New trem system

Seems like an interesting idea.
How much will it weigh and how it will feel may play a part as well as how it looks to how it catches on.

There's not much to reckon without feeling it in my hands and listening to it.

Back in 1970, my Tiesco Del Rey worked in pretty much the same way. The trem worked okay, but had a very limited pitch range. I'm a bit concerned that the only apparent contact between bridge and body is through a spring. The Del Rey had a separate Tune-O-Matic style bridge.

I have no strong opinion, though, as I've never played it or heard it played.

There's not much to reckon without feeling it in my hands and listening to it.

Back in 1970, my Tiesco Del Rey worked in pretty much the same way. The trem worked okay, but had a very limited pitch range. I'm a bit concerned that the only apparent contact between bridge and body is through a spring. The Del Rey had a separate Tune-O-Matic style bridge.

I have no strong opinion, though, as I've never played it or heard it played.

valid point there, not sure how it connects to the body i suppose if anyone was interested to contact him direct i just gave him a plug is all. its feels different (has enough pitch range same as a floating trem) the weight ide say would be a lil heavier

a positive i found with it was when bending notes the other strings didnt drop in pitch

had plenty of sustain also

Last edited:
That's a good thing. You've played it yourself? What ya reckon?

yeh was alright felt different but ok... had good sustain-y sound.. one i noticed was the area for the saddles, theres a lot of potential for all diff types of custom saddles (plenty space)

i needed to give it a real test through the axe side by side with the same patches which i might do if the tightass lends me one

Looks similar in concept to the Stetsbar - different mechanisms for up vs down motion.

I use a trem for gentle vibrato exclusively - it *has* to transition from pitch up to pitch down smoothly. Those type of systems typically can't do that. I tried and didn't like the stetsbar.

Personally, I find the modern strat-style trem or PRS trem perfectly workable. I have 1 Floyd-guitar and it's good (well, it's great - it's a Suhr!) too but I prefer less 'stuff' on either end of the strings.

Looks similar in concept to the Stetsbar - different mechanisms for up vs down motion.

I use a trem for gentle vibrato exclusively - it *has* to transition from pitch up to pitch down smoothly. Those type of systems typically can't do that. I tried and didn't like the stetsbar.

Personally, I find the modern strat-style trem or PRS trem perfectly workable. I have 1 Floyd-guitar and it's good (well, it's great - it's a Suhr!) too but I prefer less 'stuff' on either end of the strings.

your right i played it again pitch down to pitch up is like changing gears in a car...

Last edited:
I reckon I would be interested in how much that bloke effects the sustain of the guitar.

Perhaps with the extra mass, sustain is improved.

Last edited:
I reckon I would be interested in how much that bloke effects the sustain of the guitar.

Perhaps with the extra mass, sustain is improved.
Yes, sustain would be my first question with that design (at least as much of the design as I can tell from the brief video).

But it's not about mass, it's about efficent transfer of sound from the strings to the body. Lead is has more mass than any metal used in a guitar bridge, but lead makes a lousy bridge.

Interesting. Though i`m satisfied with my Suhr`s trem system. IMO my EBMM Luke III has the most stabile system. Flawless for my use...

I've heard Schaller did it best. From what I remember, it looks like the difference between a chain kick pedal, and an Axis kick pedal.

he should of made it a hard tail or dive only, with a whole heap of saddle options like tone block sets

eg block sizes, materials

and saddle sizes materials

you could have 3 saddle types for top strings and 3 diff types for the bottom!

Last edited:
But it's not about mass, it's about efficent transfer of sound from the strings to the body. Lead is has more mass than any metal used in a guitar bridge, but lead makes a lousy bridge.

Consider the additional sustain from a massive head (think Stratocaster). Also consider the popularity of the Brass Block (more mass) due to its ability to increase tone and sustain.

Your effecient transfer standpoint has merit.

Consider the additional sustain from a massive head (think Stratocaster).
The Jury's still out on this, IMO. Some Steinbergers have great sustain with no headstock at all. And some guitars with large headstocks have lousy sustain.

Also consider the popularity of the Brass Block (more mass) due to its ability to increase tone and sustain.
Sustain blocks are a special case. Their mass resists the deflection of a trem bridge when a note is picked. In the case of the bridge that Kamaleon showed, bridge mass doesn't give that advantage.

Back
Top Bottom