Newbie to Fractal - Buy used FXIII MKII or new FM9?

bharjhol

I am going to jump into a Fractal product, switching from a Helix. I can currently buy a used FXIII MKII (not Turbo) for $1950+tax. I am trying to decide whether to buy this or buy a new FM9 when available (I'm in no rush). I don't gig (this just for home studio/recording). My initial thought is the FXIII at 350 bucks would be a better buy. What do you think? Also, should I be worried about no warranty on used FXIII and is Turbo really needed? Any help is much appreciated.

Not to belabor the obvious, but which device do you want, a rack-mount powerhouse, or an advanced pedal format modeler?
Overall texture will be the same, but the III can do stuff the FM9 can't.
OTOH, the III needs a footswitch for most uses, upping the cost beyond the device itself, and making it a different transport and setup package.
Both are awesome.

I'd get the used III. Since you don't gig, you'd only need a floor controller if you want to change things while playing. I have a III and don't gig, and I still haven't even set up my FC-12.
The other reason I say get the III is, you can enjoy it now, as opposed to waiting. Even though you say you're in no rush, once you have it, I think you'll be very glad you got it sooner rather than later. It's that awesome!
No one can really tell you if you need a Turbo. The non-Turbo is really powerful, able to run very complex presets. About the only thing it seems that guys say they need the Turbo for, is running super-complex, "kitchen sink" presets, and the new Full Res IR's. Maybe do a search here for Turbo.

Not to belabor the obvious, but which device do you want, a rack-mount powerhouse, or an advanced pedal format modeler?
Overall texture will be the same, but the III can do stuff the FM9 can't.
OTOH, the III needs a footswitch for most uses, upping the cost beyond the device itself, and making it a different transport and setup package.
Both are awesome.
Thanks Dave. I will end up buying the FC12 anyway if I go with the FXIII .....so the overall cost does increase. Does the FC12 offer more functionality over the FMP9 footswitches?

I'd get the used III. Since you don't gig, you'd only need a floor controller if you want to change things while playing. I have a III and don't gig, and I still haven't even set up my FC-12.
The other reason I say get the III is, you can enjoy it now, as opposed to waiting. Even though you say you're in no rush, once you have it, I think you'll be very glad you got it sooner rather than later. It's that awesome!
No one can really tell you if you need a Turbo. The non-Turbo is really powerful, able to run very complex presets. About the only thing it seems that guys say they need the Turbo for, is running super-complex, "kitchen sink" presets, and the new Full Res IR's. Maybe do a search here for Turbo.
Thanks TSJMajesty, that's a great perpective, enjoy it now. Makes sense. Part of me says if I'm spending this much dough for the FX3, may as well wait for the new Turbo to become available in a month or so and get that, but that would be 2499+tax so about 500-600 more than the used one I'm thinking of getting, I don't know if that is worth it (plus the 599 for the FC12). I guess the quest for more never ends:) and by that token one may want to wait for a better FX4 (who knows when that will be LOL).

The FC-12 has 4 Midi Controller inputs, and two switch inputs on the back. Nice bright readable displays. Built like a tank...

The FC-12 has 3 more switches than the FM9. They both use the same 9 available layouts (8 regular plus 1 master layout) each with 12 programable switch positions, and all the same footswitch functions available. The FC-12 also has 4 expression pedal inputs plus two dual external switch inputs. The FM9 has 3 pedal inputs that can take either an expression pedal or 1 switch each.

I'd go for the used III if space and portability are not as important. Since you're considering the FM9, the Turbo shouldn't really be a concern. The non-Turbo III is about twice as powerful as the FM9 already. Considering the chip shortage issues, it might be a while before you'd actually get an FM9 anyway.

Thanks Dave. I will end up buying the FC12 anyway if I go with the FXIII .....so the overall cost does increase. Does the FC12 offer more functionality over the FMP9 footswitches?
TBH I haven't investigated the FM9's footswitching capabilities in detail.
I'm just a happy Axe III v1 owner, no need to.

But footswitches and controls on a floor unit is really different ergonomically than a III and an FC.
Not better or worse, but definitely different.

Also...
  • Being able to get it sooner rather than later may be really important to you, or not.
  • If you spend as much as a used III, that's only a net savings if you aren't going to wish you had a Turbo or an FM9.
  • Personally I only use the editor maybe 10% of the time, for specific things like copying front another preset. Rest of the time I use the front panel and don't turn on the computer. Many people only use the editor, and don't touch the front panel. The reason I mention that is that I want footswitches on the floor, and bending over all the time to edit down there would suck, so I'm happier with the III than the FM9.

The FC-12 has 3 more switches than the FM9. They both use the same 9 available layouts (8 regular plus 1 master layout) each with 12 programable switch positions, and all the same footswitch functions available. The FC-12 also has 4 expression pedal inputs plus two dual external switch inputs. The FM9 has 3 pedal inputs that can take either an expression pedal or 1 switch each.

I'd go for the used III if space and portability are not as important. Since you're considering the FM9, the Turbo shouldn't really be a concern. The non-Turbo III is about twice as powerful as the FM9 already. Considering the chip shortage issues, it might be a while before you'd actually get an FM9 anyway.
Thanks Mr_Fender, i didnt know the FXIII is twice as more powerful as the FM. That CPU horsepower wise I assume.

TBH I haven't investigated the FM9's footswitching capabilities in detail.
I'm just a happy Axe III v1 owner, no need to.

But footswitches and controls on a floor unit is really different ergonomically than a III and an FC.
Not better or worse, but definitely different.

Also...
  • Being able to get it sooner rather than later may be really important to you, or not.
  • If you spend as much as a used III, that's only a net savings if you aren't going to wish you had a Turbo or an FM9.
  • Personally I only use the editor maybe 10% of the time, for specific things like copying front another preset. Rest of the time I use the front panel and don't turn on the computer. Many people only use the editor, and don't touch the front panel. The reason I mention that is that I want footswitches on the floor, and bending over all the time to edit down there would suck, so I'm happier with the III than the FM9.
Hi Dave, Would you elaborate on "but footswitches and controls on a floor unit is really different ergonomically than a III and an FC"? Based on hearing reviews that the FX III is not easy to use from the front panel, I foresee using Axe edit more often than not or even most of the time. The reason I think this is that even with the Helix Floor unit being very user friendly device, I found myself gravitating to HX edit.

Axe III and FC12 - dont wait your not going to believe how amazing it is - light years ahead of Line6 Helix IMO - been there done that - all set never looked back

You will be blown away by the AXE III and promise you will be way better guitarist the day you use it

if its just for recording even fm9 is overkill yet axe fx3....i would suggest fm3 if your intention is good guitar tone with some quality fx. If you are doing semi
pro/pro recordings you will anyways for the most part not use reverbs and delays or use them only for monitoring.

I have an Axe Fx3, if i was not gigging with it...for ONLY studio/recording purposes i would get fm3 or maybe an fm9.

Back
Top Bottom