New USB Recording Problem

gdgross

Experienced
Have been useing the axe-II to record over USB fine with no problems for a year or two now. Using logic 9 on a macbook pro running mountain lion. I've always recorded at 44.1 even though the axe is 48. Logic seemed to have no issues with it, it must have been resampling or something.

Just tonight, however, I plugged in and have some funny things going on. THe first note I play sounds ok then I get more and more distortion, which gradually fades into a more normal sound, but with a significant (~1second) delay from strings to speakers/logic.

I tried to attach an audio file but I don't think the forum software will let me....

Any ideas? THis may be the first time I've tried to record with FW11, i can't remember

Have you tried adjusting your bit depth in Logic? I had the same issue a while back, I adjusted the bit depth until the recording delay was correct. Also maximize the samples to get rid of that bitcrushing sound.

logic/preference/audio

hope this helps

Have you tried switching to 48 khz? Have you tried increasing the USB Buffer size under i/o? Are you simultaneously running Axe-Edit while you are recording with USB? Are you sure you aren't running a patch with excess CPU?

There are a couple others, but these are usually the sources people associate with this particular issue. There's a reason I switched on over to using Spdif to record with. USB just had too many hassles.

Thanks guys - I did try adjusting bit depth, buffer size and some other stuff in logic, but I think I was running axe edit at the same time....I'll have to try again without that. My patches aren't too CPU intensive though.

Will report back, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OK, a couple more observations from tonight.

Still does it w axe edit closed.
Sample rate has no effect (happens the same at 48k or 44,1k)

Aaaand... it seems to happen only on a single patch, my AC30 patch. CPU usage on that one is around 85%. Too close to the edge maybe? adding the USB traffic pushes it over the edge and it can't keep up?

Sometimes I run into the issue that the playback is almost more than 1 second delayed. But it usually only happens if im just using logic to push some sound out, not record. Usually a quick start/stop of the playhead fixes it for me. (on logic x, mountain lion)

Back
Top Bottom