Newbie seeks advice on system build

Moondog Wily

Experienced
Hi All;

Looking into getting a Axe III and want to gather some thoughts from experienced users prior to heading down this path. First let me shed a little background on who I am and what I want to do with this equipment.

Never had any "real" amps for various reasons. Had a little fender tube amp (don't remember model, long gone), had a pretty nice Ampeg combo bass amp (long gone) and currently have a Fender Mustang LT25 digital amp (bit of a joke in the amp world IMO but gives me an easy amp option). Long and short is, I have played more guitar this year than in the past 30 years combined, and I am starting to feel the urge to chase different amp and effects to generate various sounds. With Frank Zappa being the god of music in my world, and his son Dweezil recently doing an interview where he talked about how great the Axe is, I am being pushed over the edge to follow suggestions I have heard over the past year or so that I give this amp modeler a try. I am also no spring chicken, and don't have the desire to be hauling around amps and cabinets if I can more or less emulate them with this set up and some nice FRFR's. I have not purchased one yet, and that is what this post is about, what to purchase, things to look out for, possible deals to be had, extras to get from the start, enclosure choices, etc. Here goes.

I am thinking of getting the Axe III MkII along with the FC12. I saw a bundle a couple of months back (I think it was these two items plus an expression pedal) for $2899 or something like that. I do not see it on the website anymore. Anybody know about this deal, if it comes around from time to time, if it was a one time offer, etc.? Is there a better way to get at least the Axe and FC12 for a similar or lower price? Pedal would be an item I would not be worried about immediately considering the type of stuff I am playing at the moment but if it came with a bundle I know I would play around with it - although other pedals from other mfrs may interest me more than Fractals offering. I want to buy direct if possible, but would consider other options as long as it was through factory authorized channels to preserve warranty coverage.

On the Axe III MkII, how hard do I need to be pushing it before I need the Turbo option (+$200). I am all for it if it gives better performance at all levels, but I am well versed in computer programming (it is what I do for a living past 25+ years), computer builds (have built dozens of boxes) and electronics in general (Radio Shack 100 in 1 Science kit was favorite toy as child), and I understand that unless I am pushing a computer based box to a certain level, extra processing power can be worthless. So, do I need to be having 4 scenes and 3 amps loaded before I really need the turbo processing power? Cause if that is the case, I know I would not need something with that much power (for now and by the time I would need it, there will be a newer model to upgrade to that will be even faster than Axe III with turbo).

Any drawbacks to look out for with the FC12 switcher? I know there are other choices out there that I could pair up with the Axe, so any feedback on that item is appreciated. Are they as tough as Boss pedals when it comes to durability?

Are the EV-1 or EV-2 pedals worth having or are there better options you can point to that are more versatile, more durable, less expensive, better choice for reason xyz, etc.?

On FRFR's, I have a pair of IRX108BT's, and although they are far from top of the line, they are pretty nice. But what would y'all buy? I have heard really good things about the Headrush (specifically the FRFR108's) stuff as well as the CLR and Friedman. I would want to use them as my PA speakers live (probably use my JBL's as monitors if I was convinced they were not worthy of an Axe feed as my PA)! Would want them to be able to work as wedges or on stands, in stereo (but not from one cab like I think Friedman has).

I intend on getting a rolling case to hold the Axe, my Tascam Model 12 mixboard, a power supply, mic preamp and probably a Rupert Neve RNDI-S. I have been very happy with my Gator products (especially their Titan guitar cases and Frame Works mic stands) but would be interested in other mfrs that y'all think are top notch!

Am I missing anything? I have a very nice selection of instrument, XLR, USB and other cables, so I think I am good to go there. Dialed in on guitars as well (although I am searching for "the one" in an acoustic but local offerings more or less are non-existent so I need to be patient until I can put my hands on some nice examples)!

Thanks for any light you can shed on these items. I very much appreciate any and all feedback!!

Cheers~
MW

Not sure if anyone can answer all your questions, most them depend how you use it.

On the price:
Might want to wait for the black Friday sale. Usually you will get some good discounts and or bundles

On the FC12:
You can use any midi pedal, but with all the options that are baked into the FC12 and Axe Edit, you would be losing a lot of functionality for a few $$$. FC6 is cheaper and still gives you a lot of control.

On exp pedals:
I have never owned the EV's, and tried a few other brands. I prefer the cheap M Audio pedals, because of the size and they are low to the ground... works for me

On FRFR speakers:
I have not heard the JBL's, but cant recall anyone using them either. Getting a Xitone\CLR would be my recommendation if can afford it. I dont like the Headrush speakers, but they are hard to beat for the money. I have gigged with few different PA speakers, but the Yamaha DXR12 sounds the best to my ears.

Consider the FM3 and FM9 instead. The Axe-Fx 3 is overkill for many users and picking it just because Dweezil likes it is not a good reason to get it. Look up the differences of the floorboard models and see if the limitations of those are something you would be ok with. Want to save money, just get a FM9.

Hello Wily! I’m glad to see you on another forum!

Lots of question, and that’s wise! It doesn’t cost to ask, but we’ve all been down the road of buying and then finding out we needed more/less/something different. I’ll hit what I can…

Hi All;

Looking into getting a Axe III and want to gather some thoughts from experienced users prior to heading down this path. First let me shed a little background on who I am and what I want to do with this equipment.

Never had any "real" amps for various reasons. Had a little fender tube amp (don't remember model, long gone), had a pretty nice Ampeg combo bass amp (long gone) and currently have a Fender Mustang LT25 digital amp (bit of a joke in the amp world IMO but gives me an easy amp option). Long and short is, I have played more guitar this year than in the past 30 years combined, and I am starting to feel the urge to chase different amp and effects to generate various sounds. With Frank Zappa being the god of music in my world, and his son Dweezil recently doing an interview where he talked about how great the Axe is, I am being pushed over the edge to follow suggestions I have heard over the past year or so that I give this amp modeler a try. I am also no spring chicken, and don't have the desire to be hauling around amps and cabinets if I can more or less emulate them with this set up and some nice FRFR's. I have not purchased one yet, and that is what this post is about, what to purchase, things to look out for, possible deals to be had, extras to get from the start, enclosure choices, etc. Here goes.
FZ is a worthy example, and Dweezil has not only carried Dad’s torch but furthered it with his own explorations.
I am thinking of getting the Axe III MkII along with the FC12. I saw a bundle a couple of months back (I think it was these two items plus an expression pedal) for $2899 or something like that. I do not see it on the website anymore. Anybody know about this deal, if it comes around from time to time, if it was a one time offer, etc.? Is there a better way to get at least the Axe and FC12 for a similar or lower price? Pedal would be an item I would not be worried about immediately considering the type of stuff I am playing at the moment but if it came with a bundle I know I would play around with it - although other pedals from other mfrs may interest me more than Fractals offering. I want to buy direct if possible, but would consider other options as long as it was through factory authorized channels to preserve warranty coverage.
The Axe Fx III is the flagship. As a jumping off place, you’re definitely in the deep end of the pool, capability-wise. The FM3/9 are also possibilities that would free you from needing a midi pedal, but if you want maximum capabilities, the III is your target. Being as you already rack your gear, it’s a lot of tone for the cost of a few rack spaces. They do have the sales from time to time, as well as B-Stock sales that can save you money and have the full warranty. The FC 12 is a Fractal-only proposition, it doesn‘t control other devices though you can do that through the III. On the positive side, it’s totally native to the III, has its own computer editor, and is very flexible.
On the Axe III MkII, how hard do I need to be pushing it before I need the Turbo option (+$200). I am all for it if it gives better performance at all levels, but I am well versed in computer programming (it is what I do for a living past 25+ years), computer builds (have built dozens of boxes) and electronics in general (Radio Shack 100 in 1 Science kit was favorite toy as child), and I understand that unless I am pushing a computer based box to a certain level, extra processing power can be worthless. So, do I need to be having 4 scenes and 3 amps loaded before I really need the turbo processing power? Cause if that is the case, I know I would not need something with that much power (for now and by the time I would need it, there will be a newer model to upgrade to that will be even faster than Axe III with turbo).
As a computer guy, you know any processor can be overloaded if you set your mind to it! I have used the MK I version gigging since 2018 and never ran into a processor issue, with some pretty wild presets. Check out some of the presets already in the unit with multiple amps and cabs in 8 scenes with channels and you’ll see what I mean. If money is available, it never hurts to buy the top of the line, just like computers. But, in the same vein, most users won’t require it.
Any drawbacks to look out for with the FC12 switcher? I know there are other choices out there that I could pair up with the Axe, so any feedback on that item is appreciated. Are they as tough as Boss pedals when it comes to durability?
I tried the FC 12 and liked it. It’s very well made, and as noted earlier, you simply will not find a more capable, native plug and play controller for the III. In my case, I was already using another controller from RJM and stayed with it for its particular capabilities. I should mention mine cost more than double the FC12… you can save a lot of money by staying FAS.
Are the EV-1 or EV-2 pedals worth having or are there better options you can point to that are more versatile, more durable, less expensive, better choice for reason xyz, etc.?
Like everything Fractal, very well made and purpose built.
On FRFR's, I have a pair of IRX108BT's, and although they are far from top of the line, they are pretty nice. But what would y'all buy? I have heard really good things about the Headrush (specifically the FRFR108's) stuff as well as the CLR and Friedman. I would want to use them as my PA speakers live (probably use my JBL's as monitors if I was convinced they were not worthy of an Axe feed as my PA)! Would want them to be able to work as wedges or on stands, in stereo (but not from one cab like I think Friedman has).
I’d try whatever you have first, and see how accurate the tones are compared to your PA. I use the CLR or RCF NX series, but the first is near non-existent in the market these days, and the second is pricey. People like the Friedman though they are large, and Xitone is popular with some here… I have no personal experience with them.
I intend on getting a rolling case to hold the Axe, my Tascam Model 12 mixboard, a power supply, mic preamp and probably a Rupert Neve RNDI-S. I have been very happy with my Gator products (especially their Titan guitar cases and Frame Works mic stands) but would be interested in other mfrs that y'all think are top notch!

Am I missing anything? I have a very nice selection of instrument, XLR, USB and other cables, so I think I am good to go there. Dialed in on guitars as well (although I am searching for "the one" in an acoustic but local offerings more or less are non-existent so I need to be patient until I can put my hands on some nice examples)!
You're set. A nice thing about the Axe Fx is that you don’t have to have a separate FRFR. If your mains and monitors sound good, you can just go direct… or use IEMs. There are plenty of outputs with individual controls, and you can route things in a way that allows different EQs on each, if needed.
Thanks for any light you can shed on these items. I very much appreciate any and all feedback!!

Cheers~
MW
Good to have you on the Fractal Forum!

Rick

For what it's worth, I had a lot of the same questions prior to switching to Fractal 100%. I watched a ton of vids, read a ton of reviews, read this forum to see what people were REALLY experiencing and went with the AX8 at the time - it was AWESOME. Since then, I went to the Axe Fx III MK 1, and then the MK II when it came out. I've not experienced any point where I wanted to do something and couldn't, and at every show my tone out front has sounded great to me, and also been commented on by other musicians and guitar players as sounding great. I never think that I'm not playing through an amp on stage, it feels great to play through the Axe.

As for the extra $200 - if I were ordering today I'd get it just because it's available and I'm already spending a good chunk of change. If you're a big Zappa fan and want to push the envelope of sounds and tone, etc. maybe the III is the way to go - but - also really take a look at the FM9 because it's pretty powerful (seeming - based on what I've read, seen, listened to - but I'm not a current owner of it).

The FC12 does so much - so if you want maximum flexibility with switching and control, I'd also agree with your choice there.

Do a search in the forum on FRFRs - there are a ton of threads on them with all sorts of comparisons.

just my .02.

If I were just starting in modeler land I’d get the FM9. Just to make sure you like it and for ease of it being a smaller all in one. The iii is great though and I’d get the top model i’d going that route- no compromise . I do have some presets on my iii that wouldn’t run on a FM3 or FM9 due to CPU, but i would never need that full power for when I play live where i’m mostly one amp and a few effects. I guess this is hard question since we don’t know enough about you and how you will use it.

