New USB driver for Windows

Try to install the driver again, first time I did it what it did was to uninstall the old but not install the new and Ave Edit didn't connect with the Axe. I run the setup again and now it works, I have still to test if my problems with the DAW or Windows audio.

Not working here. "USB Device Not Recognized" on Win 10. Uninstalled the driver & installed the older one & it still isn't recognizing the Axe. Also tried to uninstall/reinstall the older driver 4.47 from the archive. Now I'm not getting ANY messages when connecting the Axe. Not recognized by Fractal Bot, AxeEdit, or Windows 10 for that matter. Frustrating!

Last edited:
Not working here. "USB Device Not Recognized" on Win 10. Uninstalled the driver & installed the older one & it still isn't recognizing the Axe. Also tried to uninstall/reinstall the older driver 4.47 from the archive. Now I'm not getting ANY messages when connecting the Axe. Not recognized by Fractal Bot, AxeEdit, or Windows 10 for that matter. Frustrating!

When I encounter problems like this I go to Device Manager and uninstall the driver, then run a registry cleaner, reboot computer and install new driver (with the unit switched off) then turn unit on.
Usually works for me.

No good...What's odd is I'm not getting ANY messages now. Even with the old driver reinstalled. The cleaner found a few issues but nothing that appeared to be related to anything Fractal.

Just for grins, I uninstalled 4.47, and installed the older driver 4.38. Nothing, not even an error message. Don't know if it's possible but I'm wondering if the 4.86 driver hosed something up in the Axe itself. Just dead in the water at this point.

Try shutting down computer, plug Axe into another usb port and reboot computer.

EDIT: Does the driver show up in Device Manager>Sound Video & Game Controllers sub-menu (with Axe switched on) ?

Last edited:
Just for grins, I uninstalled 4.47, and installed the older driver 4.38. Nothing, not even an error message. Don't know if it's possible but I'm wondering if the 4.86 driver hosed something up in the Axe itself. Just dead in the water at this point.

I had this happen from time to time when I was using Windows 7 and I'd have to fidget with it(eg. trying different USB ports). If you've tried different ports, try another cable. In my case, I knew it wasn't the Axe-Fx because it worked when connecting to a different computer. Eventually, it would start working again, but I never really figured out the denominating factor. Anyway, if you've tried different ports and other cables, try connecting it to a different computer.

Last edited:
Are you running any sort of Antivirus/Firewall software on that specific computer? I had troubles with Comodo Antivirus (on Windows 10) completely blocking (sand-boxing) the driver installation for Axe-FX III. I had to specifically point out to Comodo not to sandbox the driver installation.

It DOES show up in the Device Manager - surprised. I did try the usual troubleshooting of swapping cables, another USB port, etc.
Unfortunately I don't have another computer in the house so I can't try that option.

I'm running Norton AV. It's never given me any heartburn before with Fractal software. It will normally scream if I try to install something it's not familiar with or that's blacklisted but never with Fractal stuff.

I'm running Norton AV. It's never given me any heartburn before with Fractal software. It will normally scream if I try to install something it's not familiar with or that's blacklisted but never with Fractal stuff.

Are you able to restore Windows to a previous point?

Ok, the system restore worked! I was checking the system prior & saw an update related to "Active Core" was installed today. No idea how or why this caused heartburn - apparently none of the driver versions liked what was updated.

Thank you all for your help!

For what it's worth, i had trouble for a long time. The axe fx wouldn't connect after changing a driver or something. Unplugged and restarted a MILLION times. Went on for weeks. Ended up getting an inkling that there may have been issue between the axe fx and my removeable hdd. Unplugged everything, restarted and plugged everything back in starting with the fractal. Works every time for me. Such a relief

Worked flawless here. Steps I took....maybe will help....Power off Axe then uninstall old driver and reboot. Install new driver and reboot again. Start Axe and all works ok..

Installed without a hitch here. Days ago at date OP. Much more stable now: none of the failing sound issues has occurred since installation.

Just installed new driver and now Axe-Edit won't connect. Anyone else having trouble here? Tried reinstalling the driver and Axe-Edit a number of times and still no luck. Will try reinstalling old driver.
I ended up reinstalling Windows 10, installing the driver and all is working fine now, so I guess the problem was local with my particular PC. It was an unusual problem in that Control Panel would show that the driver was installed but when I went over to Device Manager it showed that the AXE did not have a driver. I had also been having problems with Windows Updates not taking hold. Would update, restart, and the next day it would tell me that I need to update. So again, bottom line, this was a local problem. And thanks to Mark (Day?) at support for suggesting some things for me to try to resolve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom