New unit came today and within 10 minutes there are problems

I believe Chris was making a joke.

Ooop, my bad...but the 'oh, this is headed south' instincts kicked in. <self-slap>

And I would think Gaga would have a pretty decent guitarist...not that he'd have much to do, but he/she'd be very capable. I'd take the gig.

R

Look forward to hear your experience with the Axe.... when it´s safe in your house :)

It may be due to contractual arrangements that FAS has with TM. I don't know if that is the case, but it's possible. Based on my dealing with FAS over the last couple of years, their policy when dealing with product issues has been anything but lackluster. There are also many other here that will attest to the same. While I get your frustration, stuff happens during shipping, and sometimes you just have to wait. I know that goes against our *instant gratification* society, but you'll survive. :)

Many vendors today refuse to deal with the store fronts - ever see the "call 1-800.... if you have issues, do NOT contact the store" type messages on many products??

So, I have to ask.... if you are located on the East Coast " (1 day shipping time from FAS)", why did you buy thru TM ?? Their limited supply and long wait times were well publicized back when the Axe2 was first released.

Hey sorry for the lack of response, I haven't made it online in a couple days. The initial wait did have to do to whatever contract issues TM and FAS were having, but we signed up for the wait list welllllllll before that was even made public, hell, before it was even brought to TM's own attention.

Once I received the unit I noticed the issue and emailed customer service and was given a response that was less than satisfactory to me as a concerned customer. And yes, I understand stuff happens during shipping, but if it does, wouldn't it be in the companies best interest to help remedy that situation as fast as possible? I was told I have to contact TM, who then had to contact FAS, at which point I was instructed I had to wait until TM received their next shipment (which at this point was VERY few and far between at the time). Trust me, there was nothing instant about getting my unit haha

I ordered through TM and not FAS because within a couple days of the units announcement, FAS had announced that unlike the Ultra, they would not be doing a wait list while TM had said they would be doing a small reserve list. Since I work full time and am not always near a computer, I signed up for the TM list so that I didn't have to monitor the store by the second.

With that said I still support the product and company because of Cliff's sheer innovation and vision for the product is 2nd to none. He's a visionary and no matter what happens no one an deny that.

All of those people have good musicians. Talent? I don't know what that is and I don't think that matters. Work ethic is what's most important to me. I've seen many who had questionable talent but worked hard, hard and harder still. You'd never dream that they perhaps didn't have a lot of great, god given talent. Madonna works her ass off. It's not a music I particularly favor, but so what? I'd take the gig if offered.

All of those people have good musicians. Talent? I don't know what that is and I don't think that matters. Work ethic is what's most important to me. I've seen many who had questionable talent but worked hard, hard and harder still. You'd never dream that they perhaps didn't have a lot of great, god given talent. Madonna works her ass off. It's not a music I particularly favor, but so what? I'd take the gig if offered.

+1

I agree about Madonna too...It's not my preferred style, nor do I think she's a very good singer, but NO ONE works harder, and as an overall entertainer, she's very formidable. Her self-promotion skills and business-savvy are "through-the-roof legendary!" I've heard that her business-model/promotional-strategies/etc. are studied/analyzed at Harvard Business School! That doesn't surprise me at all.

Also, I would agree that those "hired-guns/sidemen" are usually really good-players AND also usually look-good onstage. Good examples would be Justin Derrico who is Pink's guitarist. He isn't called upon to do too much in terms of lead-guitar stuff, but he needs to have killer-groove with her music which IMO, is VERY important anyways! That said, when you hear/see him doing his own thing or an online-tutorial or something, he can rip (leads/solos) with the best-of-them! Another example would be Taylor Hawkins who has been Dave Grohl's/Foo Fighter's Drummer for about thriteen (13) years, BUT before that he played drums for Alanis Morrisette! Again, very talented guy, excellent rock/pop drummer, AND he has the "looks" too. No one hires completely talentless musicians who can't play, but look great, because THEY DON'T HAVE TO! There are plenty of musicians out there (usually young, hungry, and ambitious!) who have worked hard at their craft AND happen to look good onstage! Seriously, if you were Pink, or Madonna, or whomever as the leader of your image-conscious pop-band, and you need to hire a guitarist, and all other things were considered about equal in terms of playing ability as it pertained to what was required for the gig!: Would you hire Justin Derrico or some guy who looked like (me...or) Shawn Lane (R.I.P?) Just sayin...

