New to the forum and Fractal.

Jay Shade

I am new to the forum and Fractal products. I just ordered an AX8, due to arrive on Friday. Any advise on what I need to do to prepare. I am an old school tube amp nut, who is trying to make the jump to the digital age.

Do you have a FRFR?

If not, how are you planning to hear it? In the FX return of an amp, studio monitors or headphones?

I can definitely help you to have the best "first impression" since it is quite different from the classic tube amp approach :)

I got my AX8 today and am very pleased with the presets and the ease with which you can operate it. I am learning to use it from the front panel and it has a very sensible and logical modus operandi. I am really looking forward to a long enjoyable musical relationship with the AX8.
Well done Fractal!

Do you have a FRFR?

If not, how are you planning to hear it? In the FX return of an amp, studio monitors or headphones?

I can definitely help you to have the best "first impression" since it is quite different from the classic tube amp approach :)
I have in ears, jbl 712 powered speaker, I have numerous speakers and power amps,
I have studio monitors

Well Welcome and call me crazy but I would go thru every preset and any that tickle your fancy, write it down. Even if you never use them (I do) you can use them as a learning tool to get your own sounds and experience what the AX8 is capable of.

From my experience on the site there are 2 schools of thought.
As mentioned above what you listen thru is big. Good studio monitors are almost always OK to start. Obviously you have all you need.

1. What I said above about the presets. I use many presets but always tweak them a bit for me. Not deep, just enough and of course the FX I like. I am old school in the sense that I never used a lot of fx- and mostly Musicman amps and a few Fenders

2. Start from scratch. with an amp of choice and a cab of choice and start there.
Pretty much 50/50 it seems and there is no wrong way-it's your tool.

You will get a ton of help from this forum, so enjoy.................................Your going to have fun!

What type of studio monitors? The jbl sounds like a good choice also. Good Studio monitors tend to be clean and flat - so you get a pretty good idea right off the bat. You will probably change what you use as you learn more. or not

also I am guessing you did your homework so it is different than having a Marshall behind you.....

Do you have a FRFR?

I have in ears, jbl powered monitors, peavy spx 15 monitors, 2x12 cabs 4x12 cabs, power amps studio monitors What would be the best first impression?

Welcome Jay!

Studio monitors will give you the best representation of what you're supposed to be hearing.

Pauly

Yep! Studio monitors are awesome to hear the true potential of the unit.

But playing in a FRFR is "closer" to how it will sound FOH.

Either way, experiment! :)

The order a pizza and read it again. Fractal stuff can go deep. It intimidates me just looking at it. :oops:

True, but you don't need to read all to play through it and get a good tone out of it. I suggest play with it for a while and just dive into the manuals for complex stuff :)

Welcome, congrats, read a lot, test things out, learn the interface, update if needed, create your own presets from scratch & reverse engineer other users presets to your liking.

It's taken me a long time to fully understand what the AX8 is all about in its functionality.

I've gotten better then average tones from the very start, but it just takes time & effort to understand a unit that is capable of just about anything. This is a PRO level unit that goes VERY DEEP & that requires a lot on the users end.

Make some "Fractal Friends" & buy the Fremen rigs too. They are a great way to see another side of the AX8 & you can pick apart & copy the blocks that work for you.

"It's all about the IR, it's all about the IR".

Fremens "Recto Cabs" & his "JS410" & "Egnater" cabs are just fantastic for me.....& work for what I try to do.

Again be patient, welcome & enjoy your tone journey!

Peace! X-Mann \m/

Back
Top Bottom