Newbie Question: Mono Synth Output

ToTheAtom

Sorry to clutter the forum with a newbie question. My Axe-III arrived a week or two ago and I finally racked it and hooked it up yesterday. It's being used as my audio interface/sound card, so I connected my mono synth (a Novation Mono Station) via a TRS cable to input 3 L. I have output 1 sending to a pair of studio monitors with XLR cables. I then setup a very simple preset with input 3 sending to Output 1. When I use the synth, I'm only getting audio out of the left monitor. I mean, this kind of makes sense because the TRS cable is technically connected to the L jack. However, shouldn't the Axe be able to send the mono signal to both monitors as my mixer did in the past? I believe I'm doing something wrong in the preset. Insight would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe try putting a Volume block between IN3 and OUT1, set Input Select to "Left Only" and then adjust left pan to center? That might move the signal to centered mono.

Thanks again for your input. This is the synth: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...n-paraphonic-analog-synthesizer-and-sequencer

To be fair though, a single output is common practice for mono synths and I find it more odd that going to such measures would be necessary with this unit. I used to plug mono synths into my simple Mackie mixer often enough in precisely the same way and had no such issues with the output signal being sent to both monitors. That's why I can only assume there is some kind of user error involved on my end in regard to the input or output blocks I've set up on the preset. The input block does say "In 3" (with a single "A" in the bottom right corner" and the output block does say "Out 1" (with that same "A"). Everything is between is simply a shunted cable.

Use a standard quarter inch cable, not a TRS. The input on the Axe is unbalanced.

The main issue is input three is probably set for stereo. In settings > I/O, change it to left only.

Thanks again for your input. This is the synth: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...n-paraphonic-analog-synthesizer-and-sequencer

To be fair though, a single output is common practice for mono synths and I find it more odd that going to such measures would be necessary with this unit. I used to plug mono synths into my simple Mackie mixer often enough in precisely the same way and had no such issues with the output signal being sent to both monitors. That's why I can only assume there is some kind of user error involved on my end in regard to the input or output blocks I've set up on the preset. The input block does say "In 3" (with a single "A" in the bottom right corner" and the output block does say "Out 1" (with that same "A"). Everything is between is simply a shunted cable.
I assumed "mono" in the name referred to it being a monophonic synth not a mono (monaural) output signal.

Normally you doing use a TRS cable with a mono output signal, although it might work fine depending on the gear.

Ok your mixer, were you plugging into a stereo channel? Input block 3 is stereo by default BUT you need to feed input into both L and R.

Alternately, do what Chris suggested and set input mode.

Back
Top Bottom