New to forum not an axe owner yet, but maybe soon

so I’m contemplating going over to axe fx. Or maybe even line 6... gasp!!!

I can tell axe has the upPer hand in amp emulation quality. But it’s seeming to me that line 6 May have axe in effects. So far I’m leaning towards axe for sure. But I can’t afford axe iii and line 6 does have the foot control already built in for a lot less.

My questions so far...

How is the axe fx with fuzz pedal emulation? I haven’t really found any Demoes with a good big muff or a good tonebwnder sound. What’s up with these? Ive always been skeptical of digital diet especially fuzz. Maybe I should just keep my analog dirt pedals? Does the axe work well running an external boost or fuzz into the input? From what I’ve heard it should right?

Can the axe do a shimmer reverb? I know it doesn’t have a preset. But can you put an effects lo You (internally) on a delay effect and put the pitch shifter in the loop so the delay keeps running through it and repeatedly gets more shifted?

Can the axe do a good imitation of something like the Czech lo do junky? All it really is is a hard limiting compression with some vinyl noise degradation and filtering eq. Akong with a vibrato? Maybe a little bit of bit crushing?

Ive searched for a patch but can’t find one.

And how long does it take approximately to switch between presets? I know there’s the new scene mode thing in axe iii but I can’t find any info on exactly how big the delay is switching between completely different presets. Lets just say it’s a giant switch with fx reordered and whatnot.

Thanks so much for the help. Ive really Been trying to research all the abilities and limitations but it’s so deep it’s difficult. I’m really interested in the internal looping thing. Like how deep can your parallel routing get? Maybe the axe iii can do a shimmer or you could use the fix loop to pull it off?

Thanks for any info guys!

How is the axe fx with fuzz pedal emulation?
The front end of the axe has some special stuff going on WRT input impedence and therefore acts as a buffer in front of everything. So getting an authentic dynamic response takes a little more work on the user end if that's what you're looking for, but the tones are definitely there.
Does the axe work well running an external boost or fuzz into the input? From what I’ve heard it should right?
It does, I've used my fuzz factory up front many a time
Can the axe do a shimmer reverb? I know it doesn’t have a preset. But can you put an effects lo You (internally) on a delay effect and put the pitch shifter in the loop so the delay keeps running through it and repeatedly gets more shifted?
Yep, quite easily if you run the delay in parallel with the mix at 100%
Can the axe do a good imitation of something like the Czech lo do junky? All it really is is a hard limiting compression with some vinyl noise degradation and filtering eq. Akong with a vibrato? Maybe a little bit of bit crushing?
Don't know what that is but there's a factory preset that does the warped vinyl thing you could add a tremolo block to?
Like how deep can your parallel routing get? Maybe the axe iii can do a shimmer or you could use the fix loop to pull it off?
As deep as you'd like it to get. Personally I keep things simple but I know there are people with extravagant routing doing things you'd never be able to do in the analog realm. It's all up to you :)

come on over I will let you test drive mine. got 2 axe 8's, axe fx II, and axe fx II xl, mfc mk III, 2 fractal exp pedals.

The front end of the axe has some special stuff going on WRT input impedence and therefore acts as a buffer in front of everything. So getting an authentic dynamic response takes a little more work on the user end if that's what you're looking for, but the tones are definitely there.

It does, I've used my fuzz factory up front many a time

Yep, quite easily if you run the delay in parallel with the mix at 100%

Don't know what that is but there's a factory preset that does the warped vinyl thing you could add a tremolo block to?

As deep as you'd like it to get. Personally I keep things simple but I know there are people with extravagant routing doing things you'd never be able to do in the analog realm. It's all up to you :)

come on over I will let you test drive mine. got 2 axe 8's, axe fx II, and axe fx II xl, mfc mk III, 2 fractal exp pedals.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS and/or GALS

You live near louisville, ky my dude? If so. I am bringing pizza and beer and/or drugs (Jk/nr)

So autocorrect got me a few times. I was referring to the zvex instant lo fi junky there at the end

Regarding shimmer.... can you put a delay and a pitch shift that gets progressively more pitch shifted’ as the delay repeats. Ive heard demoes where the delay comes out normal in first repeat then gets shifted once and repeats that.

I should note I’m also considering an avid eleven for amp models and some basic effects and the preamp. But using software and ableton for the effects and looping. Ive got a decent computer already. And it’s ridiculously more powerful than the axe iii. It seems kinda bs how the axe iii has such a small amount of rom and a tiny processor. The cost of increasing those components in today’s age is so little. Can you all please not live by the upgrade. In two years the shit available will be plenty enough to surpass today. Why step back 5 years?

I’m not a computer genius by any means. So maybe I should get tatted and feathered for saying that. But cmon

@Clayton Keibler Yea dude I am pretty close hear in central Florida, just a short drive.

The axe fx can do shimmer, no worries there.

The fractal products in my opinion are light years ahead of the elven rack.

Computers with a lot of processor I don't know jack about(much of any thing computer related for that matter)

Yeah, it can do everything you want. However, regarding the Fuzz, Fuzz is difficult to get “right” in the digital realm because the circuit relies on the varying impedance coming from the guitar/pickups. So if you are a true Fuzz junkie you’re definitely going to want the real deal, but it’ll work absolutely fine either going in the front end of the Fractal or running it in the loop.
And as far as CPU and all that goes, the II is pretty powerful, powerful enough for most anything you’d want to do with it FX wise. That’s not to say that you won’t run into any issues ever though. In regards to the III though, if you look at the benchmarks between the II & the III the III is so far beyond, I just can’t imagine ever running out of CPU with it. You also have to keep in mind that a PC also has to run an operating system & it’s not designed for one specific purpose. So it’s not really two things that are comparable in many regards.

Last edited:
Yeah, it can do everything you want. However, regarding the Fuzz, Fuzz is difficult to get “right” in the digital realm because the circuit relies on the varying impedance coming from the guitar/pickups. So if you are a true Fuzz junkie you’re definitely going to want the real deal, but it’ll work absolutely fine either going in the front end of the Fractal or running it in the loop.
I thought it wouldn't work in the loop as that is buffered?

Back
Top Bottom