New user - how do you use your AX8 live?

Hey Vkinetic, I just used Axe-live for a 4 set gig and it was fantastic. I use a macbook air and usb to ax8. I entered all 45 songs , then you set the 'Show" name you want , then set lists. I had 4 sets. For each song you select the patch and which scene of that patch you want to start with. Then while in show you simply select the song in the list. Its very large on the 13" screen and easy to see. Then while on the patch you can then easily switch to view parameters if you need quick changes to the patch. The only issue I have is the arrow keys dont work to scroll the songs I have to click on them. For now that works fine.

Oh forgot to add , I have this on my iMac as well so I did all the entering etc on there then you simply 'export' the list and import it into macbook.

Used to have one song per preset but noticed that after 2 years on the AX8, most of my tunes were based on the same collection of amp/cab/FX blocks. The individual presets were mostly to list out the songs in the order they would be performed. Then we did a few gigs where stuff got moved around or deleted/added. No fun!

Lately, I use 4 to 6 presets with scenes to handle all songs and found it great now that the levels have been dialed in.
I would have less but use a mix of single coil and humbucker equipped guitars and have tweaked them.

Of course a lot of gratitude to the members who either sell or upload presets as they are used so I can start from somebody else's creation which I change to accommodate my 2 expression pedal settings, EQ, etc... Money and time well spent!

I play direct to FOH, no on stage volume other than a mix through the venue’s monitors, one preset per song on the AX8.

Hey Vkinetic, I just used Axe-live for a 4 set gig and it was fantastic. I use a macbook air and usb to ax8. I entered all 45 songs , then you set the 'Show" name you want , then set lists. I had 4 sets. For each song you select the patch and which scene of that patch you want to start with. Then while in show you simply select the song in the list. Its very large on the 13" screen and easy to see. Then while on the patch you can then easily switch to view parameters if you need quick changes to the patch. The only issue I have is the arrow keys dont work to scroll the songs I have to click on them. For now that works fine.

Oh forgot to add , I have this on my iMac as well so I did all the entering etc on there then you simply 'export' the list and import it into macbook.

Thanks stratavarious. I spent last night getting all my songs into AxeLive and just had a play around with it. It looks and feels really good. The creation of set lists was a bit clunky but it works and I had my first set (called Rehearsal because basically it has all our current songs in it) done fairly quickly. Apparently with Setlist Maker you can easily change the order of songs in a set which happens all the time in my band. Not sure if you can easily re-order songs in a set in AxeLive. But it seems like it is really quick and easy to bring up any song in any order in a number of ways in AxeLive especially if you have named the presets after the name of the song like I have. And you're right - having the ability to tweek a preset setting there and then is a very welcome capability.

The only other reason I was attracted to SetList Maker was Bluetooth, cutting down on cables etc. But I'm so used to having a laptop onstage anyway so it doesn't really matter anyway. And probably like you I have another computer at my studio (a PC) where I do most of my patch writing, so the ability to swap song lists between the laptop and the PC is a great time saving feature.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with such a great explanation of what you do :)

Used to have one song per preset but noticed that after 2 years on the AX8, most of my tunes were based on the same collection of amp/cab/FX blocks. The individual presets were mostly to list out the songs in the order they would be performed. Then we did a few gigs where stuff got moved around or deleted/added. No fun!

Lately, I use 4 to 6 presets with scenes to handle all songs and found it great now that the levels have been dialed in.
I would have less but use a mix of single coil and humbucker equipped guitars and have tweaked them.

Of course a lot of gratitude to the members who either sell or upload presets as they are used so I can start from somebody else's creation which I change to accommodate my 2 expression pedal settings, EQ, etc... Money and time well spent!

Thanks so much Pete. I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually went the same way as you, but it's going to take me some time to find the combination of amps, cabs, effects etc that work for me and most of the material we do (which is another complication because the material we do, even the genre, changes often). I guess it's a comfort thing knowing that I have presets that definitely work with the songs being played. I've spent the last couple of days and nights getting all my levels sorted (only had the Ax8 a couple of weeks) and that really helps.

But you are sooo right - 'Of course a lot of gratitude to the members who either sell or upload presets as they are used so I can start from somebody else's creation which I change to accommodate my 2 expression pedal settings, EQ, etc... Money and time well spent' - Thanks to Leon, Moke, Glenn De Laune and soon AustenBuddy - these people and people like them have helped me big time not only in giving me instant great sounds, but also helped me learn to build my own presets.

Thanks Pete for your reply.

Thanks stratavarious. I spent last night getting all my songs into AxeLive and just had a play around with it. It looks and feels really good. The creation of set lists was a bit clunky but it works and I had my first set (called Rehearsal because basically it has all our current songs in it) done fairly quickly. Apparently with Setlist Maker you can easily change the order of songs in a set which happens all the time in my band. Not sure if you can easily re-order songs in a set in AxeLive. But it seems like it is really quick and easy to bring up any song in any order in a number of ways in AxeLive especially if you have named the presets after the name of the song like I have. And you're right - having the ability to tweek a preset setting there and then is a very welcome capability.

The only other reason I was attracted to SetList Maker was Bluetooth, cutting down on cables etc. But I'm so used to having a laptop onstage anyway so it doesn't really matter anyway. And probably like you I have another computer at my studio (a PC) where I do most of my patch writing, so the ability to swap song lists between the laptop and the PC is a great time saving feature.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with such a great explanation of what you do :)

No Problem at all! BTW you can simply drag the songs on the screen to where you want , if you want to reorder. :)

Back
Top Bottom