New to Fractal...looking for AX8 rig advice

They sell them Sweetwater where I have room on the ole CC :)

Ha, Ok that makes sense! I just watched the vid on the Line 6 112 and it looks like it could be cool. It does have some options that CLR or Xitone don't have. I will say 250 watts might be a tad shy on power if you get really loud & heavy. I know my CLR will bring it on the heavy stuff you just need to know how to EQ it.

A guitar speaker and a Full range speaker have different X-Max values so you might want to look into that subject. It will explain how a single 12" FR speaker can deliver lowend.

Ha, Ok that makes sense! I just watched the vid on the Line 6 112 and it looks like it could be cool. It does have some options that CLR or Xitone don't have. I will say 250 watts might be a tad shy on power if you get really loud & heavy. I know my CLR will bring it on the heavy stuff you just need to know how to EQ it.

A guitar speaker and a Full range speaker have different X-Max values so you might want to look into that subject. It will explain how a single 12" FR speaker can deliver lowend.

Good to know!

It really isn't even the price that gives me any pause....I've spent a lot lately on music stuff and lets just say I want to avoid any more imperial attention

Good to know!

It really isn't even the price that gives me any pause....I've spent a lot lately on music stuff and lets just say I want to avoid any more imperial attention

I hear ya, we have all been there done that I'm no exception. I just did it with a small 8 channel mixing board thought I could fly it under the money radar to no avail. It's hard for me to hide any music gear as of late because I have thinned down so much.

Howdy folks -

Looking to build a rig from scratch around the AX8. I'm primarily a home player, but want to be able to jam with friends and play the occasional small bar gig. Maybe some church usage as well. I play (not well, but hey) all kinds of music from metal to country. From my research the AX8 really sounds like it will give me the versatility I crave and be an awesome tool for using with my Apollo Twin/Logic for recording.

My question - I don't know WTF to do re: FRFR or power amp and cap.

Lately I've been playing through amp sims in my Apollo Twin with studio monitors half the time and also through a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb + tons of pedals the rest. I vastly prefer the feel from the Deluxe - though I get better recordings when using UAD sims.

Are any of the FRFR solutions similar in feel to a amp in a room? Maybe the Friedman or the new Line 6 powered cab? How do these work when jamming with a bassist + drummer when no PA is present (I want a big, full heavy tone)?

Or would I be better off getting a power amp and an Orange 2x12 or something similar?

Thanks in advance!
Its funny you posted this becuse going thru the samething. I have seen other ppl rigs one guy uses 2 2 by 12 cabs, am think of doing the same or powered speakers

Its funny you posted this becuse going thru the samething. I have seen other ppl rigs one guy uses 2 2 by 12 cabs, am think of doing the same or powered speakers

I think I'm about to purchase the ISP Stealth power amp and a 2x12 cab that is wired to run in stereo.

I figure I can use my studio monitors for FRFR testing and eventually by powered monitors if I like that better.

I think I'm about to purchase the ISP Stealth power amp and a 2x12 cab that is wired to run in stereo.

I figure I can use my studio monitors for FRFR testing and eventually by powered monitors if I like that better.
I have no personal experience, but I think the general consensus on the Stealth is that it isn't very flat, and I believe it performs poorly at higher volumes.

I have no personal experience, but I think the general consensus on the Stealth is that it isn't very flat, and I believe it performs poorly at higher volumes.
Good to know, thanks for the tip.

Is there generally well reviewed power amp in the 300-400 dollar range? I've seen Matrix recommended a lot but those seem to be fairly expensive and aren't available at Sweetwater or MF.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

Is there generally well reviewed power amp in the 300-400 dollar range? I've seen Matrix recommended a lot but those seem to be fairly expensive and aren't available at Sweetwater or MF.
I think the Powerstage 170 is in that range and seems to get good reviews. I have no experience with that, either.

I use the Matrix GT800FX, which I bought used. That is a great choice!

I actually just bought an AX8 as well.

I recently picked up a couple XiTone passive wedges. I already had a Matrix GT800 so went the passive route to use with my axe fxII. I really dig the setup. Now that I have the AX8 tho, I’ve been rethinking about the actives. Here’s why...

1. Consolidation. If I am to gig with the ax8, having a separate power amp is just more to carry and set up.
2. Redundancy. I use two cabs. If my power amp for the passives blows, I’m done with both cabs. I will be FOH of course, but the back line is out. With powered cans, if I lose one power amp, I still have the other.

Since I have already tried and like the XiTone, I am going to stick with what works for me.

I play mostly hard rock/metal some high gain some heavy crunch. For me, the XiTones cover it well.

Side note. Played my second gig last night going FOH and XiTones on stage for backline and loved it. The tones I dialed in with the XiTones represented VERY well in FOH! I was super happy. My mic’d 4x12’s NEVER sounded that good through a PA. And because of the superior dispersion, I never had to bend down in front of my cab to hear my tone.

Buy the Friedman ASM or ASC 12 from Sweetwater. If you don't like it send it back. I have both and use them at rehearsal and at gigs. No complaints about my sound being weak from my bandmates. When I made the switch to FRFR, if it sounded weak, they would have let me know real quick.

Ckeck out the Atomic widgets little pricey sounds awesome. Found one on reverb com. They go for a little over 600 but the used one was about 350.Was in guitar center they have some powered speaker also. Didnt try any of them was not feel well will go back and try some them out

When I get my xitone I'll do my best to answer the question. So far though I just don't have any experience with the frfr side.

A power amp and cab will obviously get you there though. Basically imagine having a warehouse full of heads that you can pick out and stack on your cab... That's basically how it is with an ax8 and a real cab.
Did you ever get your Xitone? Would be curious to know how you feel it compares to the guitar cab/power amp.

I ended up getting a Line 6 Powercab - I think it sounds pretty good but not 100% sold on it. Debating trying the powerstage 170 and a 2x12 Laney cab loaded with V30s.

Did you ever get your Xitone? Would be curious to know how you feel it compares to the guitar cab/power amp.

I ended up getting a Line 6 Powercab - I think it sounds pretty good but not 100% sold on it. Debating trying the powerstage 170 and a 2x12 Laney cab loaded with V30s.

I did, two posts up I linked you to a thread I made for it.

I'm still torn on it. The xitone is an awesome frfr cab, I'm just not really sold on frfr. It seems extremely useful, really versatile, great tones etc... But it just doesn't really compare to my 2x12. I mentally knew that going into it, but I guess just had to hear and feel it for myself. I was actually just telling my friend/other guitarist that if the xitone was all I had, I don't think I would be upset. But because I can a/b straight to a badass Vader 2x12 it's very easy to compare and contrast and be very aware of what I'm missing out on by going frfr.

I'm keeping the xitone and planning to get a second, but we'll basically be using them as over power studio monitors... Using them for recording guitars over drum tracks and things like that. If I was gigging at all I would be 100% for them and probably never bring a traditional cab to a gig, but we just practice/write/record at the practice space and that's about it so my use case is just limited for frfr.

Back
Top Bottom