New to forum | should I buy one then?

mattseed

Inspired
Hi guys I have been thinking about getting an FXII for some time. I only write and record at home these days classic rock to prog metal. I ave been through many amps but struggled to get great tones at back bedroom volumes. I have heard so much about these things but I live in the uk so I just can't find a way to try one and parting with over 2 grand without trying seems madness. I know a lot of my favourite players like Vai, Alex lifeson, Guthrie Govan etc all give glowing reports but are they all using it just as an effects processor ? I would be wanting use it to replace an amp in the studio?

Any advice would be great?
Matthew

Thanks supersonic your probably right. I'd never buy something at this cost blind like this do why should I now for ever stunning review I've found Theres another saying it's awful and the sounds are no where near the real deal. Tough call !

I bought it without trying first. Best thing I've ever bought.
First I read alot here and on the Axe Wiki pages and the manual.

Welcome!

Big +1 to this. I bought sight unseen and it's the best purchase I've ever made. I did most of my reading up here and on TGP. Give it a shot, it'll prolly be right up your alley.

Thank you everybody for your input. I had lined up to buy a Mesa boogie mark V head and a Two Notes Torpedo 101 load box/cab simulator. Then I thought well if the amp sounds are good enough in the Fractal I could just get that instead. I've used somme modelling stuff before but I've been playing 20 years to a decent level and like good tone so I wasn't sure any modelling kit could be as good as they say this is. I'm edging closer though, the more I read.

Thank you again guys
Matthew

I just purchased mine sight unseen. The one thing is if u keep it for a year and decide to sell, you might get back 80% of its original price....not too bad. So I figured I have a year to fully understand and utilize this box and if I can't loosing $400 is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I've had mine over a year now, and an Ultra before that.

It's great to read about it and become familiar with the features, but it's listening to the sounds of this incredible box that continue to blow me away.
There are some great things to listen to in the Axe-Fx II Recordings pages.

With the latest firmware, it's even easier to just plug and play through all the various presets in the new Preset A bank.

Like Cobbler said, you also get a 15 day trial period.

There is nothing else on the planet like the AXE-II

go for it!!

It probably goes without saying that most if not all of us are fans...

I too bought mine 'blind' after probably 6 months of cruising the forum. After a bit of learning curve, I sold off a Fuchs, a Carr, a Tone Master (Fender), and most of my other amps (I still have a couple, which I rarely use). Some thoughts:

• You will NEVER, EVER, EVER sound that good at a house/bedroom volume as you will with the Axe-FX II*
  • *You will need to tweak your patches for playing at LIVE venues at LIVE levels... bedroom level patches don't translate to LIVE level patches well
  • There is great religion around whether to use a power amp/guitar speaker as a back end or a powered FRFR monitor (Full Range Flat Response) - either is a great choice, although the latter will allow you to experience the full spectrum of Axe-FX II power amp modeling and the speaker IR's (impulse responses)
  • It is so easy to record with the Axe-FX II, using either digital or analog interfaces, that you'll wonder why you spent years with mics and cabs
  • Is it better than the Kemper? Obviously we think so (and I believe there are some tone shoot outs)...
  • Is there a resale market - yep
  • Is it tough to learn? Not at the uppermost levels, but there are plenty of deep parameters available to the brave/knowledgeable
  • Is there adequate software/firmware support - ridiculously so
  • Should you buy one? Probably - if you are hedging for any of the above reasons, don't be worried

I'm just a happy customer - not reimbursed or comped in any way.

I know a lot of my favourite players like Vai, Alex lifeson, Guthrie Govan etc all give glowing reports but are they all using it just as an effects processor ? I would be wanting use it to replace an amp in the studio?

Any advice would be great?
Matthew

If you can afford it go for it. You will love it for the studio.

I'm in no comparison with many other forumers that are great guitar player in bands , making lots of venues. So my experience is to play in my home studio, just for pleasure. Before the AF2 I had a diezel einstein head 100w with power attenuator and a big 2*12 guitar cab. I still have 2 tube amp of 15W and 40W with a 1*12 cab.
I sold the Einstein and 2*12 to a friend in a band, and took an AF2 when just moving to FW10.
what can I say ? the best gear I ever bought !!! as all guys said in that forum... but it's really true.

I can have amp sounds and tones that I wasn't able to get with my amps at room level... FW11 is really awesome: let's say you have a very very similar tone and behavior to the actual amps: clearly when guys playing in bands come over to visit me, they can't believe what they hear !
You can use it directly, or with some slight tweak with parameters, dramatically changing the tone. And just play with IR (as you know with the Torpedo- a great gear too) change your tone, retaining the amps character. Always a real dynamic in playing and a full sound. Love it !
and so easy to record through the digital SPDIF for exemple (I have an EMU 1212m and the recording are great).
just limited with my fingers.. harrrgg.

