Studio Mixes. Also took some TAF freebies to try - StudioDelta demo and the free Mesa cab.

Back
Top Bottom