New Windows 10 Driver for Axe-Fx III

Matt, what do we need to do in the editor to see the AF3? Mine will not connect
I'm not aware of any changes there. In Axe-Edit, check the ports in Preferences : Settings. Make sure they are both still set to Axe-Fx III

Great news! This new driver was rock-solid in beta testing.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any changes there. In Axe-Edit, check the ports in Preferences : Settings. Make sure they are both still set to Axe-Fx III
Looks like I found a bug with it. The ports were set to the axe still. I had to set to NONE close the app, Reopened Axe-Edit and set ports back to the axe and then it connected. Although the ports were set to the axe originally, the connection was not made in axe-edit.

@Admin M@

Good news, bad news with this new driver and Pro Tools:

Good news: No more crashing

Bad News: Axe Edit freezes with Pro Tools running - doesn't unfreeze until Pro Tools is closed (Pro Tools does not freeze)

Anyone seeing anything different?

Last edited:
I don’t use Pro Tools. Is there a need to update otherwise?
I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having said that, if you do want to install it, first create a restore point in Windows so you can return your system back if you need to.
I've made it a habit to do this on a weekly basis (after a week of trouble free usage) so I can go back if a Windows update stuffs things up, which isn't uncommon.

Last edited:
Looks like I found a bug with it. The ports were set to the axe still. I had to set to NONE close the app, Reopened Axe-Edit and set ports back to the axe and then it connected. Although the ports were set to the axe originally, the connection was not made in axe-edit.
No such problem here.

Did you install the driver with AxeFx/Edit on/open?
I always install drivers with hardware and associated programs off/closed, it seems to make things go smoother.

If it keeps happening, it may be a bug. If it's a one off, then probably not a bug.

Last edited:
@Admin M@

Good news, bad news with this new driver and Pro Tools:

Good news: No more crashing

Bad News: Axe Edit freezes with Pro Tools running - doesn't unfreeze until Pro Tools is closed (Pro Tools does not freeze)

Anyone seeing anything different?
This is not happening here.
Win 10 Pro,
Pro Tools 11.3.2HD

Which version of Windows & PT are you running....64 Bit? (v11 or higher)

Last edited:
This is not happening here.
Win 10 Pro,
Pro Tools 11.3.2HD

Which version of Windows & PT are you running....64 Bit? (v11 or higher)
Did you have an issue before? I did...if you didn't, then your comment is not relevant (IMO - no disrespect intended) - apparently, not everyone had an issue with PT and Axe Edit...but many did.

My setup:
Windows 10 - Pro 64bit, have latest update (21H1); all drivers are up to date also (have a tool that tells me so)
PT - 12.5...I think this is also 64bit, but not 100% sure

Did you have an issue before? I did...if you didn't, then your comment is not relevant (IMO - no disrespect intended) - apparently, not everyone had an issue with PT and Axe Edit...but many did.

My setup:
Windows 10 - Pro 64bit, have latest update (21H1); all drivers are up to date also (have a tool that tells me so)
PT - 12.5...I think this is also 64bit, but not 100% sure
No disrespect taken.
However, my comment is relevant at the time I wrote it, since you never mentioned anything about a recurring problem in your original post and I wasn't aware "many did". Also it may very well be a PT version specific problem, since my setup is not having any such problem.

FYI, any PT version 10 and above is 64Bit, though from memory I think v10 has a 32 & 64Bit version.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Getting the same Axe Edit freezing with the Version 5.22 driver as mentioned by siin82 .
Slight difference for me was that when I went to shut down Pro Tools after having closed Axe Edit, Pro Tools stopped responding and I had to kill the process. I rolled back to Version 5.12 until this can be resolved.

Getting the same Axe Edit freezing with the Version 5.22 driver as mentioned by siin82 .
Slight difference for me was that when I went to shut down Pro Tools after having closed Axe Edit, Pro Tools stopped responding and I had to kill the process. I rolled back to Version 5.12 until this can be resolved.
I get that as well (with Pro Tools).

I didn't roll back because I'd rather have this problem than blue screens. Either way you can use both programs at the same time, but at least you don't have to reboot if you do open both of them.

The fact that there's no more blue screen means Fractal is making progress (and acknowledged there's a problem). Here's hoping the next version solves the problem completely!

Matt, what do we need to do in the editor to see the AF3? Mine will not connect
I had this problem the last time I updated the USB driver about a year ago. Don't update it if it ain't broke. I seem to remember having to uninstall all instances of the driver in Device Manager. It wasn't anything with the physical connection. It was a software/Windows 10 issue. Matt helped me resolve the issue, but it was a bit of a nightmare for a while.

Still wont connect. All ports set to AxefxIII but always is disconnected in Axe Edit. Lucky I am normally on mac but thought I would put it on a pc as backup, but so far it just doesn't work, probablly a pc issue.

Found an odd issue with the 5.22 driver.

I am on Windows 10 with the latest security patches and updates.

In my DAWs (both Pro Tools and Studio One 5), brief intermittent cpu spikes keep happening. It jumps from 0 to 100% then back to 0, in a split second.

Yes my machine is tuned for audio and DAW recording.

This causes drop outs, pops clicks, digital noise when recording at a buffer below 32.

I re-installed the 5.10 driver and this stopped occurring for me. I am able to record at a buffer of 8 again in both DAWs.

Just thought I would give a heads up, just in case someone sees this behavior.
It took some time for me to figure it out and isolate the FAS driver as the cause. Once downgraded things went back to normal for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom