Newbie to Fractal - Buy used FXIII MKII or new FM9?

Thanks bebaldwin. "Coming from a Helix you wouldn't notice the difference" - don't quite know what context you said that in? I ended up ordering the FC12 from fractal, I guess I should have waited. You think the warranty is necessary?
Sorry, I should have been more clear, you wouldn't notice the difference between the AxeFx III standard and Turbo. I would get the warranty. It's a computer so you just never know. Even used, it's a lot of money so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, you wouldn't notice the difference between the AxeFx III standard and Turbo. I would get the warranty. It's a computer so you just never know. Even used, it's a lot of money so it's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for clarifying.

So I just got the invite to buy the FXIII MK II with Turbo, went ahead and bought it (600 bucks more than the used one). Figured the warranty may not be worth 400 (the Turbo was 200) but went ahead and did it. Will be returning the used FXIII (it had a ding on it too :)). I have played it just once so far, but was blown away! I like the Helix, but the FX III is sumtin else!!!

Last edited:
I just bought the FC12 last week and I now see a FC12 MK II is out. Only bigger display right? Not much else different?

I just bought the FC12 last week and I now see a FC12 MK II is out. Only bigger display right? Not much else different?

That's what it looks like. Gotta love bad timing. If it makes you feel better, the FC12 MK I has the same size displays as the FM3 and FM9.

14 day return window, just saying.
Is this FC12 MKII worth $149 more? Also, I have to pay shipping both ways for my return right, so thats another $70 shipping. So the FC12 MKII worth $220 more than the original FC12?

Last edited:
Is this FC12 MKII worth $249 more? Also, I have to pay shipping both ways for my return right, so thats another $70 shipping. So the FC12 MKII worth $320 more than the original FC12?
As far as I know and what the and website shows it is just larger font and different type of mini-displays that are character-based vice graphical. If you have no problem with what you see on your current FC-12 then I’d say it’s not worth it. Don’t forget with FW 19.02 you can invert the font on the lower 12 switches located in FC edit device config menu.

Last edited:
As far as I know and what the and website shows it is just larger font and different type of graphic. If you have no problem with what you see on your current FC-12 then I’d say it’s not worth it. Don’t forget with FW 19.02 you can invert the font on the lower 12 switches Located in FC edit device config menu.
Thanks rhummellh, should have the FC12 tomorrow so I will check relative to the display...i don't gig so I'm hoping it should be ok :)

Thanks rhummellh, should have the FC12 tomorrow so I will check relative to the display...i don't gig so I'm hoping it should be ok :)
How do you like your FC 12 Mk1? Here's a video for a comparison with the Mk2 for you. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/got-an-fc-6-mark-ii-quick-overview-video.181946/
Just in case you want to return and switch for the extra $. After seeing this if I had the extra $, I would get the Mk 2 but I don't so I'm just fine with the Mk1 at least for now, lol. Hope you are enjoying your new kick ass toys, haha.

As I wrote elsewhere there are benefits for both version IMO and they deserve to be available (I’ll probably get both):
  • Mk I: smaller mini displays but more resistant and built like a tank.
  • Mk II: larger mini displays, but this inevitably make a floor unit more fragile.
They both have a use, they are both great!

Is this FC12 MKII worth $149 more? Also, I have to pay shipping both ways for my return right, so thats another $70 shipping. So the FC12 MKII worth $220 more than the original FC12?
Since you don't gig, I'd say that's a hard no.

How do you like your FC 12 Mk1? Here's a video for a comparison with the Mk2 for you. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/got-an-fc-6-mark-ii-quick-overview-video.181946/
Just in case you want to return and switch for the extra $. After seeing this if I had the extra $, I would get the Mk 2 but I don't so I'm just fine with the Mk1 at least for now, lol. Hope you are enjoying your new kick ass toys, haha.
Thanks much rhummellh, I like the "look" of the Mk I better, maybe my mind protecting me from wasting money returning it :)

Back
Top Bottom