New Yamaha THR II series

Got my hands on the THR30ii today. My first impressions are that I still love the form factor. Out of the box though, I'm not overly impressed with the high gain sounds mainly. Cleans are just fine but my old THR10X sounded much better from memory. I have the editor and trying to dial in a good high gain that just doesnt sound muddy is proving challenging. Maybe my ears are too spoiled from Axe and I'm asking too much from this lil guy

It's weird, because it sounded like they just loaded in the software for each of the THR10s into one unit. It's not like there is a bunch of custom analog circuitry to emulate, it's all software driven. If you use the editor, can you try different cab types?

It's weird, because it sounded like they just loaded in the software for each of the THR10s into one unit. It's not like there is a bunch of custom analog circuitry to emulate, it's all software driven. If you use the editor, can you try different cab types?
the models are all new from what I understand. They didn't just port the exact models from the older units. Actually, if there was an option to do this I'd be interested in keeping it. I loved my old THR10X. The high gain models in this newer version sound nothing like my old 10X. Well close but just very different. I used the editor and messed with eq, different cabs but there's just something not quite right to my ears. Unless its a defective unit or my ears are deceiving me...just underwhelmed. I had high hopes based on my past experience. I'll give it a few days or so but for the moment I'm leaning on returning

to clarify: I think the other models in the unit are lovely its that I mainly would use high gain and that's where I find it lacking

On the verge of cancelling myself I'm going to retract, for the most part, my findings. To be fair my initial observations were straight out of the box and today gave it another go. In terms of high gain I was aiming for that brownII setting on my old THR10X and mistakenly thought the modern voicing would get me there. nope. Classic voice mode, amp: Special and turned the Master, BMT all on 10 pretty much. Gain anywhere from noon to 9 o clock and boom. That's pretty much it. Now its sounding juicy but still a tad boxy. My ultimate wish would be a Fractal powered device in a form factor like this. I know I'm dreaming but still....

Thing is, to get these sounds closer to what I want you have . have to use the app editor. There's also a new feature via the app that changes the behaviour of the speakers to sound 'open' or 'focused.' Open is the sound I'm familiar with from my old unit.

Back
Top Bottom