New Wave of Classic Rock.

I recently got Apple News+ which has "Classic Rock Magazine". The issue was dedicated to the 30 year anniversary of a bunch of 1991 albums that are not all classic rock. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Sure makes me feel old, but hey I guess it's classic rock.

I still consider classic rock to be more of a sound than an age though. To me it's rock and roll from about the mid 60's through the late 70's when rock kind of split into punk, new wave, metal, hard rock, etc.
I can agree with that. The 80s were definitely their own thing and the 90s, though in rebellion to the 80s sound, never returned to anything "classic".

Cool link, always on the lookout for new bands to try and whilst I've heard of a few in the list there are a lot I've not. Nice one!

I can agree with that. The 80s were definitely their own thing and the 90s, though in rebellion to the 80s sound, never returned to anything "classic".

I'd contend that Grunge (in part) was a return to the "Classic" that make Classic Rock what it was/is.

From the influence the Sabbath had on Soundgarden to how Pearl Jam brought back the
interwoven guitars that made the Stones so hip. Hell, even the tones on PJ albums are
very much derived from the 70's.

But that's splitting hairs. :)

I gave about half of these bands a listen, and generally I like the direction. I had seen some of Tyler Bryant's stuff before. I like him a lot. And The Struts' Could Have Been Me is about as close as you can come to a straight-ahead, driving, RnR song. Good thread. Gonna put some of these bands on my Pandora station tomorrow at work for sure!

Because when I see all the young white kids in my neighborhood trying to imitate the black gangsta image (and I'm not even in the USA), it saddens me. These kids have lost their way in life.
Oh, and the music is shit IMO.
I think that's the way a lot of people feel (about the quality of the music). That thought is central to the article that started this thread. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion/preference, but I do believe there is a lot of discontent about the current state of mainstream music. Which, of course, is why these groups are gaining popularity.

In the words of Bon Jovi:

"See those real live calloused fingers
Wrapped around those guitar strings
Kiss the lips where hurt has lingered
It breaks the heart to hear him sing
The songs were more than music They were pictures from the soul
So keep your pseudo-punk, hip-hop, pop-rock junk
And your digital downloads"--from 'Last Man Standing'

Last edited:
Because when I see all the young white kids in my neighborhood trying to imitate the black gangsta image (and I'm not even in the USA), it saddens me. These kids have lost their way in life.

What about Black music makes it "less than" to you?

“These kids have lost their way of life” is the sort of statement that was directed at kids listening to rock music when it first came out.

I teach high school, and what I’ve seen over the 25 years I’ve done it is that kids have become more eclectic, not tied to any genre. We did a thing on Fridays this past year where my kids would submit a favorite song of theirs and we’d listen and try to guess who picked it. I was struck by how wide ranging their tastes were. The same kids who’d pick Hotel California would also be bopping song to old jazz, electronic video game music, rap-based r&b, or a Mozart flute concerto. 16-year old me would have hated anything that wasn’t based on Zeppelin, but that’s not who they are.

I look at rock guitar music as another niche, like classical. At one time Beethoven or Haydn dominated the scene just as Zeppelin did. Both of that sort of music is still around (I’m going to see a Zeppelin tribute band next month and an orchestra doing Beethoven in the fall) but neither is culturally dominant.

“These kids have lost their way of life” is the sort of statement that was directed at kids listening to rock music when it first came out.

I teach high school, and what I’ve seen over the 25 years I’ve done it is that kids have become more eclectic, not tied to any genre. We did a thing on Fridays this past year where my kids would submit a favorite song of theirs and we’d listen and try to guess who picked it. I was struck by how wide ranging their tastes were. The same kids who’d pick Hotel California would also be bopping song to old jazz, electronic video game music, rap-based r&b, or a Mozart flute concerto. 16-year old me would have hated anything that wasn’t based on Zeppelin, but that’s not who they are.

I look at rock guitar music as another niche, like classical. At one time Beethoven or Haydn dominated the scene just as Zeppelin did. Both of that sort of music is still around (I’m going to see a Zeppelin tribute band next month and an orchestra doing Beethoven in the fall) but neither is culturally dominant.
You're either not being honest or just ignoring the fact that Rap and Hip Hop (in many areas) are tied to a lifestyle. Why else do we have wannabes going out and getting intentionally shot just go gain some "cred".

From an art appreciation perspective, you'll be hard pressed to argue that it isn't a lesser form of music (not saying that it can't still be your preference, it's just lesser).

When did music get a color? BTW, didn't Rock have it's roots in music from predominately Black culture here in America?

Black is the only race Zed mentioned. I'm looking for clarification.

