Newbie to Fractal - Buy used FXIII MKII or new FM9?

I do. I put it in mine because I have one, but it's not needed.
Thanks TS.....wondering if I should do 2u or 3u. The thing I don't like with the 3u is having a blank space above the FX3. Nevertheless, looking at

1. 3U G-PRO-3U-13 Pro-Series Roto-Molded Military-Grade Rack Case (13 Deep, 3 RU)
2. 3U Gator Lightweight Molded 3U Rack Case with Heavy Duty Latches; Shallow 14.25" depth, 3U (GR-3S)
3. 3U SKB 3U Roto Rack (1SKB-R3U)
4. 2U SKB Roto-Molded 2U Shallow Rack (1SKB-R2S)

Any reco from these or some other?

It's a 3U device so a 2U rack will be a no-go...
OK thanks, what's the optimum case depth? They are all over the place. G-PRO-3U-13 is 13.25", Gator molded is 14.25" the SKB 1SKB-R3U) is 17", and the SKB shallow is 10.5" which I assume will be a tight fit.

Last edited:
OK thanks, what's the optimum case depth? They are all over the place. G-PRO-3U-13 is 13.25", Gator molded is 14.25" the SKB 1SKB-R3U) is 17", and the SKB shallow is 10.5" which I assume will be a tight fit.
I have a 6U Gator shallow case. That works fine and allows me space in the back.

I have a front of rack patch panel and typically leave the back cover on (with mostly right angle plugs).

For home only use you won't probably care about that but needless to say a shallow case will be fine.

Anyone use FX3 only at home use a rack case? is it unnecessary for home use?

Should be able to plug in the new FX3 and the FC12, can't wait :)
It's not needed but you might want one if you want to move the Axe-Fx 3 around to gigs or want to permanently mount it somewhere convenient or if you want to add other things to it. For example a patchbay under the front panel so you don't need to reach in the back to connect stuff, a wireless unit or maybe a poweramp for running into real guitar cabs.

I don't know if anyone makes an expandable rack case that could grow a few rack units based on your needs.

Wait for AxeFx V Mark III. It will include Steve Vai and Satriani skills, Mustaine spider rifs ability in firmware 76.1. Of course, only available once you connect yourself straight into AxeFx V Mark III through human USB7.2 port.

Was torn between the 3U G-PRO-3U-13 and the SKB 3U shallow but based on the number of folks swearing by SKB, I ordered a SKB 3U shallow.

So a caveat to begin with - I am, at best, an average guitar player (more like below average); home player only, never played professionally...so I guess my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. Having said that, this thing right here below, I have fallen in love with it! I won't even focus on the factory presets which absolutely floored me! Out of the box, unbelievably good factory presets (helix factory presets I found to be pretty terrible)! So instead, let's talk creating a new preset - this is what I wanted to test - I had heard that with the great UI the Helix has (and I don't think anyone can deny that the Helix UI is very intuitive), it is easier to create a new preset and have a great tone quicker on a Helix compared to the FX3. What I found was the opposite! I found that I was able to get a great/the exact tone I wanted much quicker on the Axe FX 3, I didn't even have to tweak the settings on the Amp, effects et al, too much.

Now here's something that happened while I was playing - a couple of family members came from another room and said wow, you sound amazing! I told them I had got a new guitar processor - And my kid goes, wow, dad you gotta keep whatever that new toy you bought and sell your other stuff :) - don't feel bad now about paying 650 bucks more for a new one with Turbo over the used one I initially bought.

While I liked the Helix very much too, after playing this amazing thang, the Helix has been sold! Thank you to you all for helping me with your input, I really appreciate it! Haven't used the FC12 yet, hope that doesn't disappoint.

Axe FX.jpg

Now here's something that happened while I was playing - a couple of family members came from another room and said wow, you sound amazing! I told them I had got a new guitar processor - And my kid goes, wow, dad you gotta keep whatever that new toy you bought and sell your other stuff :) - don't feel bad now about paying 650 bucks more for a new one with Turbo over the used one I initially bought.
I love it! That's something I'd not yet read from anyone. How cool is that?

Back
Top Bottom