Plentiful of AXE players in UK, perhaps someone around your area. Make a callout here on the forum, maybe you could check it out in person before buying. otherwise as already pointed out, 15days return policy. G66 are awesome to deal with. Can purchase with confidence.

Thank you all for for those lovely and helpful responses, what a warm positive forum this is.....which I guess speaks volumes of the product. Thanks to all you guys I may well be taking the plunge. Just gotta get over the silly feeling of spending 20+ years dreaming of and loving all these amps and now owning a black box......but hey I gotta do the best thing for my studio recording as that's all I do now and this seems to be a great way to go.

Thank you all once again and I'm looking forward to more chats.

P.S if there is anyone in the UK on here that would be happy for me to pop over for a quick demo I would appreciate that. I live in the northwest but with my work I travel all over UK so nowhere is a problem.

you're welcome to swing by here if you're ever in south wales. start a new thread with your location in the thread title and i'm sure you'll be able to hook up with someone local

As the others said, it's a safe bet to buy one. If you don't like it, send it back for a full refund. Simple. I bought a Standard, then Ultra, then II without trying one first. And now, the thought of using a single valve amp as the basis of my rig seems downright silly to me. It's funny how your preconceptions get flipped around due to the limitless possibilities.

Thanks supersonic your probably right. I'd never buy something at this cost blind like this do why should I now for ever stunning review I've found Theres another saying it's awful and the sounds are no where near the real deal. Tough call !
I'm not going to try to understand the reasoning behind the internet fights over the AxeFXII; it's absolutely old and tired at this point, but I do think that several years ago there were some valid points made opposing the AxeFX stuff early on that would go from legitimate questions or issues and turn into bashfests and get stupid on both sides real quick. Just trying to be as unbiased as possible here because you can't really have an argument without two parties involved.

But I've been using the FAS stuff for years now and I've seen where it started which was very good, but required a considerable amount of knowledge and trial and error to where it quickly evolved into one of the most amazing pieces of gear I've ever touched. Hell, it is the best piece of gear I've ever used. The release notes are a really good historical account of what's been done and you'll probably find that most arguments (meaning rational, fact based and specific) have been addressed and fixed. There are also numerous innovations that Cliff has implemented along the way as well. I've said this a million times probably, but the moment that Cliff went through and matched the values of the amp models (for things like treble, bass, mids, etc.) to the real amp values the entire process of patch creation and tweaking got a lot easier. I don't know how to explain it better, but to me it appeared that if I was making a preset and say I wanted more treble I could go beyond what the amp would be able to do in real life and it would either be amazing or more typically it would become less authentic. By matching the real deal better it was almost akin to putting limits in there that kept you from getting into trouble. So you want more treble in that patch and you're already on ten? Well it turns out that it wasn't the treble value, but you were using the wrong cabinet or you needed to take a little bass and mid out and raise the volume instead. Or you could just add an EQ in there some where. The thing is that the amp retains the character of the original a lot better. It also helps all of us who go in there and start out by tweaking with our eyes first (because we all do it at some point).

My long winded point here is that back when I had the Ultra and even the early firmware version of the AxeFXII I had come up with an understanding of how to create a patch based on considerable trial and error. There was a definite learning curve, but you were absolutely rewarded for your work. It's been about a year now since I've had to apply more than a fraction of that effort to create better patches than ever before. So I think that while some of the root causes for the arguments about it being hard or being less than authentic stemmed from actual issues those arguments are extremely dated and irrelevant today. And I've really simplified my post here to address just one change; along the way Cliff has reworked a lot of the models using new techniques like MIMIC and voodoo dolls and whatever the hell it is that he does in his lab. Sometimes there would only be a small change, sometimes it'd be massive, but they've all moved into a direction where the entire product has just gotten better and more importantly easier to get to where you want to go with your tone.

And I'm coming from a background of years of frustration with VSTi's and other a laundry list of modelers. I started down the virtual road back in the mid 90's with the original Roland VG-8. What I found was that almost every product could do at least one thing very well, but typically they would do a whole lot of things less than good. That's not the case with this thing here. I can't get a bad sound from it unless I'm really trying to.

With all that said no single thing is the best for every single person. But I don't think that there is anything in this genre of technology that is as good from top to bottom or as well rounded.

Thank you again to all off you, and ShaSha I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out.....it all really helps me make a choice?

Thank you again all
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom