New(used) Axe FX II advice

if you bring it back and tell them that the fan was unplugged they will take it back. thats a legitimate excuse even if it was used and you don't get the coverage. why take a chance. Im pretty sure u can get one in much better shape for the money you spent. if you get it from ebay you are covered by ebay and paypal. If there is an issue they take care of you . Ive been through so much with gc and ebay. ebay is your best bet. How many people have been playing with that thing in the store while the fan was unplugged. If it works it doesn't mean that damage wasn't done. why take the chance. you can also get a mark II from one of the stores that work with fractal. or just save ur money and get an xl like trev said.

If it were me I would take it back right away. The fan is there for a reason and you have no idea how long the SHARC processors were cooking while it was unplugged.

Component lifetimes ARE reduced as a function of operating temperature. You can find a slew of engineering whitepapers on this. Different components (electrolytic caps, microprocessors, simple passive components) are effected in different ways, but running without the fan may have reduced the expected lifetime of the system. Of course, if the effect was to reduce the lifetime of some component from 40 years down to 30, then it's pretty much a non-issue. (Sure, there are a number of 30-year old effects processors that still have value, like the TC2290, but generally speaking no one's lining up at the door to scoop up that pink and black A.R.T. effects processor you bought back in 1985.)

For only a $400 difference, I'd probably chose a new unit for the warranty and peace of mind, but the unit you bought from GC should be just fine. Of course, I've seen people dump gear at GC because it had some intermittent issues and they wanted to get rid of it without selling it directly to a real person. That's the "peace of mind" aspect that would lead me to likely opt for new unit.

Component lifetimes ARE reduced as a function of operating temperature. You can find a slew of engineering whitepapers on this. Different components (electrolytic caps, microprocessors, simple passive components) are effected in different ways, but running without the fan may have reduced the expected lifetime of the system. Of course, if the effect was to reduce the lifetime of some component from 40 years down to 30, then it's pretty much a non-issue. (Sure, there are a number of 30-year old effects processors that still have value, like the TC2290, but generally speaking no one's lining up at the door to scoop up that pink and black A.R.T. effects processor you bought back in 1985.)

For only a $400 difference, I'd probably chose a new unit for the warranty and peace of mind, but the unit you bought from GC should be just fine. Of course, I've seen people dump gear at GC because it had some intermittent issues and they wanted to get rid of it without selling it directly to a real person. That's the "peace of mind" aspect that would lead me to likely opt for new unit.

The last 2 monitors I bought from GC had defects that weren't found during GC's 5 second inspection of the gear when the previous owner traded it in.

Buy pro coverage, or test the hell out of it for the next month so that you can return it to GC incase something happens.

I'd rather buy from a reputable forum member than buy from GC.

When I decided to purchase my XL there were a few used in my area and to buy new meant I had to be put on a wait list. I decided to wait it out to avoid anything that could have caused problems. Plus there is something to be said about having a nice big box show up.. it's like Christmas.

That doesn't really help your situation but if it were me I would probably have to try to return it. The unit is probably fine but it will probably keep nagging at you in the back of your mind. Peace of mind is priceless.

It is not worth the discount if, due its used state, you will be plagued with doubt regarding what is, in all likelihood, a perfectly functional unit that will provide you with years of service.

Returned it today and explained to them the issue with it. They didn't seem to care, they're just going to resell it to someone else anyways. Just waiting for the funds to go back to my card then I'll be ordering a new one!
After tax and shipping on that one its only $240 more for brand new with a warranty through fractal, not $400 like I said earlier

Returned it today and explained to them the issue with it. They didn't seem to care, they're just going to resell it to someone else anyways. Just waiting for the funds to go back to my card then I'll be ordering a new one!
After tax and shipping on that one its only $240 more for brand new with a warranty through fractal, not $400 like I said earlier

Smart move....

Back
Top Bottom