New User: Walk me through your basic sounds for gigging

Blues will probably be another preset, as I could switch to a new preset for blues style tunes. I think I'm going to listen to some Mayer trio album and do my best to cop some of the sounds. Maybe I'll go with an AC30 style sound and goose it with a TS, but not sure what kind of amps he's using on that record

I would say the dumble clean with a ts-esque or blues drive should get you in the ballpark. Or maybe a zen into a bandmaster too!

Last edited:
I love the Princeton Reverb amp for blues and rock, for the blues I back off the volume pot on the guitars. Remember the guitar you are using is also an important asset in producing a great blues sound. Nothing beets a good old Start for the blues at least that's how I feel everyone has their own feel for what they love.

Gigged a duo with it last night- unfortunately my tone wasn't really there. Obviously I need more time to spend dialing things in and it was probably my fault. But there's a tonal signature that the axe seems to have through my set up (through a matrix q12a) that was consistent through a variety of amp models. I need to spend some time dialing it out.

FWIW I was using an AC TB amp sim, a 100w jumpered plexi, and the friedman BE. Boosting them with the fet drive and TS808. Could get the job done, but the clarity/fullness wasn't quite there, sort of sounded like a modeler. A work in progress..

Gigged a duo with it last night- unfortunately my tone wasn't really there. Obviously I need more time to spend dialing things in and it was probably my fault. But there's a tonal signature that the axe seems to have through my set up (through a matrix q12a) that was consistent through a variety of amp models. I need to spend some time dialing it out.

FWIW I was using an AC TB amp sim, a 100w jumpered plexi, and the friedman BE. Boosting them with the fet drive and TS808. Could get the job done, but the clarity/fullness wasn't quite there, sort of sounded like a modeler. A work in progress..

For me now it's all about the IR. Trying to find which speaker matches the amp I want to use. Use your ears! :) The atomic CLR, FW11.3 and new IR offerings are all crucial elements to my sound now. It's all in there...it's taken me A LONG time to get where I am with my tone live. Keep it simple.

For sure. Before adjusting settings, do you fool with the IR the most? I've read that it's the most critical thing in your sound. There's so many options, sometimes I'm unsure what the proper thing to tweak first would be. Maybe I should start with the IR rather than reaching too quickly for the bass, mids, treble, etc.

For sure. Before adjusting settings, do you fool with the IR the most? I've read that it's the most critical thing in your sound. There's so many options, sometimes I'm unsure what the proper thing to tweak first would be. Maybe I should start with the IR rather than reaching too quickly for the bass, mids, treble, etc.

It depends on the amp. But for me, I would try to get a good base sound with amp and cab before I tweak anything. I play in a cover band and I typically use a few different patches during our show. For the most part I am a marshall guy but as of late I have been really loving the wrecker 1 and simply rolling off the volume. I also set up an amp x/y button on the MFC and my x amp input gain is around 10:00 and y is at 12:00. I very rarely tweak the amp controls because to my ears it sounds sooooo good as is. Having the right IR is crucial for base tone. Then you can fine tune any adjustments using the tone controls and or advanced parameters. That's also why I LOVE the atomic CLR. It produces exactly what you put into it. Before I was using my Yammie HS80m to build patches, and when I got to the gig the sound was different. ...but the Atomics are worth the weight in that alone for building patches. So when I use my in-ears (Future-sonics) or atomic CLR the sound is identical to what I am hearing no matter what I use to monitor.

We recently fired our sound man and are now running sound from the stage. Thanks again to Chris at Katsukuri media videos on how to set the gain on a mixer to avoid clipping the mic pre and maintaining a line level signal:) When I would get to a gig my patches sounded like I had more gain. I was over-driving the input on the board.

Back
Top Bottom