Newb question about expression pedal control of Drive block.

cableguy

Inspired
While I wait for my name to be called in the waitlist, I've been working up ideas in my head about the FM3. I never did try this with my AX8, but I "think" it should be possible with the FM3. (Fingers crossed) As a bass player I play many different genres. My main band is an original 3-piece hard rock band with some R&B influence thrown in. My main (rock) sound is somewhere between Lemmy, Doug Pinnick & Mike Starr. I will separate my signal in the FM3 to have some distortion riding on top of my main tone. Here's what I would like to do. (Kind of a faux Ric-o-sound) I do not think it's possible in the x-over block, but maybe in the drive block? Is there a way, using an expression pedal, to blend the tones together? When we're rocking or during solos, full on nasty grind mode. When the song mellows or pulls back a bit dynamically, roll off some of the grind, while still retaining a big Phat bass tone. I want to do this in a way that doesn't change volume, just overall saturation or overdrive levels. What do you guys would think would be the best wat to accomplish this?

Last edited:
What Chris says. Mixer or Volume block.

And yes, you're taking the right approach by mixing a overdriven signal on top of the main signal. This keeps your sound intact. There are several types within the Drive block suited for this.

Thanks for the replies guys. This makes me feel much better. I current use a Tech 21 DP-3X (Dug pedal) It does a great job of the distorted tone on top, but is not adjustable on the fly with either the distortion or x-over frequency. It sounds great and will make a great back-up to keep in my gig bag once I get the FM3 & dial it in.

Yes, you can do that, and it works well. However, note that when you start to blend a dirty sound into a clean sound. the onset of distortion can be rather rude and abrupt. If you want to morph from one sound to another, you might want to tie that pedal to something that adjusts gain directly.

Yes, you can do that, and it works well. However, note that when you start to blend a dirty sound into a clean sound. the onset of distortion can be rather rude and abrupt. If you want to morph from one sound to another, you might want to tie that pedal to something that adjusts gain directly.

Thank for the input. Keep in mind I will be using a x-over before the distortion. So nothing will change below 1K (ish). Hopefully that will make it less harsh during the blending of the 2 sounds. The bottom end will remain firm. (there's a joke in there somewhere, but I digress) It will be a work in progress as I evolve I'm sure.

Thank for the input. Keep in mind I will be using a x-over before the distortion. So nothing will change below 1K (ish). Hopefully that will make it less harsh during the blending of the 2 sounds. The bottom end will remain firm. (there's a joke in there somewhere, but I digress) It will be a work in progress as I evolve I'm sure.
The aggressive part of distortion happens above 1 KHz. But if it sounds good to you, it works.

There's no Crossover block in the FM3.

In the words of Homer Simpson. DOH!

I'll have to look back over a vid Leon Todd did regarding this. He must have a used another block type and used LPF & HPF to create a faux x-over. More research will be needed on my end.

Back
Top Bottom