Newbie here...question

dmc092657

Hi -

Just joined recently & have my eye on an AX8. From my research thus far, it appears that the most popular use for this in a live performance application is to run a line to FOH and another to a power amp/speaker configuration (presumably to hear it on stage). I've been old school for 30+ years (hauling guitar & pedal boards around) and would like to be able to not have to lug an amp around anymore. Does anyone use the AX8 purely by itself in a live capacity (i.e. without the amp/speaker) ? If so, how has it worked for you OR if you recommend against that, I'd love to know why. I'm using a set of high end in-ear monitors so I'm hoping I could use that to hear myself and be satisfied. Please advise....thanks !

In ears will work great and there's lots of people here using them. Running FRFR speakers is as popular if not more than running amp/cab too.

90% of the time I play live I just take the AX8 and get a feed from the house monitors.

Same here, I run to the FOH mixer and monitor through whatever wedges are available. Probably going the IEM route soon?

In a recent informal forum poll, a solid majority of users went direct from Fractal products to FOH and monitors. A strong minority preferred to have a cab behind them.

I always run to FOH with the AX8 and run a poweramp and an FRFR can behind me but last show I played, I just ran to FOH house, left the poweramp and cab at home and used the monitor feed and I have to say I was really happy with how it felt on stage. It felt like everything was clearer because I didn't have a cab blasting my calves. I actually just bought a powered monitor that I will be running on stage from now on for consistency.

In Ear User.
The Ax8 works great with in ears especially since there is no bleed from stuff/instruments around you. I honestly do miss monitors though because it was always more fun playing with monitors. Still In ear does have it's advantages (not that loud, better monitoring, less space and so on)
When using In ear i can always suggest solutions like the behringer x32 with it's powerplay personal monitoring systems or the same thing via wlan with your smartphone. If you don't like behringer there are some pricier solutions similiar to the x32 but it is a great product

In my first show with the AX8, I couldn't get my FRFR working (bad cable and no spare - DOH!) so I had to go direct to FOH and use a provided wedge - ended up working ok. When I did get my ASM-12 working, I preferred that over the wedge that was on stage.

I play at church a few times per month with the AX8 run directly to FOH and use IEM's for the musician mix. FOH sounds gargantuan but the IEM's not so much. It took a bit of getting used to,b ut I made it work. When playing other large venues I run AX8 to FOH and output 2 to a stage monitor (Line 6 Flextone II XL). I run the AX8 into the effects return of the Flextone.

Back
Top Bottom