New to Fractal

Dwaldrop123

Hi. As a forum user for other things I thought I would say hello for my first post. I get my axe fx 3 soon and am super excited. Normally I play a Marshall jvm and a 5150III in a Steve Vai/super shredder style but I'm tired of dealing with my amps breaking or sounding off on the odd Monday haha. Anything I should do when I first fire this thing up?

Make a big pot of coffee, close the blinds and ease into it.

The presets are really good on the III but firing up a blank preset, popping an amp and cab in and starting to get a feel for how different amp and cab models interact is probably the best way to get used to how to operate the III.

Hi. As a forum user for other things I thought I would say hello for my first post. I get my axe fx 3 soon and am super excited. Normally I play a Marshall jvm and a 5150III in a Steve Vai/super shredder style but I'm tired of dealing with my amps breaking or sounding off on the odd Monday haha. Anything I should do when I first fire this thing up?
I have the same 2 amps. Haven't touched them in years.

While you’re waiting, get a copy of the manual and get familiar with the quick setup information, and with where each subject you might need is located (setup, blocks, etc). You’ll be needing them later.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-3/Axe-Fx-III-Owners-Manual.pdf

Then bookmark the Wiki, and say a silent thank you for Saint Yek, who maintains it.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx3

With those under your belt, you are officially allowed to open the box when it arrives, Then, have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm a manual geek so I've already been getting deep into it. Can't wait to actually hear the thing haha. I'm not going to run it into an amp just into my computer direct or maybe my interface and just use headphones for now. I went to school for recording tech and computer science so I'm quite familiar with my Sony studio headphones for mixing.

Congrats and welcome to the club! Some good advice here already, you may want to start looking around Axechange for presets you might want to download as well! http://axechange.fractalaudio.com

Last edited:
Welcome! I've had both those amps you mentioned. Compared them side by side with the Axe Fx and the Axe Fx sounds better. No comparison. Running live? Look at the Xitone powered cabs. Can't recommend them enough! I use that for stage volume and also use in ears and run direct to FOH. Best sound ever!

Make a big pot of coffee, close the blinds and ease into it.

The presets are really good on the III but firing up a blank preset, popping an amp and cab in and starting to get a feel for how different amp and cab models interact is probably the best way to get used to how to operate the III.
And watch all Leon's youtube clips and subscribe. He's a beast of a player and thoroughly enjoy his delivery and explanations!

Welcome to the fractal world!!! The Axe FX iii is awesome the peset are just the coolest, and I really like the looper and all the effects. I still have only scratched the surface of what this thing can do. I’m waiting on an Fc12 and not in any hurry because of our living conditions at this time from Hurricane Michael. I just can’t say enough about fractal keep up all the good work.:)

Best to learn the terminology right away. That is often an obstacle when people ask questions here - they refer to the wrong things, and the very willing experts have a hard time figuring out what they are asking.

I'm into month 3 with mine and now I can't imagine not using the axe. I look forward to digging in a little more everyday. I learned to practice patience but the rewards are amazing. Enjoy the journey and don't be so worried about figuring it all out. I refer to the manual and the forums daily. Have fun!

Welcome to the club.

The advice the others have given above is rock solid, but one thing that got me straight out of the box, was the need to place an IN and an OUT blocks on the grid, just to have any throughput. It wasn't required on the AxeFXII units, so I'm just bringing up the IN and OUT blocks in case you used any of the previous Fractal rack gear and happened to skim this portion in the manual. ;)

Enjoy your AxeFXIII!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom