New user - Help with high gain presets

Meatcurtains

I'm pretty good with this kind of stuff but I can't seem to get a full sound out of the Axe when I'm playing with my band. I'm moving away from a Diezel VH4 + Triple Rec + elaborate pedal board to the Axe for a couple months to see if I like it. I've got a Axe FX II XL+ and the 1,000 watt Matrix amp through a Diezel and a Marshall cab. Also running out to the audio interface for recording.

The problem is, I dial a high gain rhythm sound I really like and then the band shows up and the guitar seems to vanish somehow. That's the only way I really know how to describe it. It feels empty. Next to my old VH4 in the room, with two guitar players, you can definitely hear the difference. I've tried all sorts of amp adjustments, boosted mids, cut lows, etc. I'll get more great sounding guitar tones in the process of tweaking with it, but once the band jumps in it's the same problem.

I haven't tried tone matching my Diezel yet. I might try that this weekend. Any suggestions? I'd love to love this thing. It's amazing.

I had that same problem when I started AxeFxing! Did u make your presets at jam volume? Presets made to sound great at lower "bedroom" volume don't translate good when u crank it up and have other frequencies to complete with I.e drums bass triangle or whatever

Have a look at Leon Todd, user name 2112. He has a great set of free presets on axechange http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=2112&fields=all&products=0&setups=0

Some already axe2 and some need converting from ax8. Also watch his videos on YouTube about patch building. Way cool guy.
Strongly agree with Whistler on that one!! Leon has a ton of awesome and in depth Fractal videos on the tube and he communicates with viewers which is even cooler! Learned a lot from him, super cool dude!

Do you have the cab sims disabled? With the matrix I believe you will want power amp sims enabled. Maybe try a different amp model. The Be or HBE seem to be the easiest to dial in. Also try putting a TS808 drive pedal in front with drive at zero level at 7ish which will tighten up the tone. Other than that boosting mids, 700 through 2000 after the amp or use the amp output eq will help cut in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom