Newb AFXII owner. Do I need a mixer?

octopus

I'm googling like crazy but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Hoping someone here can advise.

Just received my Axe II yesterday. Was trying to keep expectations low, as I had been reading about the steep learning curve and people being disappointed when they first power it on. Plugged guitar into the input, headphones into the headphone out. From the very first preset, I was blown away. Completely. Was not prepared for it to sound so good through the phones :shock

Equator D5 monitors are arriving today. So so so SOOOO excited.

These are my needs:
1) I would like to be able to play my guitar through AFXII into the D5s.
2) I would like to be able to listen to music through the D5s. From computer mostly, but would be nice to be able to hook up a record player, iPod, etc.
3) I would like to be able to jam with friends through the monitors.

Here is my question: Connecting AFXII to computer via USB, and outputting computer to monitors will accomplish #1 and #2? Is a mixer (looking at the Mackie VLZ4 series) the next logical purchase to be able to jam with friends?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

If you want to Jam with friends, you have up to 4 mono inputs available in the Axe.
You can also play a backing track over USB through the Axe directly to your monitors.

However, it's probably much more convenient to have a mixer, if you plan to jam with friends a lot, simply because you have physical faders and all.

Also, the Axe has no microphone input.

I think a small mixer is a great investment, won't be without one. I like faders, so I opted for the Behringer X1204USB. It gives me all the hookups I'll ever need. Plus I can run my studio monitors independent from my Mackie DLM8 (to simulate a PA system as I run direct at all times). Not expensive and very handy. There may be a newer model, as mine is a few years old.

indeed... I bought a small 6channel mixer for home playing with backing tracks or a jam with a friend every now and then too. good purchase

I think a small mixer is a great investment, won't be without one. I like faders, so I opted for the Behringer X1204USB. It gives me all the hookups I'll ever need. Plus I can run my studio monitors independent from my Mackie DLM8 (to simulate a PA system as I run direct at all times). Not expensive and very handy. There may be a newer model, as mine is a few years old.

Was just popping in here to say something like this. A small mixer is a great tool to have around. I've never regretted picking one up and have flipped a lot of other, sexier, gear that I GASsed much harder for in the time I've owned one! Worth every penny.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. Sounds like the consensus is that a small mixer would be a worthwhile purchase for my needs :star:

Another thing is that when you listen to music you won't need to turn the axe on.
Why not get a decent usb or firewire soundcard? Then you can connect everything to that including spdif and analog from the axe, mics that need phantom power (not available in the axe) and other stuff.
I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. Cheap and works great. You also have the Pro 40 for more ins/outs.

Hmm, very interesting. I am very unknowledgable in this area... does the Focusrite unit do everything that a Mackie VLZ4 mixer would do, topped off by also being a firewire interface? Using a mixer would allow me to play through the axe into monitors without computer needing to be on, but firewire interface would require computer? Thank you!

I use Mackie 1402-VLZ3 mixer. Allows me to have several instruments routed into my Profire 610 interface, including my AxeFX, a couple of L6 units, and my Roland Fantom G7 along with vocal mic's and bass DI.

The Profire is connected to my DAW via FireWire, but I route L/R out to a Presonus HP60 headphone distribution amp which I use to switch between several pairs of varying quality studio monitors (or other speaker systems I want to audition my mixes on) along with headphone monitoring.

It also allows me to monitor the exact sound(s)/tone(s) I'll be recording.

This is the setup that I found works best for my particular writing/recording process. YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A mixer is great. Axe connected of course as well as the PC (with a MAudio soundcard) so I can play along to mp3s, youtube etc. Also connected are vocal mics, CD player. Also outputs go to studio monitors & CLRs. Sometimes it's handy to play a back tracking on the monitors & the Axe through the CLRS etc.

Hmm, very interesting. I am very unknowledgable in this area... does the Focusrite unit do everything that a Mackie VLZ4 mixer would do, topped off by also being a firewire interface? Using a mixer would allow me to play through the axe into monitors without computer needing to be on, but firewire interface would require computer? Thank you!

My Focusrite have a stand alone function so no, doesn't need pc turned on to be used. This is a feature that you should check for if you're looking for external soundcards.
I've never used a mixer like the mackie when connecting gear to pc so i really don't know exactly what features it has. But in general, a soundcard such as this works as a mixer while also being a real nice audio interface.
What I've done is I've connected analog ins/outs and spdif in/out between the axe and the focusrite. My monitors take its sound from main outs on the focusrite. Between pc and the focusrite is a firewire connection with very stable drivers.
The axe is still connected with usb to pc but just for updating, axe edit and so forth, not for recording or sending sound thru.
Doing like this i only need the focusrite as sound device on the pc, and have all its ins and outs available in my daw. Reamping works without problems too. I can go into the focusrite software and do all kind of different routings if i want but since i set it up i never need to touch it.

What i could say is a slight disadvantage in my Focusrite is it doesn't have all volume knobs available on the hardware. You have main out volume, headphones 1 & 2 volume and input 1 & 2 volume. The rest of the channels are only adjustable by software. Enough for me but your needs may vary depending... There are other soundcards with all knobs on the hardware unit.
A nice feature is that it has a virtual mixing room for mixing your recordings. This is only accessible listening thru headphones, but it let you choose and simulate different room sizes, speakers and where in the room you sit. It's nice cause who haven't listened to a mix that sounds great thru your monitors in the studio but totally off in your car, home stereo or other locations. It's not perfect but is still very usable to listen to mixes in different environments.

Back
Top Bottom