New unit came today and within 10 minutes there are problems

This was a very expensive piece of gear to have problems right out of the box.

I agree. The downside is you'll experience a delay, which sucks. The upside is they will fix it and it WILL work, and it will work well.

It's a rare event but it happens occasionally. What they should do is send you a new unit and fix that one later as time permits. Don't know if that will happen but if it's "broken" and resetting and loading new firmware and patches doesn't fix it any other mail order company would send you a new piece of hardware and take the broken one back. All of the major online retailers have this policy with the exception of Apple products which they will not replace - you have to send a brand new broken Apple product to be repaired or replaced at Apple's discretion and wait. That policy blows IMO. That's one reason I don't buy Apple products.

BTW, I am not saying Apple is better/worse than any other brand and am NOT trying to insult Apple products - only their online return policy. They make excellent products.

Good luck with your unit. These's a good chance as others have pointed out that it's just a firmware corruption problem (a glitch perhaps when it was loaded at the factory) and something that can be corrected without sending it back.

I can also understand being annoyed (and pissed) that a product costing that much is defective. Once all is set straight you'll feel much better. You had EXTREMELY BAD luck that very, very few people experience.

Ignore those that criticize you for complaining in your first post. You're complaints are justified IMO. But your second step if not your first should be to contact support.

Last edited:
Ever notice how these threads are almost always started by guys with 0, 1 or 2 posts....
Just an observation.
Can I see a photo of that screen?? What is the serial #?

I've been reading this forum for a while as I made my decision to purchase. It was my first post because I just got the unit yesterday. Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful comment.

Also, I prefer to spend my time working and not posting. ;)

Last edited:
Who is tour supply? did you buy off ebay?

Let's see, who is Tour Supply? Out of the 12 units Tour Supply received this week, 2 went to Lady Gaga's band, a couple to Madonna's tour, and 2 to Rolling Stones. ..and there was mine. (according to my Tour Supply rep). They are located in Nashville, New York, and LA and supply professional touring acts with everything they need. They do not sell to the general public. Oh, and if you click "Buy" on Fractals Website, they are one of only 2 dealers for the Axe FX listed.

Last edited:
What they should do is send you a new unit and fix that one later as time permits. Don't know if that will happen but if it's "broken" and resetting and loading new firmware and patches doesn't fix it any other mail order company would send you a new piece of hardware and take the broken one back.

Cliff used to do this. He had a customer receive a unit with some problem(I don't remember if it was cosmetic or functionality), so Cliff did what he thought was the right thing and immediately sent him a new unit with a call tag for the damaged unit.

Well this person kept both units and killed the immediate replacement policy. :-x

But I agree with getting a new unit if there is something wrong with it.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly getting a working unit!

I appreciate the help. I am sure it is going to be a fine product. Fractal support contacted me last night and asked me to have Tour Supply send me another unit. The problem is that they sold them all. I will report what I find out.

I appreciate the help. I am sure it is going to be a fine product. Fractal support contacted me last night and asked me to have Tour Supply send me another unit. The problem is that they sold them all. I will report what I find out.

This happened to me also. I waited months upon months to get my unit through Tone Merchants. I finally got it, and it had a faulty LCD screen. Fractal essentially told me to call Tone Merchants to deal with it which upset me becuase they didnt have them in stock, there was still a huge wait list, it took 1000x longer for TM to get them in general AND I'm on the east coast (1 day shipping time from FAS). Pretty lackluster policey.

I had a similar issue....mine appeared to be fried from a small static charge...seems implausible but it just stopped working....required a new motherboard. Took 2 to 3 weeks to get ot back...mine was not a warranty repair since i bought it second hand.
FAS handled it well and was good to me i did have to pay a lot to fix but the person i got it from helped me with the whole thing. Think it is rare for this to happen. Best advice i can give is always power down when hooking up any cables

it took 1000x longer for TM to get them in general AND I'm on the east coast (1 day shipping time from FAS). Pretty lackluster policey.
It may be due to contractual arrangements that FAS has with TM. I don't know if that is the case, but it's possible. Based on my dealing with FAS over the last couple of years, their policy when dealing with product issues has been anything but lackluster. There are also many other here that will attest to the same. While I get your frustration, stuff happens during shipping, and sometimes you just have to wait. I know that goes against our *instant gratification* society, but you'll survive. :)

Many vendors today refuse to deal with the store fronts - ever see the "call 1-800.... if you have issues, do NOT contact the store" type messages on many products??

So, I have to ask.... if you are located on the East Coast " (1 day shipping time from FAS)", why did you buy thru TM ?? Their limited supply and long wait times were well publicized back when the Axe2 was first released.

I'm sorry to have prematurely judged your OP. in the past there have been several guys come on here to maliciously defame the AXE FX II for reasons we just can't understand. I noticed your brand new account, and that you said you bought it new from "Tour Supply". I don't think many here knew that another distributor by that name existed and that you made no reference to having actually "contacted" FAS. So, I assumed, and was wrong. Sorry for your negative experience. You didn't even get far enough into the presets to try the Tape Delay yet.. You will be made right soon by FAS. Welcome to the forum and again, sorry man.
Peace

Tour Supply said the Stones were using Axes? Wow...

Fractal has great support- contact them before anything else. They'll make it right, and believe you me, it's worth it!

I'm sorry to have prematurely judged your OP. in the past there have been several guys come on here to maliciously defame the AXE FX II for reasons we just can't understand.

I didn’t think you were taking a shot at OP, not the way I took it. More of an observation.

If JC_MuscleShoals took it that way my apologies also since I had hit “like” on that particular post. It’s frustrating but will get straightened out! But when it happens to you I guess it’s never fast enough.

Cliff used to do this. He had a customer receive a unit with some problem(I don't remember if it was cosmetic or functionality), so Cliff did what he thought was the right thing and immediately sent him a new unit with a call tag for the damaged unit.

Well this person kept both units and killed the immediate replacement policy. :-x
But I agree with getting a new unit if there is something wrong with it.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly getting a working unit!

I did this scenario with MOTU, although what they did was place a hold on my credit card, and release the hold once they received the defective unit. they included a return shipping tag which I placed over their original on the same box they sent my new unit in. Years ago I also did this same method with digidesign 003 and also with Mesa when a Rectifier Pre went down. These exchanges were flawless and had me back up and running very quickly. All three of these companies had a tech qualify the need for an exchange prior to allowing a swap return.

Metric Halo did this with me twice as well over the course of many years. But I don't expect it. It's nice when it happens though.

Ever notice how these threads are almost always started by guys with 0, 1 or 2 posts....
Just an observation.
Can I see a photo of that screen?? What is the serial #?

Wow! You are a genius. lol

Look at the title of the thread. How many posts does a guy need to have on his first day with the unit??

Wow! You are a genius. lol

Look at the title of the thread. How many posts does a guy need to have on his first day with the unit??

ahem...pjrs78....kerrlehr already did his mea culpa on this for jumping the gun....please...can we keep this on topic? Thanks.

It's annoying but sometimes this happens. Known as the bathtub curve, equipment dies at the beginning of it's life or simply wears out and dies at the end of its life cycle. As a electronics manufacturer myself we try to apply as much quality control as practically possible to our products but we rely greatly on the quality control in our supply chain. All manufacturers can do in these situations is offer an apology and a swift resolution to the problem, all decent reputable companies will do this if you give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom