New to Fractal - What studio monitors are people using for home use?

Match your monitors to your need and space. If you play at late night volume in a small room, your not going to want a higher power 8” unit, at least without significant room treatment

Want to position near walls due to space? Avoid soemthing rear ported, likewise corners

Have a big room, desk in the middle of the room, acoustically treated ? Get a nice mid-field pair of you can swing it, and/or a sub

I had the original hr824’s with passive radiator in a 8x10 room for a while, so boomy as essentially the whole little room was a corner. Totally poor choice for the space.

Match your budget, your room, and your needs. Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to monitors

Thanks for your very helpful advice. I’m going to be in a smaller room so I think front port will be important and happy to consider a 5” and let the axe fx do the tone shaping. I’m gonna be sitting right between the monitors after all...

Look around in this forum.

Like others have said. Don't skimp. I use HS8's which work great for me, but I would be doing the Adam A8X if I had to do it all over.
Thanks for your input! HS5 or HS7 are on my shortlist. Only thing is no front port...I have to work out how important front port might be. They will be up against a wall or corner on each side of the room. Cheers!

I really don’t think there are bad monitors on the market these days. I’ve got friends with lower end JBL’s, Truths etc and they still sound darn good overall. My monitors don’t really sound 5x better even though I paid 5x as much.

You obviously do get what you paid for still, but a $99 on sale JBL 305 still will work really well and be great bang for the buck.

We’ve come such a long ways since early project studios and home DAW’s where most of is were using home stereo speakers or PC gaming speakers, neither of which were remotely accurate.

I could swap my Scepters for Mackies, Adams, etc and still be perfectly happy. Nothing really bad on the market I’ve come across.
Thanks that gives me a bit more confidence - auditioning is not that easy for me so everyone’s advice here is very helpful. Cheers!

I have a pair of Genelec 8040As hooked up to my main recording rig.and a pair of Genelec M030s for my practice mixer setup. For rehearsal and live use - Atomic CLRs and RCF ART-708.
Thanks - I see a few others are using the genelecs as well. They seem like a good option...

T
I'm very excited about your purchase, and there are indeed many threads about the "best" speakers. I suspect that any near-field studio monitors that you have sitting around will sound great. I'm very pleased with my "stereo," it is a whole bunch of inputs (Amazon Echo, Apple Airport Express, Axe-FX, ...) feeding into a pair of 8" studio monitors. Have fun!!
Thanks kgk! Ive had my axe fx 3 with me for 2 weeks now and tonight I fly home so very excited to be plugging in in the next 24hrs (as soon as I practically can after saying “hi” to the family without coming across as a totally self absorbed gimp )

Hi fractivator,
Now I'm old enough to know better - I suggest auditioning a whole bunch of expensive, professional studio monitors, and buying the pair that 'does it' for you - even if you can't afford it. the ones that make your favourite music sound as if you are there in the room without hyping or changing that feeling of being there with the musicians.
Now, you will think about the money, but for the next xx years, you have to live with your purchase with the one most crucial item, that is the interface between you and your music.
Let us know what you get.
Thanks
Pauly
Hi Pauly. Very wise advice by the sound of it. I have spent some solid coin on my guitars and now fractal so agree skimping on monitors is not the answer. Cheers!

Adam A7x here. If there's one thing you don't want to skimp on it's monitors; the money you spend will be worth it.
Thanks 2112! Big fan of your YouTube posts which helped me in deciding Fractal was 100% the way to go. I’m seriously considering A5X due to size of my room. Any disadvantage if I shot for the A7X?

This:
images

And this:
images

Is as important as good quality studio monitors.

Bad room acoustics can ruin the most expensive and accurate monitors

This:
images

And this:
images

Is as important as good quality studio monitors.

Bad room acoustics can ruin the most expensive and accurate monitors
Cheers for the tip Piing and very good point. Once I have everything in place, I’ll experiment with room acoustics...I know I’m going to be one happy camper once all this kit is set up

@Fractivator --

You have to listen to enough monitors (using ordinary music, preferably on CD) to know what good and bad monitors sound like.
I wouldn't take anyone's advice, short of someone who works professionally in a recording studio and has listened to a lot of monitors.

If you just need something to get started, the JBL 305's are inexpensive and not awful.
You can replace them with something better later and not lose much money.

Thanks for your very helpful advice. I’m going to be in a smaller room so I think front port will be important and happy to consider a 5” and let the axe fx do the tone shaping. I’m gonna be sitting right between the monitors after all...
I had this issue. . . started with 8 inch rear ported and it was too bassy, so I switched to Focal Alpha 50s (front ported) and they sound great to me.

I had this issue. . . started with 8 inch rear ported and it was too bassy, so I switched to Focal Alpha 50s (front ported) and they sound great to me.
Thanks for the input Wigam2. Everyone is so helpful in this forum and I’m quickly building up a shortlist of preferred monitors to evaluate as well as size / design aspects to look for. Really appreciate everyone’s guidance here.

I got into a pair of Adam T7V for $400 shipped brand new and they've been fantastic. I actually like that they're a little less analytical than the full fat Adams, as I'm not trying to mix tracks. They don't have the excessive bass that you get from some 7/8" based monitors, and I'm really impressed with how the ribbons handle highs. Of course they're rear ported so that could be an issue - I have massive Gik corner bass traps in my room behind them. Room acoustics count.

On a tight budget, you can get the older model JBL LSR305 and that is a great way to go.

Back
Top Bottom