Newbie question.. filtering out lows and highs on different effects/amp/cab

zecure

Inspired
Guys,

Am a bit unexperienced in filtering out lows and highs in the sound chain. I read a lot about it on internet and it looks like to get a sound right you can put low cuts at about 100hz and high cuts in the upper end of the range.
Also with filter and eq, one can boost some mids to make the guitar sound better in a live environment

I have noticed in the Axe fx II that you can do that in the amp and cab part but also in the effects like delay, reverb, flanger, phaser etc etc...

What is the best way to do it.. everywhere? or just in amp and/or cab block or in 1 effect?...

What kind of filtering and eq ing do you use most with your axe? Obviously the human ear and the kind of guitar one plays with is also key in this process.

Happy to hear your thoughts and tx in advance

zecure

I am new to the AXE, but it respond like a standard signal chain. It is amp/cab/effect dependent. You are right the guitar and the destination result determine much. 'Where' and 'what' you cut/boost depends on what needs it. For instance, anytime I dial in a perfect amp tone but then add a drive block, I need to adjust that drive block accordingly. Some drives add boomyness, some add mid-range focus, some add top end sizzle etc... In those instance I cut/boost/eq at the drive (In other words I won't mess with my fundamental amp tone). If I add delay and I find the 'repeats' to be 'thin/boomy', I can adjust the delay EQ to get a fuller, clearer, sweeter tone (or the opposite if I want vintage tape degrdation. Some choruses or reverbs can be washed out. Cleaning up the low end with cuts/eq can add clarity to the effect. Some are thin, so etc.. I cut/boost at the source of the problem frequency. I personally start with amp first, then comp, then drives, then modulation etc...just as if it were a live effect chain. That works for me. I hope that helps! Cheers.

There was a recent thread asking about where folks tend to do their High and Low Pass filtering.. cab or amp. I don' think it got to be a very long thread, so no clear winner, so to speak. The jist is to try both and see what works for you. I actually try to find a cab IR that works well with the amp and does not have too much low end. Then adjust the high pass (typically for me, in the speaker cab) to control the lows. No idea of this is the best method- but it's what I tend to do right now. And the amount varies..

I don't tend to adjust those settings in effects. Maybe in a drive block, like say the TS 808 occasionally, but that's about it. I'll also use a PEQ or adjust the graphic EQ in the amp sometimes. But I don't tend to get very deep into tweaking settings.

You'll find quite a bit of discussion on this topic by searching the forum.. that's what I've done over time to try and get a feel for how to use the Axe to it's potential. It can get deep...

Back
Top Bottom