New to the Party!

Kidmag

I just purchased the AX8 and obviously I'm very excited! I'm saying hi to and want to thank the forum and contributors as I recognize what a great resource you all are, and want to say thanks for what I've derived already in my research.

I'm pretty new to the modeling game, but have some experience with digital effects (Nova System, and TC Helicon VL3). I currently use the VL3 in my cover band (80's to current alternative stuff) for vocal effects and and some guitar effects. I run a few stomp boxes (digitech whammy, Zvex Box of Rocks, Keeley-Boss BD-2) into the VL3 (chorus, delay & reverb) then out to the front end of two guitar amps (Dr. z-28, Marshall JVM205H) that are set pretty cleanly. This set-up is pretty decent but leaves many things to be desired. Sadly I much prefer the BD-2 overdrive to my Marshall's preamp all day long. Very sad state of affairs. I'm not a metal guy so lower end of the distortion spectrum is probably my happy base, and with good fuzzes for solo's.

Anyway, with the AX8 I'm really hoping to accomplish 3 things.
1. Improve tone
2. Reduce my pedal dancing while increasing the complexity of my changes in tone and effects options, and
3. keep the pedal footprint small and carry one less guitar amp.

I'm planning to run full amp/cab models in the AX8 to the FOH, and direct line (minus, power and cab simulation) to the front end of either the Z-28 or JVM. I will try out each, but hope the smaller Z-28 works best. I hope this will allow me to have pretty decent base amp sound simulations (Vox / Fender / Marshall), great effects (whammy, drives, phase, flange, chorus, delays, reverbs). I know the regular guitar amp will be a little limiting, but we'll see how it goes! Maybe one day I'll recover from all my purchases lately to buy a legit FRFR backline solution.

Btw -I'm not usually this long winded...(thumbs up).

Any tips or suggestions always welcomed. Thanks!

Welcome to the machine.

Objective 1 - Done.
Objective 2 - Done
Objective 3 - Mostly done. I am not familiar with the Z-28. If it has an effects loop, use the effects return as your amp input. Usually the effects return bypasses the preamp stage.

Thanks! Yeah the Z-28 doesn't have an effects loop, but it has an ef86 pre-amp tube that takes stomp pedals really really well. But we'll see. The Marshall has the loop, but also is way more work to lug the head and 4x12 cab around.

Note that there is only one amp block per preset in the AX8, so if you want full power amp modeling being sent direct to FOH, it will be active in the signal sent to your stage amp as well. You can split the signal before the cab block, but you can't separate the preamp/poweramp stages.

The solution on the Axe-Fx II is to run two amp blocks with the same settings, but one with power amp modeling disabled.

In your case, you'd be running full pre/power amp modeling into the front of a tube guitar amp, which might* not yield stellar results.

Possible solution: run all effect blocks before the amp block, and the split the signal to your real amp immediately after the effects. FOH will get a "pedalboard into a clean amp/cab" chain with the amp/cab model/IR of your choice, and you'll get the same "pedalboard" chain into your real amp on stage. Use drive pedals and parametric EQ to shape tone.

*then again, YMMV and tone is in the hands. ;-)

I just purchased the AX8 and obviously I'm very excited! I'm saying hi to and want to thank the forum and contributors as I recognize what a great resource you all are, and want to say thanks for what I've derived already in my research.

I'm pretty new to the modeling game, but have some experience with digital effects (Nova System, and TC Helicon VL3). I currently use the VL3 in my cover band (80's to current alternative stuff) for vocal effects and and some guitar effects. I run a few stomp boxes (digitech whammy, Zvex Box of Rocks, Keeley-Boss BD-2) into the VL3 (chorus, delay & reverb) then out to the front end of two guitar amps (Dr. z-28, Marshall JVM205H) that are set pretty cleanly. This set-up is pretty decent but leaves many things to be desired. Sadly I much prefer the BD-2 overdrive to my Marshall's preamp all day long. Very sad state of affairs. I'm not a metal guy so lower end of the distortion spectrum is probably my happy base, and with good fuzzes for solo's.

Anyway, with the AX8 I'm really hoping to accomplish 3 things.
1. Improve tone
2. Reduce my pedal dancing while increasing the complexity of my changes in tone and effects options, and
3. keep the pedal footprint small and carry one less guitar amp.

I'm planning to run full amp/cab models in the AX8 to the FOH, and direct line (minus, power and cab simulation) to the front end of either the Z-28 or JVM. I will try out each, but hope the smaller Z-28 works best. I hope this will allow me to have pretty decent base amp sound simulations (Vox / Fender / Marshall), great effects (whammy, drives, phase, flange, chorus, delays, reverbs). I know the regular guitar amp will be a little limiting, but we'll see how it goes! Maybe one day I'll recover from all my purchases lately to buy a legit FRFR backline solution.

Btw -I'm not usually this long winded...(thumbs up).

Any tips or suggestions always welcomed. Thanks!

I dont think you will be very happy with this setup. If you plug into the front of a tube amp you wont be getting an accurate representation of any of the modeled amps. The sound might work for you but you wont be able to switch between marshal, mesa, fender ect sounds. Everything is going to be colored by the tube amp you run through.
If I were you I would just use the Ax8 for FX and mic the cab of your Z38 or disable power amp modeling and run in the FX loop return of your marshal and mic the 4x12. That would at least let you use the pre-amp modeling.
Another option would be to buy a power amp and run that to your 4x12, then you can turn on power amp modeling on and just rout the cab to FOH.In my opinion though, if you have a cab on stage you might as well mic it.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! That's a bit to chew on - but all makes sense.

I'm going to give Philipacamaniac's suggestion a shot first by seeing if I can cover the ground I need by employing clean model amp set-ups and then running model effects pedals out front, and splitting my physical amp signal out before it hits any amp modeling. I'd really like to stick to a light stage set-up (the z-28 combo). If its not sounding great, I'll probably try Iwknives suggestion of running into the effects loop of the Marshall. This all might result in me getting an FRFR sooner then later. But what I really need to figure out is if I like the model amps tones live - or if I'm a tube amp snob. No idea as I've never played/owned a quality modeler, the VL3 is joke for amp simulations - that took all of 5 seconds to figure out.

My cover band is not a professional group by any standards, we're a three piece and I cover lead vocals and guitars. We cover anything from the Pixies, the Cure, White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, to RATM, so there are a lot of tones that I attempt to cover (and often not well!!). Anyway, I think the first step is to see if I can get a handful of modeled tones out of the PA that get me excited playing live. I want to somewhat get most of this stuff figured out oustide of rehearsal because I'm sure there is nothing worse then sitting there while your guitar player endlessly fiddles with his set-up....

Shipping tracking says 4 days - can't wait....

Last edited:
Now you guys are just getting me excited! Seriously - I'm counting the minutes until the arrival of the "machine" (while trying not to clutter the board with useless posts...)

I got mine before Christmas every time since when I have time to play it's as exciting as the first time if not more cuz each time more to hear, learn & explore AX8 truly is the guitar toy/tool that keeps on giving! Your day will come.... Did you check your front door maybe that's the delivery person now! :)

Back
Top Bottom