New USB driver for Windows

I run into this all the time at work. Even when you are logged into the actual "Administrator" account in Windows 10, processes are not automatically run with elevated privileges. You often have to right click and select "Run-As Administrator" for full admin access to certain things. Safer that way, but UAC is a big pain in the ass.

I just wanted to pop in from the other side and say thank you for this update, I seem to be one of the ones it improved things for. Previously the axe FX didn't work as an output device in guitar pro and would actually lock up the software when i tried, and now it's working flawlessly. Excellent!

I haven't read all the previous posts, so this may have already been mentioned. Windows 10 has some extra security compared to previous versions for your own protection because as can clearly be seen from previous posts, majority of people have no clue what they're doing but know just enough to be dangerous.

# Before installing anything in Windows 10, click the Start menu and don't click anything else and just start typing: UAC
## Click on "Change User Account Control settings" at the top and then move the slider all the way down to "Never notify" and restart your PC
## You MUST restart NOT shutdown because shutdown doesn't refresh anything and puts the PC into a hybrid hibernate

# In Windows 10, you ALWAYS have to right click an install file and select "Run as administrator" because even though you turned off UAC, it's not completely off like in previous versions

# To completely turn off UAC like previous versions, so you don't have to "Run as administrator", open an elevated PowerShell and run the commands below and restart the PC:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V "EnableLUA" /D "0" /T REG_DWORD /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" /D "0" /T REG_DWORD /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V "PromptOnSecureDesktop" /D "0" /T REG_DWORD /F

## To change UAC back to a more secure setting, open an elevated PowerShell and run the command below and restart the PC:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /V "EnableLUA" /D "1" /T REG_DWORD /F

# To see all hidden and disconnected devices in Device manager, open an elevated PowerShell and run the commands below and when Device Manager opens, click the View menu and select "Show hidden devices"
Code:
SETX DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES "1"
SETX /M DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES "1"
START devmgmt.msc

# I also recommend disabling Fast Startup, so a shutdown will refresh resources and you won't have to do a restart, open an elevated PowerShell and run the commands below and restart the PC:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V "HiberbootEnabled" /D "0" /T REG_DWORD /F
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /V "HiberbootEnabled" /D "0" /T REG_DWORD /F

Last edited:
Did you guys have problems that made you want to update the USB driver or.did you just install to have a new driver ?

Did you guys have problems that made you want to update the USB driver or.did you just install to have a new driver ?
I had problems which could (emphasis on ‘could’) be related to the USB driver: sound / playback from say youtube interrupted (so the youtube vid running on but no sound via usb at AF3 headphone jack). More likely a Win10 issue. Since installing the usb driver update however this problem hasn’t reoccured. Before it happend irregularly, at least once every hour, and sometimes even one after another in minutes. After rebooting everything the issue stayed away long enough for some decent guitar playing; most of the time...

I had problems which could (emphasis on ‘could’) be related to the USB driver: sound / playback from say youtube interrupted (so the youtube vid running on but no sound via usb at AF3 headphone jack). More likely a Win10 issue. Since installing the usb driver update however this problem hasn’t reoccured. Before it happend irregularly, at least once every hour, and sometimes even one after another in minutes. After rebooting everything the issue stayed away long enough for some decent guitar playing; most of the time...
Okay gotcha, just curious as my fx3 should be arriving in a week or so , so would like to know what's going on with this

I ended up reinstalling Windows 10, installing the driver and all is working fine now, so I guess the problem was local with my particular PC.

Thanks for posting this. If only more people could try this, I think half of all Windows problems would disappear.

Thanks for posting this. If only more people could try this, I think half of all Windows problems would disappear.
Understood, and I'm not having problems I need to solve, but just to say it...

Reinstalling all my music software and plugins is a HUGE job, almost certainly multiple days. It's something I'd do if there was a major blocking issue I couldn't solve some other way. It's absolutely NOT something I'd do to see if it helped.

No, when everything else is working fine, and only the FAS driver behavior is a bit off, I will not re-install Windows.

No, when everything else is working fine, and only the FAS driver behavior is a bit off, I will not re-install Windows.
Well, I probably wouldn't have done it either if the FAS driver was the only issue, but I had also been having issues with Windows telling me I have an update pending, then I update, and then it tells me that it was unable to install the update. This happened repeatedly and I thought maybe this behavior was also impacting my problems with the driver. So I bit the bullet. I've done this more than once. The actual reinstall is quite easy but bringing back all your programs can be a PITA. I've started saving the installation files for all my programs in one folder and that makes it much easier to bring back everything. I install them and then ask them to check for updates which usually makes me current. It's definitely time consuming but in my particular case I think it was worth it. Both the update install and FAS driver problems are now fixed.

Last edited:
Cool - At work I sometimes come across a computer, where Windows Update has issues - That can be a real pain to fix.

I noticed the driver was from back in July so is this the most up to date driver? if so why was this not brought up before?driver update.png

Well, in my particular case, there was a post not too long ago that pointed out that a new driver was available. I think that unless you happened to check the Fractal website under Downloads->AxeFx III, you wouldn't have seen it when it first came out but once that post made me aware of it, it seemed like a good idea to get the latest/greatest that Fractal had to offer. Again, I'm not hearing anyone say that there is a problem with the driver itself but installing the driver might bring out some individual PC problems just lurking beneath the surface. In my case, it might have happened no matter which device I installed a driver for. Who knows.

I just wanted to pop in from the other side and say thank you for this update, I seem to be one of the ones it improved things for. Previously the axe FX didn't work as an output device in guitar pro and would actually lock up the software when i tried, and now it's working flawlessly. Excellent!

Was that an issue resolved in this driver version?

Back
Top Bottom