Newbie - buy discounted Axe Fx II or III??

I am on staff at a Church and oversee the Music department, and my recommendation would be to evaluate what you "need" and what you would "do." I personally use an XL+, because I run multiple amp set up in stereo, with a lot of effects. That said, another guitar player that plays frequently uses the AX8. He plays a lot of rhythm guitar and uses very little effects other than a slap delay and some reverb. So, both units are great...sound great...but it really comes down to what style etc do you intend to play. For church setting, plugging direct is awesome and saves sound guys a ton of pain. Lastly, I would really encourage you to take stock of the songs your church plays, practice, practice, practice, and go to rehearsals and play along, even if you just have your guitar and not plugged in. A lot of guys spend more time searching for gear (my self included) than actually playing! So, you'll catch up quick. Best wishes.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, much appreciated!!

If an Axe Fx II with MFC101 comes along at an unbeatable price, let’s say <= $1,500, would you still go with the AX8? I’m not sure how big the XL is but could put it in a portable gator rack, set it on top of my desk at home for now rather than mounting it, and easily transport when needed. If it would truly be that much more of a hassle, I’ll go with AX8 for now, just don’t want to miss out on some HP and options if portability in this way wouldn’t be a such a huge issue.

If you are sold on Fractal, I'll also suggest the AX8. I play weekly at Church with an AX8 and it's fantastic. Can't beat the floor unit form factor for ease of use and quick setup. I was using the AxeFXII and sold it after getting the AX8. There are limitations, you can only run one amp at a time and the CPU is not as powerful, but the sound is on par with the AxeFX II.

If you have the money available, and you plan to stick with guitar, the AxeFX III will serve you well for years to come. But so with the AxeFX II.

In the end, the best advice is probably to buy the best unit you can responsibly afford. I never recommend going into debt for gear.

Good luck!

I agree the AX 8 is the way to go ,, chances are you won't need the extra bells and whistles in the XL for a while,
But I do no the AX 8 will have more than enough to see you thru .The compact size and Quality of the AX 8 is plenty .

Hey man, I would go ahead and start learning some of the songs if you haven’t already. Like Rex said, just go for it! There’s no better teacher than experience!! I say this because I was never ready to play my first live performance. I had to really push myself to get out there but, it was one of the best experiences of my life and still is when I play out.

I own a "II" and still absolutely love it. I think I got it in 2012 if I'm not mistaken. Here is the thing about the "III". There is no way you are getting one anytime soon because there is going to be a line of guitarists out the door and around the corner waiting for one.

I'm sure Fractal has gotten more efficient over the years with ordering and delivering but there are going to be a lot of units to build. I waited months and months for mine and I only got one out of pure luck. Some of us old timers on the board remember the days of hitting the "F5" button on our keyboards with just an opportunity to buy a unit. It didn't even matter if you had the money, you had to get the spot. I'd come home from work and hit F5 a few times to see if one popped up for sale. I did this for months. :) Made me appreciate having the unit even more though because of that.

I don't think you ever lose out on a gear purchase if it is a good deal and inspires you to play. If you can find a good deal on a "II" or a AX8 and use it for a few months or years and then get a "III", I don't think that is a bad thing. Think about all of the crap we waste money on like Netflix, Spotify, a cell phone, bills, food, etc., etc. At least you are doing a hobby and having a great time!

Thanks for all the replies.

I’ve not been overly thrilled with the tone from either of my Line 6 products. As I watch videos of the Axe Fx there seems to be way more clarity than I hear from my Pod or Spider Valve thus my thought to sell them, move to the Axe Fx, and play through my HS8 monitors if I need to play louder than headphones.

I’m not in a hurry and can wait. I just wonder if at this stage I’d be better to buy a discounted II with intention to sell it in a few years for the III or to go straight for the III now. Perhaps the discount on II and what I can resell and buy the III for down the road makes more financial sense, or perhaps not.

How low might these XL’s sell for?

Good advice about the AX8.
And the AXE units sound great through the Yamaha HS8 monitors.

