New well recorded Dumble ODS tone sample

That's strange, it just loads up empty for me, I tried others and they are fine, just this one - typical as this is the sound I wanted.
What amp is used? I use a real cab so the cab block would be bypassed.
So I just need the amp and settings
You may be running an older firmware than what the preset was created with.

His tone is really amazing... I had to take a stab at it, so here's my little attempt (Bludojai LD1 model + factory cabs):

His tone is a bit tighter in the bass range and the gain is a lot crisper. A lot of that crispness has to do with the semi-hollow Gibson ES-335. Once he grabs that Baker guitar, the tone seems to lose a great deal of that crispness. I've played my clip with a Gibson SG, so it definitely doesn't have that semi-hollow mojo going on.

Well done... sounds great....

Hmm I screen capped the images of the foot switch and the hand writing is identical too the hand etched
work on the back of the 50 watt Ultra Phonic sitting here.. Same size same lettering ect..

Just noticed that downloading the video ..

I remember this amp being for sale it was on Craigslist of all places for awhile..
128 did he say ?

Im looking inside 124 someone degooped it and its got orange drop caps and a very tell tale resistor that is
located in the preamp section. The very same type found in the 50 I own.. Same orange drop values also..

I note he stamped the tube compliment into the chassis underside next to the tube sockets

So those are not 12 ax7 either. LOL
thats on 124 ODS which is 4 serial numbers away from this PIMP amp here
the the slap~a~ho covering.

If Huggy bears amp here was done in 86 thats 10 years before My amp was made 96-97.
I found parts inside my amp which were 17 years old when Dumble installed them.

Usually D chooses close tolerance resistors in the crucial places such as the preamp v1 v2..
and down the preamp board thats where they are on my amp...

I think essentially the Ultra Phonic is something like an ODS perhaps minus deep rock bright switch toggles
those can be added but depends on what the player wants. He did the mod on the existing slider switches for bright
on fender amps...

The devil is in the details.. I almost missed those. In my amp he left the original values there but disconnected them
and he wired up his own values there and hid them kinda behind the originals they look hooked up but they are not...
I think he just left the original values in case the player wanted to go back too that he could..

If the player said I dont like it he could simply change things at the input jack then.. Thats an educated hunch...

I just looked at the next amp posted and its 134 and its in lime green suede......
I thought that was one I was trying to buy but its just an ODS the one I was after was an ODSR and it had been recently
voiced with current reverb same as the purple suede one #60 I believe...

The ODSR cloawn I had made was supposedly about 90 % of #183 when it arrived and I had another tech here
who bought the other amp at same time I did we ordered them at same time and he had something to do with a design
idea for both amps which was supposedly something to the effect of changing 183 into the Ford Ojai amp..
using switches on the back.... depending on how those are set is how the amp reacts..

That being said 183 and Fords Ojai amp are two entirely different circuits..
So I think the switch on mine just opens things up more it might by pass the eq section and go
more wide open..

I found that too hyper reactive meaning you take your hands off any string your not meaning to play and it will ring right out.
Its kind of like the notes want to leap out of your guitar faster and start reacting.. That forces you to really keep the guitar quiet
on strings you dont want ringing out...

Takes a bit of getting used too I like that amp in the 183 mode and its also an el 34 amp such as Cliffs ODS the only major difference being Current Dumble reverb and the switch on back..

Anyway we found the known parts as used in 183 to complete the last 10 % of the values right down too the very parts.
All but one part was found.. That part was not crucial so much too the tone it would not be discernable I was told and you could not
find it anyway or we could not at the the time..

The 128 amp is very clean or bright sounding im shocked really most are rather dark in nature Id imagine its a 6l6 amp.

I know before we messed with the amp I waited a year for it was nice and smooth and clean not really wanting to give it up
we added in the vintage glass first and just that alone improved the tone 20-30 % I felt and we found the parts and added those
we found those parts in Houston matter of fact and I cleaned the guys entire stash out.. knowing that was that..

So before the tech arrived here I bought a 50 watt bassman and he did a ground up build in that making the ultra
and we used 34s in that amp also and its 100% known Dumble parts the ODSR I had made and then we
added the rest too is about 98% 1:1 that one part I mentioned nobody could find..
The tech added in a locking switch on back so once the amp was set to have the BALLS it was missing
that was locked in place.

Now straight in that amp will do the Zap Ej tone no pedals needed straight in..
just using the boost switch..

I still like using drive pedals on the clean side of the amp and using those as well the
boosted D sound.. Just a bit brighter id say thats why...

I am glad I was able too get that amp because that builder just took off with over 100,000 dollars of peoples money and vanished
and the tech that "HELPED" me out decided to steal a car and some other amp designs from me here
taking the liberties to help himself and trade those without my consent..

One of those amps being a HPD 150 SSS amp I bought used at the time the tech was not hired to come here to
try and decipher that amp he was hired to wire a 22 space rack that would control up to 7 tube amps for my studio
and to fine tune the amp/s we both had been waiting a year for.

