New user questions

Thomas Saliceti

This is not pertaining to our post, but I am a new user and have no suggested participants so I hope you don't mind me starting here:

Hi - I just purchased the FX8 Mark II. I am fairly familiar with the Fractal Products, because I use the AX8 with no amp and run direct through the PA, but I wanted to try a rig with Fractal effects using my Mesa Boogie MV. At any rate when I plugged it up pre and post; both wiring systems I get a horrendous hum on the gain channels. I only had 1 humbuster cable so I ordered 2 more from Fractal.

I have 2 questions:

1. I am going to try running with the 4C method. I have one Humbuster cable and I ordered 2 more as mentioned earlier. The wiring diagram shows that the inputs into the Fractal also need to be Tip-Ring-Sleeve. Do these also need to be Humbuster? Do both ends need to be Tip-Ring-Sleeve or just the end plugging into the Fractal?

2. Do you have a suggested list of what effects typically should run pre and which should run post?

Any other suggestions on a Hum Remedy?

Thanks for your help and support

Tom Saliceti

1. The IN (POST) inputs are balanced, which is why they are TRS. However, you can use regular TS cables, especially if your amp isn’t sending balanced FX Send signal. The Humbuster cables will only work with Fractal outputs, so you need one from OUT (PRE) to the amp input, and another from OUT (POST) to the amp return. Be sure to put the TRS ends on the Fractal side.

2. Typically, time-based effects and most modulation effects are run after signal distortion, so put your reverb, delays, multidelay, chorus, etc as post. Drives, wah, etc as pre.

Pitch block can be pre or post depending on what you’re doing with it. It’s best to experiment with placement for all effects so you can judge for yourself and let your ear decide.

The 4CM can easily create a ground loop due to all the connection points. Hum Buster cables will NOT break that ground loop if that occurs.

That kind of hum/buzz is pretty noticeable & you should know it when you have it or hear it.

I always think it’s good to set it all up straight through the amp 1st w/ only the input & NOT in 4cm. Then move on after that works.

Test out your FX loop with your other gear as well.

Plug everything into the same outlet & or power strip.

I’ve had to buy & use an Ebtech Hum-X adapter on my amps power cable to break this loop on only one (Carvin Legacy-3) on my 3-Amps though.

Take you time & walk through all your cables and connections.....I’m sure you’ll get it worked out.

Peace! X

Back
Top Bottom