You're either not being honest or just ignoring the fact that Rap and Hip Hop (in many areas) are tied to a lifestyle. Why else do we have wannabes going out and getting intentionally shot just go gain some "cred".

From an art appreciation perspective, you'll be hard pressed to argue that it isn't a lesser form of music (not saying that it can't still be your preference, it's just lesser).

How is it lesser? Please cite people getting shot for cred.

I can only speak to my experiences. I teach in an upper middle class suburb, and kids there like al sorts of music and do not appear to me to attach it to a lifestyle.

I remember when I was a kid, defending rock music to my uncle who hated it and loved big band jazz. One of his arguments to me was that rock music was linked to a culture of drugs. I remember him asking, “what does it say about this music you like that the performers have to behave in a certain way in order to play it?” This feels to me similar to what I’m hearing here. I wasn’t supposed to like rock because it was associated with a certain lifestyle.

In terms of the idea that certain art is lesser, that also strikes me similar to me as my uncle arguing that jazz was superior to rock.

I gave up judging art as lesser or greater awhile ago. Art is so subjective. I love what I love very passionately and I definitely do not enjoy all music I hear, but that’s not my business. I remember being at a music store waiting while my kid had a guitar lesson and watching a Taylor Swift concert on the TV there. Definitely not what I’m into, but watching the fans at the concert and they way they were so invested in it, who am I to tell them to listen to something else?

I don’t want to get all didactic and sound condescending here (tone is so hard to convey on the internet), and I want to share this fascinating resource I found last year called Pessimists Archive. These folks find articles from 40-100 years ago where people are speaking out against various cultural and technological developments because they sincerely believed those developments were ruining society. I’ve read articles about how reading novels was bad for you, riding bicycles would give you “bicycle face,” pinball machines encouraged delinquency and the like. I don’t believe the lesson is that objection to change is ridiculous, but there is a context that we have often been down the road of reacting to change in certain ways.

Anyway, that was a long post and thanks for getting to the end of it if you did. I’m not looking to spark debate about art. Enjoy the day everyone!

I can only speak to my experiences. I teach in an upper middle class suburb, and kids there like al sorts of music and do not appear to me to attach it to a lifestyle.

I remember when I was a kid, defending rock music to my uncle who hated it and loved big band jazz. One of his arguments to me was that rock music was linked to a culture of drugs. I remember him asking, “what does it say about this music you like that the performers have to behave in a certain way in order to play it?” This feels to me similar to what I’m hearing here. I wasn’t supposed to like rock because it was associated with a certain lifestyle.

In terms of the idea that certain art is lesser, that also strikes me similar to me as my uncle arguing that jazz was superior to rock.

I gave up judging art as lesser or greater awhile ago. Art is so subjective. I love what I love very passionately and I definitely do not enjoy all music I hear, but that’s not my business. I remember being at a music store waiting while my kid had a guitar lesson and watching a Taylor Swift concert on the TV there. Definitely not what I’m into, but watching the fans at the concert and they way they were so invested in it, who am I to tell them to listen to something else?

I don’t want to get all didactic and sound condescending here (tone is so hard to convey on the internet), and I want to share this fascinating resource I found last year called Pessimists Archive. These folks find articles from 40-100 years ago where people are speaking out against various cultural and technological developments because they sincerely believed those developments were ruining society. I’ve read articles about how reading novels was bad for you, riding bicycles would give you “bicycle face,” pinball machines encouraged delinquency and the like. I don’t believe the lesson is that objection to change is ridiculous, but there is a context that we have often been down the road of reacting to change in certain ways.

Anyway, that was a long post and thanks for getting to the end of it if you did. I’m not looking to spark debate about art. Enjoy the day everyone!
If you gave up judging art as being either lesser or greater, then any debate is useless. I will tell you that you are wrong though (refer to Socrates and Plato). As a teacher, you are also failing if you fail to impart that to your students. They will enter an adult world one day that assigns value to everything.

BTW, classical is superior to jazz which is (mostly) superior to rock (art appreciation wise). I say jazz is mostly superior to rock because you can find instances where rock rises to that level, but not on the main. I'm good listening to rock, it's my thing, but at least I know where it ranks.

Black is the only race Zed mentioned. I'm looking for clarification.

How is it lesser? Please cite people getting shot for cred.
How is it lesser? Take an art appreciation class or go watch some well composed youtube videos. I'm not being dismissive, but it doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about yet (concerning elements of music).

People shot for cred? There have been a few, the most recent incident (I admit debatable, but highly suspicious) is Megan Thee Stallion getting shot in the foot. There are others, I'm not saying it happens every day and maybe that was a poor choice of words, but there are instances of wannabes engaging in behavior to further their "cred". Here's a good one:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/rap-wannabe-street-cred-stickups

Back
Top Bottom