Other genres (besides pop/dance-music) are much less image-based/image-driven. Singer Chris Cornell (Soundgarden; Audioslave, Chris Cornell Band) once said in a Heart - Behind The Music episode (re: the cruel criticism that Ann Wilson - Heart's (excellent) singer endured for getting fat in the mid-80's - Oh...forgive me if I paraphrase this a bit, as I saw/heard it about ten (10) years ago!):

"Two of my favorite female singers of all-time are Ann Wilson and Aretha Franklin, but I never remember the "R & B community" giving Aretha crap about her weight."

Some would argue that Aretha had achieved legendary/icon status, and thus was more "un-touchable," but that's not even the point. Chris Cornell was right, and without spelling it out directly, he was essentially saying that in pop-music in particular (especially the post-MTV version of pop-music) image/looks are held to a different set of standards than some other genres. As wrong as that might seem, "it-is-what-it-is," and if pop-musicians/singers want to play-that-game and participate in that genre of music then they should expect image & looks to be a "job pre-requisite," NOT a "bonus.".... Sad, but true!

Bill

+1 about Lady G and Madonna and their touring band(s).

When I see comments about how they "suck" or their band "sucks", it comes off as naive and amaturish.

Both of those lady's are multi-platimum and multi-million dollar acts. They tour with tons of FOH, pyro, lighting, A/V, the works. All synchronized etc. etc.

All the musicians are A-listers to say the least.

Richard

I still say the American Idol band and the Dancing with the Stars band are probably 2 of the most under-rated bands in the world. PHENOMENAL musicians in those bands.

I still say the American Idol band and the Dancing with the Stars band are probably 2 of the most under-rated bands in the world. PHENOMENAL musicians in those bands.

+1

Check out the band for "The Voice". Of all of the competition shows, they are the best for me. And I follow those shows a lot.

Richard

Good examples would be Justin Derrico who is Pink's guitarist. He isn't called upon to do too much in terms of lead-guitar stuff, but he needs to have killer-groove with her music which IMO, is VERY important anyways! That said, when you hear/see him doing his own thing or an online-tutorial or something, he can rip (leads/solos) with the best-of-them!
Bill

Although Pink does ask him to do some interesting things. And yes...the boy can rip:

Pink - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Live in Australia 2009 DVD - Funhouse Tour - YouTube

To further the naivete of my posts, here is my guess checklist for the gaga madonna audition:

1. Guitarist has the right look... Yes, we definitely need this. Absolutely.
2. Guitarist has stage presence... Yes, we definitely need this. Absolutely.
3. Guitarist knows the material and can rock... Yes, this is important. Needs to know the songs.
3. Guitarist can play solos beyond the recorded version... Don't care
4. Guitarist has musical talent and artistic sensibility, Don't care. This is totally irrelevant.
4. Guitarist can play like a fool, and people will like it... Don't care. Madonna is the "artist".
5. Guitarist will have a look that makes kids want to attend our concert and buy our album... Required. See # 1, 2 and 3 above.

Why would you think that a persons musical ability is paramount to getting this gig? It's the entertainment business, not the guitar artist business. I think all pop music is the same. Stupid business to be in. Better off selling t shirts at a madonna concert than playing music for a living, if you want to make money.

And even if they did hire a great guitarist, you won't hear it at the concert. It's not about the guitarist; he's just playing a part. It's about selling gaga.

Henry,

Here's my take. Talent is the result of effort spent to improve a person's ability to do something. For madonna, who has spent much time in business deals and the gym, her talent is in business and her ass. Alot of people try to improve themselves and it doesn't work. Some people do the right things, some don't. Just working hard doesn't necessarily give you talent.

I like jazz. In jazz, you might survive by playing your ass off and being so f***ing good that they cannot ignore you. That is talent.

The music business is the hardest business in the world to make money in. You have to be really lucky and work hard just to survive.

I agree: I'd take the gig. Not sure that I could play well enough tho. I aspire to one day.

In any case, peace bro!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom