New user, wildly appreciative of FAS and Axe-Fx III

rmg471

All:

I started using digital guitar processors with the Digitech GNX 3. I was about 15 at the time. I had no idea what I was doing, of course, but I liked the ability to get different sounds. I've been familiar and owned virtually every digital processor since then, excluding any FAS products, because I could never find one to try anywhere.

After I "grew up" and could afford a nice tube amp, I found that the amp that I liked the most of all of them was the Carr Mercury V. The built in attenuator would allow you to get the power tube overdrive/swirling/phasing that happens when it's super-pushed. I tried the Kemper (twice), Helix, PC-based solutions from all of the usual suspects (including Universal Audio), and anything else I could think of to get that sound and feel from a digital solution. It just didn't exist. Finally, as a last-ditch effort, I decided to give the Axe FX III a shot. It was the only thing I hadn't tried.

Smash cut to it arriving, setting it up into my monitors, and preset #000. We all know it's a 59 Bassman model. I cranked the input drive, threw on my R9, and hit and held a note and BOOM there it is. The swirl and the phasing. It was exactly right.

That was 2 months ago. I sold the Carr the next day.

I suppose my biggest "issue" is that I have so much fun using that 59 Bassman amp and all different blends of cabs, I still don't think I've tapped its potential after 2 months! There are over 260 other amps to use, and I can't even get past the very first one because the sounds and tweaking possibilities are of such high quality.

So here I am, Axe FX III, plugging in with a PRS Modern Eagle V into the 59 bassman, with a cab and just a touch of reverb. Processor used: 24.6%. I'm having so much fun I cannot move on from it. Of course, I've cycled through the other presets, and they're so good, but just that first amp, tweaking, different cabs, I can get so many of the sounds that I love. Again, there are 260 MORE amps to try.

I'm just blown away. I've never heard any other digital processor do this. Thank you to Cliff and the team for making a truly extraordinary piece of gear. What a treat to it is to use.

Thanks,

Ryan

after 10 years of FAS, i use maybe 2 or 3 amps at most. don't worry about "not using everything" for sure. even if it had one amp, it does what i need and has the quality and usability i prefer.

welcome aboard!

hi Ryan,
i know exactly what you mean - the bass man was the first amp that made me think ‘these guys got it right’ - and that was years ago with the axe fix 2 - wait till you see the frequent updates that add new features and fixes, along with all the presets on axechange - oh .. and welcome!
thanks
pauly

All:

I started using digital guitar processors with the Digitech GNX 3. I was about 15 at the time. I had no idea what I was doing, of course, but I liked the ability to get different sounds. I've been familiar and owned virtually every digital processor since then, excluding any FAS products, because I could never find one to try anywhere.

After I "grew up" and could afford a nice tube amp, I found that the amp that I liked the most of all of them was the Carr Mercury V. The built in attenuator would allow you to get the power tube overdrive/swirling/phasing that happens when it's super-pushed. I tried the Kemper (twice), Helix, PC-based solutions from all of the usual suspects (including Universal Audio), and anything else I could think of to get that sound and feel from a digital solution. It just didn't exist. Finally, as a last-ditch effort, I decided to give the Axe FX III a shot. It was the only thing I hadn't tried.

Smash cut to it arriving, setting it up into my monitors, and preset #000. We all know it's a 59 Bassman model. I cranked the input drive, threw on my R9, and hit and held a note and BOOM there it is. The swirl and the phasing. It was exactly right.

That was 2 months ago. I sold the Carr the next day.

I suppose my biggest "issue" is that I have so much fun using that 59 Bassman amp and all different blends of cabs, I still don't think I've tapped its potential after 2 months! There are over 260 other amps to use, and I can't even get past the very first one because the sounds and tweaking possibilities are of such high quality.

So here I am, Axe FX III, plugging in with a PRS Modern Eagle V into the 59 bassman, with a cab and just a touch of reverb. Processor used: 24.6%. I'm having so much fun I cannot move on from it. Of course, I've cycled through the other presets, and they're so good, but just that first amp, tweaking, different cabs, I can get so many of the sounds that I love. Again, there are 260 MORE amps to try.

I'm just blown away. I've never heard any other digital processor do this. Thank you to Cliff and the team for making a truly extraordinary piece of gear. What a treat to it is to use.

Thanks,

Ryan

hi Ryan,
i know exactly what you mean - the bass man was the first amp that made me think ‘these guys got it right’ - and that was years ago with the axe fix 2 - wait till you see the frequent updates that add new features and fixes, along with all the presets on axechange - oh .. and welcome!
thanks
pauly

You're right! When I first received the unit( around 6-8 weeks ago), 7.00 had just been released. Earlier today, I loaded 9.00!

Back
Top Bottom