New User Frustration

aftrshok99

Inspired
Maybe it's just the fact that there is so much to the FX III and it's been awhile since I used the AX8 but I'm a little frustrated with my tones. I thought by using my Ibanez RG550 that has hotter pickups then my warmoth strat would make it easier to dial in a tone but I just can't get there. Those guitars are like night and day. The strat has seymour duncan lil 59 and jb jr. Ibanez is air zone and air norton. I can get a great sounding clean tone with both but when I add some gain it goes to crap. I actually think the strat sounds better on higher gain stuff.

I really don't know how you guys that have lots of guitars do it. LOL

It just gets a little frustrating for me, I suppose I just need to keep working at it and I'll get there soon.

What's your main preset like and how do you go about building foam and overdriven sounds?

What's your main preset like and how do you go about building foam and overdriven sounds?

Hey Leon,
I started out with the factory preset Triptik and changed some of the settings there. I'm not in front of my FX III now so I don't really know how the drives and amps are set. I did change the cabs to Factory 2 #169 and Factory 2 #170 and did the typical cuts on the cabs.

The reason I chose that preset was at rehearsal it sounded the best with my strat, so I thought I use that as a starting point (good or bad).

I did watch your video on how not to dial in a killer tone.

Is there a way to look at an Ax8 patch without having an AX8 and see how it was done? I used the same strat when I had the AX8 and remembered liking how I had it set back then. I think I still have that preset on my pc somewhere.

I usually shut everything off except input, amp, cab, output and dial in the sound I'm looking for. I also use a PEQ at the end to remove the non guitar low and high frequencies and to tweak the tone. Then I setup the effects I'm interested in.
My biggest frustration has always been trying to make up my mind which preset sounds I like better.

I think I finally got something I can work with for now. LOL

I kind of did what you do @Tommy Tempest

Cool to hear. Honestly if you just go to basics first you’ll get the hang of it

Amp to cab. To sort through and pick a few IRs you like use Leon ‘s trick

Use the looper to record a short
Riff then scroll through while the riffs plays back

Back
Top Bottom