Eduardo lara

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Axe FX Ultra and am loving it (playing downtuned metal/post-hardcore). The truth is that it's a beast of a machine and learning how to fully use it will take time. Wanted to ask a few questions that will help me get on my way. Answer all or a few - anything would be helpful and appreciated!
  • Is there Axe Edit for Ultra? (If so, can you share a download link please)
  • What power amp do you recommend I use? Budget is probably $300- $500
  • Any tutorials you can recommend to learn the main functionalities of the Ultra so I can begin building presets and dialing different tones?
Any general advice would be great too!

Thanks,
Eduardo

With an ultra - I'd specifically suggest you pick up a used Tube Power amp. 300-500 you might be able to find a mesa 290 or VHT. You could definitely find a Carvin TS100 or Some of the Peavey's.

I'd recommend buying Cooper Carter's excellent video series :
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/using-axefx-cooper-carter

This is a fantastic introduction to the AxeFX, and will help familiarize you with the concepts of tone building in this machine. Welcome to the club!

Power Amp recommendations : your best bet is to go with a neutral FRFR (full range flat response) power amp, into a full range cabinet. That way you have a neutral amplification path, and can take advantage of the AxeFX's cabinet modeling capabilities. I use a Carvin DCM-LX Class D power amp, which is 350 watts into 8 ohms, and that is plenty for stage volume! I paid around $350 for my amp, and it's been a reliable workhorse.

If you do end up going with a tube power amp, make sure you switch the cab/power amp sims off in the global menu. If you go with a SS amp into a guitar cab, I'd recommend leaving the power amp sims on and playing around with the thump/warmth controls; makes a world of difference.

Enjoy!

Also, if you're looking to run direct to FOH at gigs but still use an amp and cab on stage, you can insert an effects loop block before the cab block to use output 2 to your power amp/cab while still using output 1 (with cab sims on) to send to FOH. I've got my ultra setup like this and it works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom