New Windows 10 Driver for Axe-Fx III

FYI...

Pro Tools versions <=10 = 32bit (last with RTAS and 32bit AAX support).

Pro Tools versions >= 11 = 64bit (64bit AAX only).

Lucky me, been running Axe Edit on a separate Win 8.1 box, so I've missed out on the hassles!

@Admin M@

Good news, bad news with this new driver and Pro Tools:

Good news: No more crashing

Bad News: Axe Edit freezes with Pro Tools running - doesn't unfreeze until Pro Tools is closed (Pro Tools does not freeze)

Anyone seeing anything different?
That was my exact issue, including my AFX3 freezing as well, before this update. Since updating, I've been recording seamlessly for about 7 hours straight with both apps open and going back and forth between them. Fingers crossed it stays that way and I hope everyone else's systems find an equilibrium.

Here's my environment, if it helps:

1. Windows 10: all updates installed, minus a handful of optional ones
2. Axe: 18.02
3. Axe-Edit: 1.10.05
4 Pro-Tools: 2021.6.0 (I haven't tried it on my PT Ultimate yet)

Good luck!

That was my exact issue, including my AFX3 freezing as well, before this update. Since updating, I've been recording seamlessly for about 7 hours straight with both apps open and going back and forth between them. Fingers crossed it stays that way and I hope everyone else's systems find an equilibrium.

Here's my environment, if it helps:

1. Windows 10: all updates installed, minus a handful of optional ones
2. Axe: 18.02
4 Pro-Tools: 2021.6.0 (I haven't tried it on my PT Ultimate yet)

Good luck!

Glad things are working for you. I still have the same results.

My environment:

1. Windows 10 with everything patched up (Windows and all drivers - have a tool that keeps my drivers up to date)
2. Axe: 18.03
4. ProTools - 12.5

This is mostly a pain when re-amping. I've gotten used to this issue and it doesn't piss me off. Would be nice if it worked though.

Thanks for your update!

I guess I spoke too soon before, Axe-edit and my FX3 have been consistently freezing and only work again after being turned off and on. I'm not sure what magical variables I had in place before that allowed them to function as intended with my DAW for so many hours. Has anyone come up with a solution or workaround? Closing down and reopening everything every time I want to make a slight adjustment to my preset while reamping, and without having to use the clunky front facing UI, is suboptimal for the creative juices.

Edit/add-on: So far there doesn’t seem to be a way to contain all functionality to a single environment when attempting to reamp without something in the signal chain crashing or freezing. The only solution I’ve been able to make work consistently is to use the FX’s analog reamping feature (duplicate output 1 to output 3 or 4), use a second audio interface as my DAW’s primary interface, and use either Fracpad or a separate laptop to manage Axe-Edit.

Last edited:
I get that as well (with Pro Tools).

I didn't roll back because I'd rather have this problem than blue screens. Either way you can use both programs at the same time, but at least you don't have to reboot if you do open both of them.

The fact that there's no more blue screen means Fractal is making progress (and acknowledged there's a problem). Here's hoping the next version solves the problem completely!

I get this issue too. I basically can't use Axe Edit III while Pro Tools is open. If I do, after a period of time all MIDI from Pro Tools ends up grinding to a halt, and Axe Edit loses communication with the Axe Fx - it looks like it's connected but it's not in sync at all and nothing you do in Axe Edit results in any changes on the unit. The only way to resolve is to quit Axe Edit and Pro Tools (which ends up requiring a force quit), then if you reopen Axe Edit it appears to connect successfully again. It really sucks when you're trying to track guitars in Pro Tools while tweaking / searching for tones at the same time. The only real solution I have is to use a separate laptop to run Axe Edit.

I get this issue too. I basically can't use Axe Edit III while Pro Tools is open. If I do, after a period of time all MIDI from Pro Tools ends up grinding to a halt, and Axe Edit loses communication with the Axe Fx - it looks like it's connected but it's not in sync at all and nothing you do in Axe Edit results in any changes on the unit. The only way to resolve is to quit Axe Edit and Pro Tools (which ends up requiring a force quit), then if you reopen Axe Edit it appears to connect successfully again. It really sucks when you're trying to track guitars in Pro Tools while tweaking / searching for tones at the same time. The only real solution I have is to use a separate laptop to run Axe Edit.
We have the exact same issue.

Back
Top Bottom