Newbie Questions

xxcobraxx

Hi all, sorry to bother. I just got a used Axe-Fx and its loaded with great patches. I am trying to do a few things:

1) I would like to connect Axe-Fx to an external stereo power amplifier that is dedicated for Axe-Fx. I have seen videos on connecting to amplifiers like my Revv 100p but nothing directly to a power supply which is a monoprice 300w.
2) Once I get the Axe-Fx connected to the power amplifier I would like to use my dedicated Marshall 1960b 4x12 cabinet rather than simulated cabinets.
3) I bought a 2x2 MIDI box and a midi cable and would like to know how to move more patches from my Mac using Axe-Edit to my Axe-Fx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry for any typos or if this information is posted elsewhere. I also looked in the Wiki and owners manual.

Hi all, sorry to bother. I just got a used Axe-Fx and its loaded with great patches. I am trying to do a few things:

1) I would like to connect Axe-Fx to an external stereo power amplifier that is dedicated for Axe-Fx. I have seen videos on connecting to amplifiers like my Revv 100p but nothing directly to a power supply which is a monoprice 300w.
2) Once I get the Axe-Fx connected to the power amplifier I would like to use my dedicated Marshall 1960b 4x12 cabinet rather than simulated cabinets.
3) I bought a 2x2 MIDI box and a midi cable and would like to know how to move more patches from my Mac using Axe-Edit to my Axe-Fx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry for any typos or if this information is posted elsewhere. I also looked in the Wiki and owners manual.
the owners manual describes how to send audio to various other gear.

when you say "power supply" in #1, do you mean Power Amp? you just use Output 1 with XLR or 1/4" cables the same exact way as anything else.

for #2, in GLOBAL settings, turn off Cab Simulation, or remove the Cab block from all Presets (replacing with a Shunt or some other block, as you need it to be connected from Input to Output).

for #3, you need a program that sends SysEx messages. plug the USB from computer into the MIDI box, the MIDI cable from MIDI Out on the box to MIDI In on the Axe. open the SysEx program on the computer, load the SysEx file, then send the file. the Axe should load the Preset, but it is not saved just yet. experiment with the preset, then Store it if you want it. it's best to start on a Blank preset slot on the Axe first. for Windows, most use MIDI-OX, for Mac most use SysEx Librarian.

1) yes, power amp. So I can use a guitar cable to go from output 1 on Axe-Fx to input 1 on the power amp?
2) Stupid question, what is a shunt or some other block? How is the Axe-Fx connected up so that cabinet acts as speakers?
3) I see, I have SysEx but never used it.

Please advise. Thanks.

1) yes, power amp. So I can use a guitar cable to go from output 1 on Axe-Fx to input 1 on the power amp?
2) Stupid question, what is a shunt or some other block? How is the Axe-Fx connected up so that cabinet acts as speakers?
3) I see, I have SysEx but never used it.

Please advise. Thanks.
1 - yes
2 - be sure read the owner's manual. a Shunt is a block that just passes signal through. compare that to a completely empty space on the Layout grid. there needs to be a connection from Input (far left) to Output (far right). if you "delete" the Cab block you'll create a space and signal will not get to the output. you need to instead replace the Cab block with at least a Shunt block.

i don't know what the 2nd question means. "cabinet acts as speakers" - what cabinet? the block or the real thing?

Thanks Gents. I have the wiki and owners manual. I must have been missing this part or not understanding it.
1) got it
2) shunt is a pass-through, got it
3) yes, a real 4x12 1960b Marshall cabinet

3) yes, a real 4x12 1960b Marshall cabinet
Guitar > Axe > Power Amp > 4x12

not sure exactly what you're asking otherwise. if you use a real cab (like your 4x12) you don't want to use Cab simulations. you don't need to simulate it, you're using a real one. this is why you turn off Cabinet Simulations in the Global menu (or remove the Cab block in every preset.)

Alright. I have it setup. I also removed the cab simulator in global as advised. The power amp is connected to the Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx is connected to the 4x12 8 ohm extension port on the 4x12 cabinet and finally Midi is connected to the Mac via USB and from the MIDI 2x2 box I am connected to the MIDI on the Axe-Fx. I will now try and transfer a file. I was hoping that I could do a batch/bulk import of patches but I think it may be one at a time and is probably slow like serial. If I am doing anything wrong please let me know. Thanks!

Another question for now. I have MIDI properly setup I think. I launch Axe-Edit and choose interfaces and default file path. I do the same in SysEx. But, when I go to connect through the MIDI 2x2 I am getting an odd not found error like its searching for a heart-beat and it isn't recognizing the MIDI device. Any thoughts on this? I remember hearing about memory block conflicts and stuff. Feels like old Dos with Edlin :).

A few more questions folks. How do I adjust the master volume in the simulated amplifier on the Axe-Fx? I am searching in the manual and wiki but can't find the exact control point. Also, any help with the MIDI stuff above would be greatly appreciated. At least I can hear the existing patches now. Thanks!

A few more questions folks. How do I adjust the master volume in the simulated amplifier on the Axe-Fx? I am searching in the manual and wiki but can't find the exact control point. Also, any help with the MIDI stuff above would be greatly appreciated. At least I can hear the existing patches now. Thanks!
Use the Master Volume control in the Amp block.

Guys, I was able to move through MIDI about 775 patches via Sysex Lib. I am trying to connect to Axe Edit and it tells me version information cannot be queried and drops the connection. This is in every combination of ports and just USB in/out. Any ideas? Thx.

Hello, I have no idea how to create a topic/post... I can only reply to stuff.... so, here I am..randomly asking someone who sees this to tell me how to start a post. I don't see a button for it.
Please help! lol
Jono Grant

Hello, I have no idea how to create a topic/post... I can only reply to stuff.... so, here I am..randomly asking someone who sees this to tell me how to start a post. I don't see a button for it.
Please help! lol
Jono Grant
7A66F74C-8978-4516-BC22-63A5AA69E486.jpeg
Look for “Post New Thread” on the sub-forum pages.

View attachment 53108
Look for “Post New Thread” on the sub-forum pages.

I don't see that button anywhere... I made an account, I click on "forums", scroll down to "axe fx ultra & standard"
It just expands the box a little bit and shows a couple of other posts or conversations. No post new thread button.
Am I in the wrong place?
Sorry, I'm a complete newbie here
Thanks!
Jono

I don't see that button anywhere... I made an account, I click on "forums", scroll down to "axe fx ultra & standard"
It just expands the box a little bit and shows a couple of other posts or conversations. No post new thread button.
Am I in the wrong place?
Sorry, I'm a complete newbie here
Thanks!
Jono

Back
Top Bottom