So, do I need to be having 4 scenes and 3 amps loaded before I really need the turbo processing power?
Just want to clarify this point a little as it seems to indicate some misunderstanding with regards to amps and scenes:
  • Scenes have no impact on how much processing power you need, a scene is simply a set of saved channel and bypass settings for each block in your preset. There are 8 scenes in each preset, so you can save 8 different channel and bypass states for the whole preset.
  • On the Axe Fx III and the FM9 you can have 2 amp blocks in any preset. Each of those amp blocks has 4 channels, so you potentially have 8 different amp sounds available in one preset, but only 2 of them can be active in each scene. On the FM3 you only have 1 Amp Block available
  • I believe in the Axe Fx III the Amp block(s) essentially have their own dedicated processor, with all the other blocks running off the second DSP in the device.
  • What really makes an impact on the processing power you need in a given preset is the number of blocks that you have active in that preset (particularly resource hungry ones like the reverb and drive blocks), and to a lesser extent what the settings are in those blocks. (e.g the reverb block has a quality setting that affects the processing power it sucks up). Depending on the device you have, you have different numbers of blocks available to you of any given type. (e.g. 2 Reverb Blocks available on the Axe Fx III and FM9, but only 1 on the FM3).

I have the FC-12 and EV-1, and they're rock solid. The only issue I've had is that at one point I needed to tighten up the nut on each switch on the FC-12.
I have a Xitone, but recently switched to IEMs, and to be honest very rarely bring the Xitone to shows any more. I think if you want PA speakers, then you should buy good quality PA speakers, and not worry about FRFR. In my mind they're two different use cases and if you try to get something that fits both you might end up getting something that handles both O.K. but doesn't excel at either. I think if you get really good quality PA speakers then you can't go wrong.

If you don't mind hauling around a 3U rack case then get the Axe Fx III + FC-12 and EV-1 and you might as well max it out with turbo if you can afford it. If you want more portability, lower cost and don't mind not having the flagship model then maybe look at the FM9 with an EV-1.

Last edited:
Hi Moondog

Having gigged a Kemper for a number of years (since moving to the Axe I only play in my studio), once you start to purchase a rack case, a power amp, a case for the pedalboard, a monitoring system etc, you can easily end up with equal/more weight than an amp and cab. I found I had just as much weight but in more managable portion (this ends up being more journeys to the car, more packing up etc). The right form factor is really important with these things and probably just as important as CPU (Kemper never had a floor unit when I bought mine).

I would start with figuring out how you wish to use the Axe, then how you will monitor, what other things you may need (effects you can't live without, power protectors, IEM) how you will transport it and then work backwards to form factor.

The same for the footpedal, work out what you want to control and how. The 12 is a big board, I went with the 6 and it's a very flexible unit. Also some prefer 2 FC6's over a single FC12 so you can start with an FC6 and then see how you get on (you can daisy chain them)

The Fractal Expression Pedal is my only regret purchase, the thing is huge, has a massive sweep and it just sits in a box unused. I have had no luck with Mission pedals as both broke quickly with minimal use, but most love them and the sweep for a wah style pedal is just right (think Crybaby)

One of the most frustrating things with any modeller is when you try to get the exact sound of a certain amp, the fact you have not owned any 'real' amps puts you in good stead to enjoy the unit.

I only use about 50% CPU so if I started to gig, I would purchase an FM9 and have the rack for my studio and the floorboard for live (no FM12 requires)

I will say it's a great unit, very flexible, as complex as you want to make it, and believe me you can do a lot on this unit, and it can nail the amps that I love. I have zero regrets and if you are considering the competition don't, this is The best modeller out there and it keeps getting better and better on what seems like a bi-weekly basis.

Take care bud and remember, part of the fun of a purchase like this is the Class-A obsession, sleepless night and indecision.

Mike

Awesome responses! Thanks a bunch for the feedback!! To be clear, I am NOT buying this because Dweezil likes it. His words in the recent interview with Joe Bonamassa however has pushed me over the edge that I have been on for about a year now, convincing me that I will really like/want this unit ;~)) Do I need it? Hell no! Then again, I don't need 13 guitars either ;~)) I am not trying to specifically emulate any specific thing, just want a lot of sounds at my disposal. When I first got an Ensoniq DP4 20 years ago, I spent a month or so just playing with all the effects and had a great time doing so! Sounds like the Axe will give me unlimited years of entertainment and production value!

On the FM9, it is my understanding that there is a wait list for that unit, which alone is a deal breaker for me. I also am generally a "buy the best and forget" type person. I don't want to keep chasing the next version up, and if I don't like this thing, it would appear that the resale market is pretty solid with what is being paid for used units. At worst it appears I would lose the equivalent of the cost for a couple of nice dinners.

As for the form factor, a rolling case will contain this unit and associated items, so I will not be hefting this stuff about. Sure, there will be times when the rolling unit will need to be lifted into place, but those times will be few and far between, so for the most part I will be lifting nothing, just rolling along ;~))

I really like the idea of two FC6 pedals ShatteredVitreous, thanks a bunch for that recommendation. I did not know they could be daisy chained and I believe that I would get along better with such a setup (even though a few more dollars) as it would allow me to better (in my mind) segregate the switches. Rather than, oh it is that switch in second row, third from right, I would know that abc stuff (scenes maybe) are on pedal a and xyz stuff (say specific effects or amps) are on pedal b. It would also be a great path to start with a single FC6 and determine if I did in fact need a second one. Just the kind of thoughts I am looking for!

I have read a lot on FRFR's, and will continue to research and evaluate what I find. Thanks for the input provided here and elsewhere on the forum (some of which I have already read).

Thanks for all the recommends and input. I will have a lot more questions once I acquire ;~))

Cheers~
MW

Last edited:
Hello Wily! I’m glad to see you on another forum!

Lots of question, and that’s wise! It doesn’t cost to ask, but we’ve all been down the road of buying and then finding out we needed more/less/something different. I’ll hit what I can…

FZ is a worthy example, and Dweezil has not only carried Dad’s torch but furthered it with his own explorations.

The Axe Fx III is the flagship. As a jumping off place, you’re definitely in the deep end of the pool, capability-wise. The FM3/9 are also possibilities that would free you from needing a midi pedal, but if you want maximum capabilities, the III is your target. Being as you already rack your gear, it’s a lot of tone for the cost of a few rack spaces. They do have the sales from time to time, as well as B-Stock sales that can save you money and have the full warranty. The FC 12 is a Fractal-only proposition, it doesn‘t control other devices though you can do that through the III. On the positive side, it’s totally native to the III, has its own computer editor, and is very flexible.

As a computer guy, you know any processor can be overloaded if you set your mind to it! I have used the MK I version gigging since 2018 and never ran into a processor issue, with some pretty wild presets. Check out some of the presets already in the unit with multiple amps and cabs in 8 scenes with channels and you’ll see what I mean. If money is available, it never hurts to buy the top of the line, just like computers. But, in the same vein, most users won’t require it.

I tried the FC 12 and liked it. It’s very well made, and as noted earlier, you simply will not find a more capable, native plug and play controller for the III. In my case, I was already using another controller from RJM and stayed with it for its particular capabilities. I should mention mine cost more than double the FC12… you can save a lot of money by staying FAS.

Like everything Fractal, very well made and purpose built.

I’d try whatever you have first, and see how accurate the tones are compared to your PA. I use the CLR or RCF NX series, but the first is near non-existent in the market these days, and the second is pricey. People like the Friedman though they are large, and Xitone is popular with some here… I have no personal experience with them.

You're set. A nice thing about the Axe Fx is that you don’t have to have a separate FRFR. If your mains and monitors sound good, you can just go direct… or use IEMs. There are plenty of outputs with individual controls, and you can route things in a way that allows different EQs on each, if needed.

Good to have you on the Fractal Forum!

Rick
Good to see you here Rick! I really value your wisdom on that "other" forum, and appreciate your response(s) here!! Type at you soon!!!

Hi Moondog

Glad the information was of some help. I know a few people here rock the dual FC6 setup and I think they use it, as you said, one to select patch then scene, the other to control the effects within the scene. I also think if you are playing decent sized stages and you like to move about, you can place one either side of the stage so you are never too far away.

It's a very flexible pedal with some great preset usage scenarios built in. Be aware that whilst the first pedal will power from the Axe FX, the second will require a power supply. Not a deal-breaker if you ask me.

Ah, the good old back saving roller case, they are really useful.

Good luck with the purchase bud, all I can say is I played a Line6 and was not a fan, I owned and gigged a Kemper, great device but I grew tired of the profile scrolling, then I purchased the Axe and between the amps and the FX, this is a whole new level.

The only thing the Axe does not have that the Kemper did, and if I gigged again I would certainly miss, is a built in power amp.

Mike

Only detail I'll add-on is the fact that while you can certainly daisy chain the FC units, one the first in line draws power from the AF3. Each subsequent FC unit will require a stand-alone power supply. Not a big deal, just worth noting.
Cheers,

Lee

Edit: My typing was tooo slow. lol

Hi Moondog

Glad the information was of some help. I know a few people here rock the dual FC6 setup and I think they use it, as you said, one to select patch then scene, the other to control the effects within the scene. I also think if you are playing decent sized stages and you like to move about, you can place one either side of the stage so you are never too far away.

It's a very flexible pedal with some great preset usage scenarios built in. Be aware that whilst the first pedal will power from the Axe FX, the second will require a power supply. Not a deal-breaker if you ask me.

Ah, the good old back saving roller case, they are really useful.

Good luck with the purchase bud, all I can say is I played a Line6 and was not a fan, I owned and gigged a Kemper, great device but I grew tired of the profile scrolling, then I purchased the Axe and between the amps and the FX, this is a whole new level.

The only thing the Axe does not have that the Kemper did, and if I gigged again I would certainly miss, is a built in power amp.

Mike
Thanks for that detail ShatteredVitreous! As you say, not a deal breaker (for some) but good to know.
Only detail I'll add-on is the fact that while you can certainly daisy chain the FC units, one the first in line draws power from the AF3. Each subsequent FC unit will require a stand-alone power supply. Not a big deal, just worth noting.
Cheers,

Lee

Edit: My typing was tooo slow. lol
Although your speed may not have been a first place finisher, your effort is appreciated. I thereby present you with your very own "Participation Trophy"!
ParticipationTrophy.jpg
Cheers~
MW

I think Moondog will fit in well lol.
And to think I've not even popped my fractal cherry yet! Thanks for the heartfelt welcome!! Hopefully I won't keep buying new guitars instead and will get around to getting this ball rolling!!! The advice here has helped me set my course though and thanks to all for that!!!! Is there an escape pod from this fractal universe once I enter? Are there any fractalologists here who help struggling fract addicts? Asking for a friend!

HI Moondog Wiley,

First - Welcome!...
It sounds like you're good to go!
The sales do pop up from time to time so maybe wait... maybe not? Depends on how keen you are to get started.

As far as whether to get the turbo or not - Look around you .. look at the things that cost more than $200 and think about what they cost, and how often you'd wished you bought a cheaper one :) - You think of the money once and in the overall scheme of things, $200 isn't a great deal more.

See what they sound like with all your options including the JBLs before you make up your mind. That's (IMHO) one of the most important points with a modeller - That the speakers you are making your presets on are accurate and translate well to most systems.

Looking forward to hearing about your first impressions.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi All;

Cheers~
MW

If you really enjoy experimenting with effects and pushing the unit to its limit, the rack unit (Axe FX 3) will give you more mileage. Personally I find that the FX 3 gives me more than enough CPU headroom even when I go crazy with effects to the point where the sound is more reminiscent of a synth or a completely muddy mess, even without the extra processing power of the Turbo.

When it comes to the portability of the rack unit, I find that it has more to do with the rest of your setup than the unit by itself. If you have a cramped home studio setup like me, rigging up and down with all the cable management is a lot more work than carrying the unit to and from the car. Therefore I would advise you to keep the LT25 (which is awesome for the money) until you've gotten to know how the Axe fits in your life. I ended up justifying buying an FM3 in addition to the FX 3 for travel/practice/couch purposes.

As for monitoring, I think you have to go with your gut feeling. For me, my preferred monitoring system varies between the contexts I'm playing in, but none of the most used categories (FRFR, monitors, power amp w/ traditional cab) will give you trouble unless it's incapable of producing the required amount of volume.

Back
Top Bottom