The 'problem' with computer-based stuff is that there will almost always be something better in the near future.

The difference is that the use cases almost never need 'better'. If you liked what your existing product did before the new one arrived...well, it still does that. I still use a DG Stomp a fair bit, and they're ancient.

I will buy a III eventually because I'm always curious about other options (I own a Helix as well), but it won't be anytime soon since 1) I'm totally, completely happy with the sounds the II provides, and B) if the lifecycle of the II is any indication, the III will undergo revision over time with subtle improvements.

So, no need to jump for me. And if my II was stolen or otherwise lost, I'd buy another one - even if IIIs were available for immediate delivery.

Last edited:
If an Axe Fx II with MFC101 comes along at an unbeatable price, let’s say <= $1,500, would you still go with the AX8?

Personally, I’d still go AX8, unless you specifically want to run two amp and two cab blocks at once. The CPU is not as powerful in the AX8 which just means you can’t build “kitchen sink” presets with everything you “might” want in a preset. For example, do you really need chorus, flanger, and phaser in a preset just in case you might want access to one on the fly? If the answer is “yes”, then you’ll need the AxeFX II. Regarding the AX8 CPU, I have lots of ambient presets that I use at church and have never run out of CPU, but it does mean you have to make some choices in what you include in a preset.

I’m not sure how big the XL is but could put it in a portable gator rack, set it on top of my desk at home for now rather than mounting it, and easily transport when needed. If it would truly be that much more of a hassle, I’ll go with AX8 for now, just don’t want to miss out on some HP and options if portability in this way wouldn’t be a such a huge issue.

The rack/controller setup is not that much of a hassle. I did the same thing you mention (put it in a Gator rack) for several years. It just means making two trips to the car instead of one since I also had the controller with an expression pedal on a Pedaltrain board, and my guitar. I like walking in with a guitar and the AX8 and an expression pedal on my Pedaltrain. So, it’s really only one less thing to carry and hook up.

Anybody thinking a new version of the AX8 may come along by summer? :)

It’s all speculation at this point. I don’t think it will be that soon, but you never know!

You should buy the II XL+, with the MFC 101 Mk III. Specifically the one I have for sale in the forum! :D

Seriously, though, any of them will rock your world. As noted, also consider the AX8. It's a first rate unit, great sounds and capability, and ultra portable. Nothing is perfect for everyone, but I can't imagine regretting any of the options you're considering.

As close as Axe II is to the Axe8, it’s really going to come down to deciding one of two things (unless of course you opt for the III): Do you want the portability that the Axe 8 offers or the fire power of the Axe II (which is still more portiable than any decent tube amp rig. I can tell you that there’s been no better time to buy an Axe II. I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop even more as the market gets flooded with them. My Reverb.com feed has been filled to the brim with Axe II sales since the announcement.

I’ve owned the Axe 8 and now the II, both are amazing units that I can easily get the tones I want. I loved the Axe 8 when I was playing out more. Now that I’m home recording more, the II is best for me.

I read you cannot get decent sound from headphones into the AX8 and need powered monitors instead? Is the II the same? If not, that may be reason enough to go that route so I can listen through headphones in the comfort of my bedroom, etc.

If you are sold on Fractal, I'll also suggest the AX8. I play weekly at Church with an AX8 and it's fantastic. Can't beat the floor unit form factor for ease of use and quick setup.

Ditto to the above. Also, the price point is amazing on that unit right now. $1100 for a Fractal unit? It will get you any P&W related tone that you need. Granted, the chops have to come first, but once those are in place the AX8 is awesome.

I read you cannot get decent sound from headphones into the AX8 and need powered monitors instead? Is the II the same? If not, that may be reason enough to go that route so I can listen through headphones in the comfort of my bedroom, etc.

That’s true. When I had my 8, I had to run it through my audio interface or my frfr powered. wedge. The II IS an interface with its own headphone out.

specifically, the AX8 does not have a headphone output. many ways to add a small unit for headphone use.

Back
Top Bottom