New XiTone 2x12 FRFR

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
I saw a few folks mentioning they would like a 2x12 FRFR solution....so I thought I'd start this thread.
Recently, Mick Farlow from XiTone cabs....created a prototype 2x12 with a Stereo Class A/B Power Amp.
He let me borrow it this week, and I spend some time playing through it this weekend.

First of all, if anyone tried the XiTone X7 (2x10)....this cab (IMO) is a whole new ball game.
This cab is REALLY loud, very clear, and very smooth. My patches created on studio monitors, translated very well on this cab.
I personally prefer a 1x12...but if I needed a 2x12....this would be my choice.

From what I understand, Mick built the cab and Power Amp himself. (Mick, jump in if I'm incorrect).
I'm very impressed with this cab. And I will say that for a 2x12 cab...it's easy to transport.

I will post a couple of crude cell phone pictures.....and I'm sure Mick can jump in and answer any questions folks have about the specs.

- Jay

Attachments

• XiTone Boxed.JPG
    XiTone Boxed.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 203
  • XiTone Front.JPG
    XiTone Front.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 226
  • XiTone Side.JPG
    XiTone Side.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 202
I'm sure Mick would build one...but I'll let him answer that question. Mick seems to be very willing to do 'build to order/spec'. So I'm sure he'll do anything you'd like. I will say...the quality is all there. The pics don't do it justice...but the construction and cosmetic look is excellent.

The speakers pointing to each other must result in some phase issues no?

is there a passive model

Hey rsf1977,

Yes, passive model available. Here are a couple of pics:

31da6401.jpg

and the back:

178d917d.jpg

and yes, I did cover the jack plate in Tolex!!!!!! :)

Cab can be wired for mono or stereo and is a perfect fit for a Matrix power amp.

what's the second cone in there, i've never seen that before?

It's called a Whizzer cone (there might be a more technical term that I am unaware of) and it helps with the high end extension without adding in a second driver or tweeter.

here's my usual question lol. How does it compare in loudness to a traditional 4x12 cab?

Short answer is - very well.
I had it side by side with a Mesa 4x12 powered by Marshall 100/100 (using only one side)...and they both get very loud, and have similar coverage.
I was able to get almost an identical tone, and they would both stay right up with a loud drummer.

The speakers pointing to each other must result in some phase issues no?
In my experience, not moreso than two speakers side by side horizontally in a flat baffle - it's not phase issues, it's really comb filtering. I've built a few different "crossfiring" designs, and the trade off is you get a more consistent tone off axis. This design has the cab tilt back, mine have the baffles tilted back as well as crossfiring. I've played live through numerous traditional 4x12 cabs, and the cross fire/tiltback design lets you hear it better. You don't get the "flashlight" effect, where the cab can be cutting your head off right in front of it, you move to the side and can't hear it.

Hey Funeral and Tubed!

These cabs are made in the USA and sadly for now, shipped solely to the USA. I am investigating affordable shipping options to other countries but right now I'm not finding anything. Suggestions are welcome.

Pricing is $699 for passive and $949 active base models!

The base unit has Eminence Beta 12LTA drivers. The 12LTA's are 225watt RMS, 450watt program drivers. Other drivers are available for the cost difference. Just email me at xitonecabs@gmail.com for additional details

The base model has a 50watt per speaker amp. It's actually quite loud! For an additional $90 I offer a 140/140 watt amp! These are Class AB amps and they sound really good! They are set for 0db sensitivity.

Shipping for these cabs will range between $40-$50 on the east coast rising to $70-80 on the west. I only charge actual shipping charges and will provide firm charges based on your location via email.

Reply here or email me with additional questions.

Thanks,

Mick

Thanks, Mic. Especially as yours is/can be stereo, it looks to me like serious competition. Besides speaker size, how is the prototype above different than the X7?

Thanks, Mic. Especially as yours is/can be stereo, it looks to me like serious competition. Besides speaker size, how is the prototype above different than the X7?

Several things. More powerful amp and a different class amp as well. The X7 had a Class D 30watts per side. The X24 has a Class AB 50/50 with 140/140 available.

Different drivers. The X7 used Audio Nirvana 10" full range drivers. Those were great sounding speakers that were spec'd up to 20k at 30watts. The AN 12's also go to 20k at 30watts.

I still offer the ANs but my standard driver is now an Eminence Beta 12LTA. This driver does not go as high as it starts to taper off at 8k or so but it can handle 225watts RMS and 450watts program and it's 97db efficient so it will get very very loud!

The baffle angle is also different. The X7 baffles tilted outwards 30 degrees and the X24 is opposite that. I offer it either way as well as flat if desired.

Cab volume is also a bit bigger, meaning I could have just scaled up the cab a bit to accommodate the 12" drivers but I went a little further even. This helps to round out the bottom a little.

With some of the testing that was done it became obvious that this cab can handle bottom end and a lot of it! It sounded great as a bass cab!

I need to hear one of these, is there anyway you can get a video up or some sound clips? (using an Axe fx would obviously be the ideal here too if possible)

Back
Top Bottom