Newb asks: best first CAB purchase?

touch33

Experienced
So I just received my first (of hopefully many more to come) $50 GC and it's therefore time to make that First Cab Pack Purchase – but which one? Clearly, there are a wealth of opportunities for the Newb that I am.

As I'm wandering about learning the presets, I find myself drawn to older "classic" amps (Fenders, AC30's and the like) and pushed "cleans" – and, of course, those Dumble/Matchless/boutique amps I'll never have. Not so much into hi-gain/metal, Shredder Heaven, etc. – probably because my skilz lean more towards fewer notes thoughtfully chosen (or, more honestly, it's just that I've never been very speedy to begin with and I'm not getting any faster with approaching senility).

Let the opinions begin!

Cheers,
Bruce
touch33

I like the cabIR.eu Orange g12H-30 pack. Fairly inexpensive and great for low and mid gain stuff.

In my opinion you should buy an IR pack of a speaker you like the sound of. I am a big fan of the https://www.cabir.eu/en/ stuff. they have many cabs to choose from, but I always go back to the 1960 ax G12M25 Marshal Pack they did several years ago. that is the speaker tone I like to here.

I'll write about the three main suppliers, regardless of genre, hope it helps... 3 plusses is (usually) max, 1 is min.

For Celestion Plus, I mainly use the 'Balanced' ones, for OH, I use the 'Quick Start' dir, and for ML, I mainly use the Alloys.

Celestion Plus: Sitting in a mix: +++, Pleasing to ears: + (two more to 'Pleasing to ears' with very heavy high-cut and phase cancellation)
Ownhammer: Sitting in a mix: ++, Pleasing to ears: ++ (one more plus to both with heavy hi-low cut)
ML Sound Lab: Sitting in a mix: ++, Pleasing to ears: +++ (one more plus to both with subtle hi-low cut)

Since the ears decide, I always return to ML packs :) Maybe the magic of it is a simple hi-cut or sth. like that, but I don't care! :D

Back
Top Bottom