He brought his and we compared them side by side and after I loaded both with the rest of the vintage parts
My amp ate his for breakfast and he thought it was because of the current Dumble Reverb voicing and placement in the amp..

He wanted Ford tone I wanted Eric Johnson or Landau

The Ultra we made here was done 4 years ago now same with the ODSR actually 5 years on that one
the end result was the Ultra sounded great but gets HOT that needs to go back to 6l6.

The 183 is a keeper compared too the 50 its night and day... much more BALLS and Spine..

My amps were voiced to how I play and the vintage glass and the parts improved that amp 40 more %
placing it right there within 1-2% of the original.

The person that bought 183 had two made one 6l6 one el34
and he sold 183 recorded with it has reference for recordings and
2 made side by side the other 2 went too the Tech that came here and to Me.

there were 4 made to my knowledge one other made it to Texas.
Right soon after that the builder said 23 skidooo on his FB page and he left with
over 100,000 dollars of other peoples money..

So I dont know how many 183 clones are floating 5 id say Tops..

I think the builder went 23 skido with over 100 grand in down payments for the other amps
and so I consider myself lucky the other Tech did not clean me out entirely..
The other Tech had a 8th grade education and could not spell very well but he somehow knew how to tune ODS amps and with help from others he knew which parts to get they just needed someone to pay for them....

That would be me...Had I not bought the extra vintage glass and parts the amp would not sound
the way it does right now..

So total investment in that rabbit hole about 5 grand just for that ODSR and we had to put more into it after it was paid for to begin with at 3800...

I had an original housing for Dumbleator and had one of those made for the HPD 150 and found out the efx loop does not work on that amp like one would think. I use it with the 183 amp.
I sold the HPD 150 amp as it was not as advertised..

I dont think there are too many 183 cloans about not from that guy that was flown out to Degoop Tags amp.. Before Tag had that amp I had an ODS 150 made by the builder and wound up selling that to fund the 183 and I wanted the SSS but at the time that builder did not have any idea how to pull that off yet so I bought an HPD 150 and found out it was not as advertised so I sold it..

I got the 183 right before I got the HPD 150 and a Tech showed up here to help me with a 22 space rack system to control several tube amps at once.. and to tune the 183 to final specs
He located the old glass and original parts and I bought all the old original parts the man had.

Then we built an ultra phonic 50 with 100% D parts and during that time
my ODSR was fitted with those old parts and the glass and set to correct voltages
and essentially voiced for my playing..

Both the Ultra we built and the ODSR were tune to my playing..
I did not buy the original Dumble until long after the tech took off with my car..

lol

these rabbit holes are expensive..
I had another SSS 150 made and have yet to get it shipped here to Texas.
Shipping is so expensive at the moment and its not in the USA so I wait..
I waited 4 years on that investment and bought the parts chassis tracked down
the original transformers ect.. Then the amp was completed and we both found out
in December of 16 that none of the SSS 150s had 12 ax7s in them.

He wants to strangle me cause I went bankrupt chasing Mink Rabbits..
The voltages are all correct but just the entire preamp section would have to be rebuilt
to get one 1:1 and im fresh out of cash it seems for that during the past 5 years parts quality went down and price went up...

Last edited:
So to make a real accurate SSS 150 with the proper tubes and vintage at that would cost about 10-15 grand
just for the head.. Thats current Dumble reverb and the proper voltages and tubes ect even the parts
would be 98 % there but some are non existent and the transformers would not sound identical as none ever do..

Since I was at a stalemate on that amp I worked right around it using original recordings of the amp I was after
and some of them I own personally that I recorded and some are public floating about..

Now I charted those amps out myself so I know what the voltages are thats the ODSR The HPD 150
and the ultra phonic which I bought after the thieves were long gone out of my house..

Comparing the Ultra I had built using el 34s too the Original Dumble I wound up with and still have
id say close but no cigar and evidently the parts used in the Ultra this guy had been inside
or seen schematics of were also not the same as in the Original I found later..

Perhaps they were used in an amp he saw but the one I own has 17 year old parts in it
and it was made in 96 and the same parts are seen in 124 which is 4 off of 128...

The caps and the resistor are clearly the same make and voltage so id say Dumble bought those bulk
and likely at the end of the 70s early 80s as they are from that era...

So id think if this 128 was built in 86 the parts he had since 1979 at least on this one specific resistor type and value..
if my amp has the same parts caps resistors and wire and the hand etching on back is the exact same writing
as seen on the foot switch on 128 Id have to say without any doubt my Phonic is in fact the real deal.

I spied another part that was in the Epstein Bassman I bid on its a small avacado colored carbon comp cap..
it stands out like a sore thumb and thats a 62 Bassman and mine is a 67 68 era amp..

These are clues im going bye the wiring the parts the solder joints the tubes...
The voltages most importantly and then how does it sound ?

Cliff bought Epstein's ODS with D LATOR Its an el 34 amp as we know.
The other Dumble in that Estate was the 62 Bassman which I bid on and then passed.

The 67-68 era Dumble I wound up getting was also hand etched same as Epstein's
I spied the same carbon comp avacado part in my amp that I did in Epstein's Bassman
For the Record Epstein got that first while he waited for the ODS to be made..

Same as David Lindley Did same as most did Landau George Ford Carlton.

Stevie got the ODS first then went for the SSS that being the exception He might have liked the Ultra more
especially in a super or Deluxe or Vibroverb...

But ODS is based off a Bassman anyway So I think mine might be something of a 70s 80s blend
you can get the raw Lindley slide Grease from it no problem straight in or it will do Landau or Claptons
amp..

Clapton got his ODS combo from Gruhn right after I bought mine from Nashville also..
When clips were posted I got the best clips posted of Claptons and A B'd them side by side
and was able to dial in the same sound with mine..

Clapton paid 70 Grand for his combo... But Emerald City tells me mine wont fetch 36,500
but a 78 Marshall with stock transformers would because it had a Dumble sticker inside it..

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Mine will do that same sound it does the Carlton Ford thing also but thats not the sound I was after.

I like Ej Landau Gibbons tones so it gets those too..

The clean side of the Ultra sounds far better then the HPD 150 I had perhaps thats because its Real and the HPD 150 is not...
even at 50 watts at that..

Now thats just my experience with cloawns and Real ones..

I heard Srvs at least 50-100 times and I saw Eric about 1000 times at least I never missed a show within 200 miles from 1978
on regarding Ej and if I did miss one the tape guys got it....

I knew a collector in Houston that personally has 4,000 hours of Srv on video alone
thats not including audio...

I lived with another collector and he had all the Hendrix board tapes from America and Europe
and alot of the SRV and Ej recordings so thats where im referencing my attempts at..

Some of those are board tapes... Evidently rules were made to be broken..
Not in here though just saying...

The same guys that recorded all the Srv and Ej got Carlton and Ford both
many many nights...

I saw Carltons rig and heard it in person In fact I think I recorded that show and I know they did..
Bill Hicks opened for Carlton in Houston he also opened for Ej same venue...

So there are hours of reference tapes and even board tapes for these amps..
Shawn Lane opened for Ford in Austin after Shawn Played I left...
did not even bother to stay for Ford of course thats because the ex wanted to go home..

I did say Ex...... I cant say ive seen Ford live come to think of it....
But ive seen Carlton several times in person He had the Dumbles with him
Saw Sonny Landreth his Dumble sounds great in person also of course its always the Indian that shoots the arrow
not the arrow but they play those amps for a reason..

Is someone happy they got their identity back........?:D:D

This was @Tex Axe , perhaps, your most interesting and insightful of your years of screeds here....I hope the developments that have led you to be more direct about your role in this
Dumbadventure we all have read about and, thorough our black boxes, shared somehow, mean that you may be close to resolving it.
BTW, one of my favorite live aural moments was seeing Sonny L with John Hiatt some years ago, and his slide tone on that amp was fucking transcendent .

Is someone happy they got their identity back........?:D:D

This was @Tex Axe , perhaps, your most interesting and insightful of your years of screeds here....I hope the developments that have led you to be more direct about your role in this
Dumbadventure we all have read about and, thorough our black boxes, shared somehow, mean that you may be close to resolving it.
BTW, one of my favorite live aural moments was seeing Sonny L with John Hiatt some years ago, and his slide tone on that amp was fucking transcendent .

I saw Sonny with Hiatt also a great show think he was using a demeter at that show but still a killer sound
I saw Sonny another time with his band and he had his Dumble that time.

I know Steve Bruton had 25 of them at one time if not more different models at that and I think Mayer bought most all of those up walked into a shop and asked do you have any Dumbles and they just were waiting for him to walk in they brought out all 25 and Mayer said that will be fine just wrap them all up....

Some of those are oddball amps....Ben Harper got the snake skin ODS amps from Lindley but the SSS snake skin 100 went back to LA.
I think it sold for 160 maybe 175 k thus the Dland at emerald city going now for 159,000 they knocked a 1000 off the price from Carters...
that was nice of them. And if I listed mine through Emerald City just think they wanted to knock of about 10,000 off my Sale right off the bat..

I guess I could do that huh ? Just keep it in Texas and lower the price myself like when hell freezes over...

I started messing around with the ODS Robben2 and got a really nice sound with a Strat and the neck pups. If you hit the strings just right you get that sparkle and growl. I'll test it our a bit more and record a sample and see what it sounds like.

I did notice that when switching to the bridge pups, I got that very trebly bite which sounded good to me, but more Albert Collins than Robben Ford. I then copy and pasted and added the OD and WOW. I had to dial some stuff back, but I really liked it.

More later...

Back
Top Bottom