Newbie saying hello an what are dual amps

Greetings all, I am on the waiting list for the ax8 and it will be my first fractal product. (I have been lurking a long time here, youtube, etc.)

The ax8 seems like a perfect unit for me to act as my studio rig for recording and as my fx unit for live. (Amazingly, even the larger venues I play have questionable monitors so I still like my head/cabinet for live performance)

Anyways, I keep seeing that the ax8 lacks the ability to handle dual amps. Even after watching videos, I am still not sure what this is. Is "dual amps" like running one head into another head? Or is it where one would want to have a fender style amp and a marshall style amp that one would switch back and forth on.

Thanks and hello!

hi.

on the Axe-Fx II, you can load 2 amp blocks into the same preset. people do this to either run 2 amps at the same time and blend the tone, possibly panning them. you don't run one into the other, they are side by side.

others use it to change tones within a preset using something called Scenes. difficult to quickly explain that concept, but basically it's another way to change sounds.

the AX8 can only load 1 amp block in a preset, but you can still use the XY feature to change between 2 sounds in your same preset.

for most people, it's best to start using Presets for different sounds, instead of the more complicated XY and Scene concepts, at least at the beginning. my AX8 Beginner's Video explains all of these concepts.

I would add you can have dual cabs though panned and such which adds some nice tonal variety. With that said, I came from a dual amp setup in my pod HD500 and I thought I was really going to miss it and well...I don't. The amps sound so fantastic in the AX...no disappointment without dual amps.

It is referring to two separate amps blended together for different tones. You can still switch between two separate amps using XY switching, you just can't have both active at the same time.
Thanks, I'm mostly a 3 setting player amp wise (Clean, distorted, and boost volume on distortion) so Ill be fine.

Note that using dual amps is the only way to switch between the different sounds truly seamlessly. On AX8 you will have to deal with a little bit of audio fade-out - fade-in when changing presets / scenes / XY states. Not a big deal, but some people find it difficult to cope with.

hi.

on the Axe-Fx II, you can load 2 amp blocks into the same preset. people do this to either run 2 amps at the same time and blend the tone, possibly panning them. you don't run one into the other, they are side by side.

others use it to change tones within a preset using something called Scenes. difficult to quickly explain that concept, but basically it's another way to change sounds.

the AX8 can only load 1 amp block in a preset, but you can still use the XY feature to change between 2 sounds in your same preset.

for most people, it's best to start using Presets for different sounds, instead of the more complicated XY and Scene concepts, at least at the beginning. my AX8 Beginner's Video explains all of these concepts.
And thanks to you! I am no stranger to programming mutlifx units so at least I will be in that mindset once it arrives. I have seen your stuff on youtube and its awesome. I'm sure I will be purchasing one of your videos when my unit come. (I only signed up in late January so I'm sure it will be a while)

Back
Top Bottom