New to fractal. Can't wait for my ax8

just put my name on the list a few days ago. This will be my first fractal audio product. I have watched tons of videos on the axe2 and at this price point I cannot justify not purchasing this product. I hate getting in on the ground floor of anything, but with the wealth of experience of the many axe2 users and the similarities with axe edit.... I figured it was a safe bet!

Reasons for purchase....

1 quality
2 support
3 made in the USA
4 active forum with lots of helpful users
5 tons of presets downloadable
6 mark day
7 cooper
8 flexibility
9 updates updates updates!!!!

Looking forward to this new experience.

It's kind of funny... This product and the axe remind me of the digitech 2101, 2112 rack series... TBH, I loved those! They even had a computer based editor... Very forward thinking of them back in the day, if they would have kept going, the whole landscape of modeling would have looked very different. Just my random thoughts!

I actually made 2 detuned 2x12 cabinets using the London power design for a modeling application. I have eminence legend modeling 12 speakers in them...

I ran a ton of experiments trying different types of amplification techniques with a new at the time boss gt8... Tried running straight into a PA... Sounded sterile... Ran into power amp guitar type then into some passive PA speakers... A bit of hiss was noted but better than straight to FOH... The best option I came up with was power amp into stereo cabs...

That was when I decided to design my own cabs for the unit... And bought a mosvalve power amp.

I did all of this prior to everyone jumping on board the whole FRFR thing.... I will post pics of the setup soon...

What I determined after all my trial and error was that the guitar speakers rolled off the high freq response that the PA speakers did not and that smoothed out my sound....

What expression pedals do I need to look at? Are there any that are spring loaded? I hate rocking back and forth on my foot....

I actually made 2 detuned 2x12 cabinets using the London power design for a modeling application. I have eminence legend modeling 12 speakers in them...

I ran a ton of experiments trying different types of amplification techniques with a new at the time boss gt8... Tried running straight into a PA... Sounded sterile... Ran into power amp guitar type then into some passive PA speakers... A bit of hiss was noted but better than straight to FOH... The best option I came up with was power amp into stereo cabs...

That was when I decided to design my own cabs for the unit... And bought a mosvalve power amp.

I did all of this prior to everyone jumping on board the whole FRFR thing.... I will post pics of the setup soon...

I'd be very interested to hear exactly how you did this. :cool: I am running FRFR (1 Line 6 L2T), and sometimes also run through the FX return of a tube amp into a 1-12 speaker cab. I love to run stereo, and I do miss the feel of traditional guitar cabs sometimes, but I also run acoustics & emulated acoustic instruments through my set up and for that reason, FRFR makes more sense. I'd love to find a reasonably affordable alternative that also includes some form of traditional guitar cabs.

I have the mission engineering spring loaded one, and I also have an EV-1. The EV-1 is the best pedal. The spring load is great. If there was a spring loaded EV-1, I would sell the mission in a heartbeat. That being said, the mission pedal is good too. I like the spring, it's amazing. Having one with and one without springs is the best plan, from experience (FX8)

I have the mission engineering spring loaded one, and I also have an EV-1. The EV-1 is the best pedal. The spring load is great. If there was a spring loaded EV-1, I would sell the mission in a heartbeat. That being said, the mission pedal is good too. I like the spring, it's amazing. Having one with and one without springs is the best plan, from experience (FX8)

What makes the EV-1 better?

I have a Moog EP-3 that works fantastic. It's not road worthy, but at $40 it's easy on the wallet.

The EV-1 has the most amazing smooth long throw. I've never touched a nicer gliding pedal, with that much range.

The EV-1 has the most amazing smooth long throw. I've never touched a nicer gliding pedal, with that much range.

Interesting. I had a Yamaha FC7 for a while and had the opposite impression about its long throw. Of course, I've never touched an EV-1, but the FC7 had a REALLY long throw that made it difficult to do full sweeps very easily and ended up being awkward to use for wah. Too much of a good thing, so to speak.

The Moog EP-3 is similar to a Mission or a CryBaby in that regard.

I wonder if they'll come out with a spring loaded version of the EV-1?

With the adjustable curves even a long throw pedal can do wah like you're used to. If you're new to fractal, maybe you don't know how configurable and tunable the control curves can be. If you like a shorter pedal, the mission is king. I use it for wah, with a spring. But I find the ev-1 can do much better precision work. I would use it for all volume swells, filters, modulation speed adjustments that I like to leave sitting there. Lots of good reasons why your expression should not move in some cases.

What I mean about the Yamaha FC7 is that the physical throw of the pedal (the distance from toe to heel) was at least 3x or 4x the throw of a CryBaby, for instance. At the heel position, it feels like it's 45 degrees -- it'll give you shin splints :)

Then forget the EV-1, you probably won't like it :) I find that to be a feature, not a bug. The crybaby/mission pedals are about 1/3 the throw of the EV-1.

Back
Top Bottom