• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

New User Questions

jw3571

Inspired
Just go my unit a few days ago. I had one a few years ago but didn't mess around with too much so I have a few noob questions:

1. Some presets obviously sound better than others. When i've found good ones i've changed to different amps to see how they sound and the volume is usually way different, louder and quieter. What's the best way to change the volume using Axe Edit? Is it going to output and increasing or decreasing the db? Or is it better to go to the amp block and change the level?

2. When switching between amps, what's the best place to start when they sound really muddy and distant sounding? Is it best to change the cab first? I've noticed that makes a huge difference.

3. I've notice some amps i'm getting an odd sound when I palm mute? I can't describe the sound too well except to say it doesn't sound good. It almost sounds like interference or something. Is there settings to try for that?

4. Last question, I have Presonnus Sceptre S8 monitors which are fantastic, I'd also like to play my iTunes library through them, how do I do that? The monitors have a second way to connect them but what do I need to do on the axe to use that device to play my library.

Thanks

JHMorris

Hi - I am fairly new as well so anyone feel free to correct me. First thing is watch the vu screen and take your master volume on the amp block to just under the 0 Db line. Then you can adjust the output from there.
2. Cabs are very important to the sound. You can lookup Yeks amp guide on here and then see what corresponding cabs go standard or well with each amp and start from there.
3. I've heard a few people describe that, not sure how they dealt with it, you can look around this ax II discussion area and find some help.
4. Make sure you installed your ax USB driver and then assign the ax fx 2 USB as your sound output device and it should play all your computer sounds out the main outputs on the ax, which I assume you would already be running out of your monitors with.

Hope that helps some!

Justin

ChrisCG

Experienced
Just go my unit a few days ago. I had one a few years ago but didn't mess around with too much so I have a few noob questions:

1. Some presets obviously sound better than others. When i've found good ones i've changed to different amps to see how they sound and the volume is usually way different, louder and quieter. What's the best way to change the volume using Axe Edit? Is it going to output and increasing or decreasing the db? Or is it better to go to the amp block and change the level?

2. When switching between amps, what's the best place to start when they sound really muddy and distant sounding? Is it best to change the cab first? I've noticed that makes a huge difference.

3. I've notice some amps i'm getting an odd sound when I palm mute? I can't describe the sound too well except to say it doesn't sound good. It almost sounds like interference or something. Is there settings to try for that?

4. Last question, I have Presonnus Sceptre S8 monitors which are fantastic, I'd also like to play my iTunes library through them, how do I do that? The monitors have a second way to connect them but what do I need to do on the axe to use that device to play my library.

Thanks
For 1. If you use the VU meters you can just turn the A knob on the front of your Axe Fx, this raises and lowers the level of the amp block. It's recommended to only adjust volume in the amp block keeps things simple that way.

2. Cabs make such a huge difference so yes you can start there, also go into the amp block and go to the Eq tab and play around in there. I like to adjust 250 a little to see If I can get rid of mudd there.

3. I'm not sure what that sound would be, you could post a preset for some of us to listen to or if it's a factory preset tell us which ones you hear this sound.

Top Bottom