Newbie here with a question...

NEV

I just picked up a used AX8.
I'm tweaking it as best as I'm able to so far.
I plan to use it for live gigs. After looking at some youtube clips, I'm able to make a few high gain tones to test.
My questions is, within the factory settings of amps and cabs, are there any that are usable for live or did most of you buy tone packs and download them?
If you used factory stuff, which amp and cabs for high gain?
If you bought some and downloaded, where from, how much, and which ones did you use for amp and cab?
Thanks in advance,

If you used factory stuff, which amp and cabs for high gain?
that answer is going to be different for every person.

many use the Factory Presets as starting points and quickly adjust various things to work with their guitar, hands, and amplification.

i would suggest finding a Factory Preset you like, and just change the Amp Type, within the amp block itself. get familiar with what they all sound like, and see what stands out to you. then make presets using those favored amps.

If you purchase tone packs, you probably will end up tweaking it a bit to work best with your amp & cab or FRFR

Hi Nev. I would suggest you choose just one amp / cab that is close to what you currently are familiar with. Make 2 patches with that amp and start tweaking one of them - use the other for reference. It is easy to get bamboozled with the range of amps and options available. When you get more confident you can widen your options. The factory settings are great but the ones available from Moke, Austin Buddy (dream rigs) and Glen DeLaune will give you a really good insight to different set up options - plus they are excellent value. Hope this helps.

I've bought some, but I've found that making my own and dialing them in to my taste is the best way to go. No matter how good someone else's presets are, I still tend to dial them into what I like/hear/desire.

Keep playing around with it. Over time, you'll get use to some of the basic adjustments. As with any computer, use what you need. Ignore what you don't need. The only simple advice I have for dialing in tones that may not otherwise be obvious: The High/Low cuts on the cab block are your friends. Use these liberally to focus your tone.

When I started, I bought the Austin Buddy Naked Amps pack - I found this really useful as a starting point and gave me confidence.

Now a couple of years and a couple of Fractal devices in, exactly the above - either choose a sound you want to emulate (for example, EVH) and look at the gear and go from there.

Or choose an amp and build a rig around it.

I also recommend Cooper Carter's classes - that was the game changer for me, you really don't need to go to the advance parameters at all for most applications (but I love they're there!)

Coming from someone who wasted way to much time messing with tones... I can't recommend enough to get some good presets. The ability to just flip through and easily identify the amps you like is priceless. If you like the default presets Id recommend Moke (the first link). He mixes the factory presets for live use and makes each preset have a low gain (scene 1), mid gain (scene 2), high gain (scene 3) and solo (scene 4). I think this is the perfect way to set up presets and is always how I run mine.

https://www.custompresets.com/store/p130/'Clean_To_Mean'_Pack_#1_-_'AX8'_-_Updated_for_Q10.01.html

A lot of people also like Austin buddy presets as well but the price is $99 vs Mokes $25.

https://austinbuddy.com/shop/dream-rigs-tonepack-1000-tones-for-your-ax8-austinbuddy-fractal-audio/

Just hoping to save you some head aches! Happy rocking man!

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime".

You don't have to learn what every parameter does in one sitting. Start with the default parameters in the Amp block and audition IRs before even tweaking anything on the amp (click on the Pin/Thumbtack in the upper right corner of the IR window for quicker auditioning)

Once you find an IR that gets you closest to the tone you want, dial in the amp the same way you would any other amp, with the simple Bass, Mid, Treble, and Presence controls. Over time, experiment with the Advanced parameters and find out what they all do to the tone and feel of the amp.

Never
ignore a parameter simply because you don't think you'll ever use it or know what it means. At least find out what it does, even if you never touch it again. You'll gain a lot more understanding and know where to go should you ever feel that the amp just needs that last little nudge to be great to your ears.

I’ve found that a good IR does it for me , it’s pretty overwhelming at first ,because you want to try all the amps ,cab and effects . The legends pack, all mix IR is my go to with every amp . I just rediscover the splawn amps ,love em with than IR. I,ve had the ax8 and been using fractal for awhile and I know(pretty much) if an amp has to much bass and I can’t get the tone I,m looking for by turning the bass down or using the cut switch I’ll try a different IR.
So many different ways to get where your going with tone ,just have to find what works for you. Right now i’m Stuck on the splawn quick rod , works great with you guitar volume, which I ride constantly :)

My questions is, within the factory settings of amps and cabs, are there any that are usable for live or did most of you buy tone packs and download them?

Honestly experimentation and creation (innovation) is my answer. It is more important for you understand how to best create your tones in the long run then relying on others previously engineered presets. Nothing wrong with experimenting and learning from others, just make sure you put in some time and make it rock! For heavy tones, go for the ENGL Severed with a 4X12 SM58 cab simple chain.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom