Newb Question Re: Fractal-Bot & FM3

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Hey, there, hoping for some clarity...

When using the current version of FractalBot & FM3, what file(s) does one select from your computer, to send where? (Several computer files mentions Banks A, B, C, and D. One file mentions system gb & fc. Last one mentions user cab bank 1.)

Currently using the most recent Mac OS.

Or, if backing up a copy of the FM3 files, how does one access these? Not experienced with this myself, could use some direction, please...

When you open a presets bank file to send, Fractal-Bot will ask you what bank you want to send it to. The filename doesn't matter, it's where you tell it to be sent that matters. System globals and foot-controllers have to overwrite the current system, global settings and foot-controller settings obviously, so it'll confirm whether you want to. Cab files, again obviously, overwrite the user Cab settings.

If you want to pick/browse/audition/rearrange presets, use the Preset Manager under the Tools menu in FM3-Edit, and drag then drop the backup into the left pane, where you can audition and selectively copy then save them. Similarly, you can use the Cabinet Manager in the Tools menu to pick/browse/audition/rearrange and save.

Note that you don't need to use the separate Fractal-Bot application; It's already embedded in the editor under the Tools menu. The Editor is the best place to manage the FM3 these days as it has a lot more capability. Experiment and play. If you don't like something you can revert a preset or reload it from backup.

If your FM3 is brand new, I'd recommend doing a full backup so you can revert to the factory presets, cabs and settings if you want, or need, to. And, as you begin developing your own presets become familiar with the Snapshot tool. It's very useful as it'll let you move forward and backward through revisions of a preset to test and/or copy settings prior to finally saving the preset.

Last edited:
Much appreciated, Greg. Yes, my FM3 is a mere 2 weeks old.

You're saying that the FM3 Edit > Tools has the ability to backup the entire FM3 library, including user presets, to my iMac, just in case of upgrading to v. 4.00 beta 5 and needing to downgrade?

Will take a peek under the hood in a minute...

EDIT: Still not understanding...How does one perform an entire FM3 backup to iMac?

Drag/drop the entire preset library from memory to the browse window is not currently supported with v. 3.02. Hoping for some clarification.

Last edited:
One additional question:

If adding a FC6 or FC12 controller to an FM3, will Fractal-Bot automatically download the most recent version FC OS (using Mac)? Also, does the zip file on the OMG9/OMG15 download page include documentation of how to accomplish installation of the FC? Thank you in advance...

Fractal-Bot does NOT automatically detect FC firmware version or prompt to update. Read the FC's display as it boots up and compare it to the current version (1.12 as of this writing). The FC firmware download file includes detailed instructions on how to install the file.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fc-download/

The zip file for OMG includes detailed instructions for automatic or manual installation. Please recognize that a bug in firmware 4.0 is currently preventing OMG15 from installing correctly, so please use manual installation for that version until 4.01 is released.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-downloads/

Fractal-Bot does NOT automatically detect FC firmware version or prompt to update. Read the FC's display as it boots up and compare it to the current version (1.12 as of this writing). The FC firmware download file includes detailed instructions on how to install the file.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fc-download/

The zip file for OMG includes detailed instructions for automatic or manual installation. Please recognize that a bug in firmware 4.0 is currently preventing OMG15 from installing correctly, so please use manual installation for that version until 4.01 is released.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-downloads/
Thank you. FC12 booted as 1.12. TBH, setting up the FC12 took about an hour in FM3 Edit, realizing what layout to use, then selecting the default startup layout in FC Config. Rearranged some switches, added/subtracted a few things in other layouts, made sure to create a HOME (Perform) switch in case I ever need to know where my main 'MC RIG' (1st preset) is in a hurry. Even set up a HOLD function that switches to layout 5 (looper) as well as a HOME button in layout 5. I'll check back this weekend and tweak a few things in various layouts that will clean up some loose ends.

It felt good to get this done this evening! I didn't need the OMG15 file for EZ Mode, and took like a duck to water. Thank you for making the FC12 intuitive (Marco Fanton's video helped a lot!).

Back
Top Bottom