New well recorded Dumble ODS tone sample

Just in case some of you would like to try and maybe refine the tone I came up with, here's the XL preset:

Attachments

• Electrons Love Vacuum.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
His tone is really amazing... I had to take a stab at it, so here's my little attempt (Bludojai LD1 model + factory cabs):

His tone is a bit tighter in the bass range and the gain is a lot crisper. A lot of that crispness has to do with the semi-hollow Gibson ES-335. Once he grabs that Baker guitar, the tone seems to lose a great deal of that crispness. I've played my clip with a Gibson SG, so it definitely doesn't have that semi-hollow mojo going on.

Very nice.

Wow, Dumble #8. I can see why they want big bucks for it. I think their asking price is wildly optimistic, though. Maybe a collector will pay it, but a player with patience who's looking for a Dumble could do much better.

IMO, Dumble was still refining his tone at that point. I've played #18, and it didn't quite have the texture and smoothness of his later designs.

Just in case some of you would like to try and maybe refine the tone I came up with, here's the XL preset:
I just spent an hour or so messing around with the various Dumble amps and felt like this model was the easiest to get that Robben tone.

Wow, Dumble #8. I can see why they want big bucks for it. I think their asking price is wildly optimistic, though. Maybe a collector will pay it, but a player with patience who's looking for a Dumble could do much better.

IMO, Dumble was still refining his tone at that point. I've played #18, and it didn't quite have the texture and smoothness of his later designs.
I'm certain the price is targeting the collector with a ton of money, not a player.

That liveliness reveals the nuances (and flaws) in your playing. That's why dynamic, nuanced players like them so much. Subtle differences in picking and fretting really stand out.

Dumble players tend to be light pickers, because that gets you down into the middle of the amp's huge dynamic range. If you're banging out power chords or chugs, any decent amp will do. But when you pick lightly, and only hit hard to make a point, you can make the amp do all kinds of tricks, and you start to appreciate its Lamborghini-like response to the throttle, steering wheel and brakes.
You mean ODS users? I'd say SRV wasn't a light picker, but then different Dumble.

I played a few including the ones Kaiser sold to Mayer and never cared for the ODS but love the SSS.

Refining his tone is not what the consensus is from guys who own them.
And I'd say that Jay @ Emerald City will find a buyer.... He usually does.

I mean most of the people I know or have listened to who regularly play Dumbles or Dumble clones.
I'm gonna stay out of the clone discussion... But guys I played with who are Dumble users like Henry Kaiser or Steve Kimock I don't think of as players with feather touches.
As I said I agree that an ODS can choke out real fast with a heavy hand but not an SSS.

The idea that HAD was working on a common sound I.E. refining his tone is making no sense since he took common platforms and voiced then specifically to the players touch.

They really should have put another amp for comparison. It is difficult to assess a sound in isolation. It's certainly a nice tone, but I imagine that guitarist with those guitars can get a nice tone through a lot of amps.

Loads for me just fine ?

That's strange, it just loads up empty for me, I tried others and they are fine, just this one - typical as this is the sound I wanted.
What amp is used? I use a real cab so the cab block would be bypassed.
So I just need the amp and settings

The idea that HAD was working on a common sound I.E. refining his tone is making no sense since he took common platforms and voiced then specifically to the players touch.
True. But in my limited experience, later Dumbles (ODS's, anyway) have a roundness of tone that's not quite there in the earlier white-panel gear.

Back
Top Bottom