new to FAS- Is now the time to buy an Axe FX XL+?

I vote yes especially coming from that digitech. You will hear a grind in the AXE FX II that you would have thought only possible with tube amps. As for FRFR vs. power amp and cab it's up to you. That 2:90 is a beast and I'd give it a shot first.

All excellent info! I'll try to keep it shorter from now on but I'm excited as hell about this! So you are saying that the Mark II is good enough unless I will mess around with IR's and need the extra ports? I can't imagine doing much with the cabs- on the Digitech gear I hardly ever used them but when I did, I found something that I liked and built around it. I think I'll try to run it like I did the Digitech- into the 2:90 and through my Mesa cabs most of the time so it seems like the basic stuff will do it for me and won't need much with the cabs unless I decide to go direct more if we get out gigging again. I was actually thinking the extra memory on the XL+ would help extend it's life for future updates, regardless of anything else but the Wiki links (thanks for those) tell me that maybe the memory isn't like what I assumed so it may not. I also like the better screen but the price difference is nice. The extra $500 would be nice to save but it's not enough to keep me from thinking that the latest and greatest will last the longest. Plus I can see me hopefully getting rid of the Triaxis and using this instead so that would cover the extra $. I love tubes and had gone back to them after the processors before just didn't didn't cut it for me anymore but I could also do without the temperamental nature of them from day to do and at different volumes, plus the cost of keeping them fresh.
Thanks again- you guys are great! I think some of the lovey attitude is rubbing off but how can you not be happy when something like the Axe FX leaves very little to complain about?

It's only the right time if you want to live your life without tone compromises. Otherwise keep using tools that impose limits on what your imagination can realize.

So you are saying that the Mark II is good enough unless I will mess around with IR's and need the extra ports?

Mark II would definitely suit your needs, heck, an Axe-FX II Original would do the trick if you wanted to save more money buying used. Sometimes you see them on here for $1650-1800 in the For Sale forum.

If you're using it for direct amp simulation into your live equipment, it's a simple start to an endless journey. Personally for me I came from a Digitech/Vox/Mesa background also and now I run the Axe-FX to straight FOH with a reference active speaker depending on the venue. At my church where I use it extensively it's all AMP + CAB sim to FOH using IEMs to monitor. It has simplified my setup/teardown time extensively and made changing tones for songs ridiculously easy to control. To each their own mate, I think you're going to be blown away with the Tri-Axis combo rig you have now especially on FW 18.10+.

If you're using a real poweramp and cab, there's hardly any reason to go for the XL.

Like, literally, the only difference is the number of user IR slots that you aren't going to use with that setup anyway.

Get the II and invest the extra 500€ into an MFC instead. It's a killer deal.

I hear you guys but part of me thinks that the extra memory could make the Axe FX last longer into the future when the firmware gets larger. But maybe I don't understand how the memory types work well enough. Plus I like the upgraded display and midi connections. I just don't want to take the chance that $500 out of $2500 might leave me coming up short in a few years. I'm weird like that and I definitely overthink things every day but maybe you guys are right. The bottom line is that I would rather overspend up front and not need it than underspend and regret it every day when I can't upgrade to the latest firmware, even though I don't have money to throw around either. One more thing- I see on Wiki that there is an XL in between the Mark II and the XL+ that could be better. Was it replaced by the XL+ or is that an option I could look for used?
I have the Rocktron Midi Raider footcontroller already so is the MFC that much better than it? As i said, I don't like the bank buttons on the lower right of it but there is something to be said about it working better with the Axe and the FASlink connections too. I guess I need to read up on it more but you experienced guys are helping shortcut so many things for me that I'll ask- does the MFC offer advantages that I mentioned earlier like bounceback switching on a patch with the same footswitch? I'm thinking to keep the Midi Raider at first until I see how it works but if I should bite the bullet and get an MFC too then I could buy the Mark II and get one. We are exposing my overthinking weakness so I'm going to have to nail it down soon before it drives me nuts. Thanks again for all the help!

I will not say more than what as already been said. It's also the best purchase I've ever made (beginning of this year). I have chosen the XL and I think it's a good call. XL+ is only a minor hardware difference on the screen, so if XL is cheaper, go for XL. Presets made on a XL are only working on XL but presets made on II are working on a XL. Fremen presets are outstanding and a great added value for the Axe Fx. You'll verify that once you will receive your Axe fx :)

"New to FAS- Is now the time to buy an Axe FX XL+?"

NO! That was yesterday, now's the time to ask yourself why you haven’t got one yet!:roll

I got my II XL last summer and have not regretted it at all.

I went with the II XL simply for resale purposes. In a few years when there is reason to upgrade, I felt that the II XL would be worth more in resale (and easier to sell) compared to the II.

I'm still undecided now that i have the funds :)
I have to decide if i need the extra memory, preset compatibility and ease, and eventually the cash value of the axe xl.

If you're using a real poweramp and cab, there's hardly any reason to go for the XL.

Like, literally, the only difference is the number of user IR slots that you aren't going to use with that setup anyway.

Well, that is not exactly true. There are other differences.
Expanded number of preset storage, the whole Axe-change and preset issue (can't put XL presets in a MrkII), the front input (quieter), the built in backup (so never have to worry about Eprom...), Dedicated FASlink jack..., and additional blocks with X/Y capability (Compressor, Gate, GEQ, PEQ, Trem/Pan).

I'm not arguing that the Mrk II will do the job, just want to provide clarity for our new friend and make sure he is fully informed. I think the XL provides some good extra value.

More from the man..
About the Axe-Fx II XL

Let me clear up a few things:

The primary impetus for the XL was the FASLINK port. Since I had to develop a new mainboard to support this I figured why not put in some of the other requests we get from the power users.

The additional memory is FLASH which is EPROM not RAM. This will not increase the looper time as the amount of RAM has not changed.

The type of FLASH memory is "Super-FLASH" which is an expensive, high-reliability memory. It can be erased hundreds of thousands of times without wearout or slowdown. This prevents the need to wear-level the memory and the dreaded "Tuning Memory" stuff.

There is no longer any SRAM for preset storage. All presets are stored in FLASH.

There is still a small SRAM for storage of system information that requires a battery. You can still back your system up to FLASH. If the battery dies you won't lose your presets and hopefully you've backed up your system.

There is enough FLASH memory to store 1024 presets and 1024 user cabs but I'm reserving half the memory for future upgrades.

The "Special Sauce III" uses a combination of things to get a lower noise floor. One of these things is new, premium Burr-Brown op-amps in the signal path which have extremely low noise and distortion (and are very expensive). As always I don't design stuff to be cheap, I design it to be good.

The optical encoder requires power and therefore can not be retrofitted into a Mark I/II. Also the shaft and bushing size are different so it doesn't fit anyways.

UltraRes is not specific to the XL and, in fact, the beta testers have Version 13.00 beta now and are testing the UltraRes capability.

All algorithms will be identical between the Mark I/II and XL. They all share the same code base. Any enhancements/improvements will benefit all models except when aforementioned features are not available.

The Mark II will continue to be produced and sold. The XL is a higher-priced option for those who need the features and does not in any way obsolete the Mark II.​

I'm not going to use a poweramp and I'm going to test a lot of downloadable presets, if I hesitate further I think G66 will not have the 2 anymore and my hesitation will be over :D

I must be crazy since I finally pretty much found the tone in my head in the last year with the Triaxis/2:90 and just finished building my rig, although I am still not happy with my effects and that is why I am looking at the Axe: but I have decided to order the XL+ this weekend.
I don't play direct at all at this point so my ultimate hope is to be able to replace the Triaxis and even the 2:90 with the Axe and run it through my Mesa cabs. This has always been my goal since I started but I just couldn't stand the amps in my Digitech 1101 anymore. Some of the videos I have seen comparing the two or other Mesa's still seem to be missing a tiny bit of the high gain magic that I went back to tubes for a few years ago but videos are notoriously unreliable so I'm hoping that and the new firmware will give me what I want. I can keep the 2:90 to add some tube magic if necessary but I'm going to set it up first with my solid state power amp and run it through my Mesa cabs to see if I can find the magic I need through that alone and go from there. I really hope I don't end up having to get rid of the rig I built to go FRFR and change everything either.
I originally was going to buy an older unit for my effects only and keep the rest of my rig but now that I have decided to try and replace the whole rig, I want the latest and greatest. I know the Axe is phenomenal but the big question is if my picky ears can handle the Axe by itself. I'm still not 100% happy with the Triaxis either but it's closer than I've ever gotten.
I am also dreading the learning curve and programming all of this in when I just pretty much got everything the way I need it now after dialing in for the last year. Being a guitar player is a journey and we never seem to be satisfied so I'm being true to the guitar player creed I guess. Can the Triaxis and Mesa players reassure me again that the Axe can definitely satisfy me before I place my order this weekend?

dude... come on now.

We can't sell you or convince you. Just use your ears.
Better yet... use the 15 day money back guarantee and test one out. Where do you live? Maybe you can go check one out from a forum member in person before buying.

There are like 100,000 posts of love for this device in this forum, and a zillion recordings and clips both here in the forum and on you tube. You would want to find those of FW18 really to truly hear what is happening now, but even some of the much older stuff should convince you.

But, I will tell you this. That MAGIC you seek... it's in here. 100%. All of it. I own Mesa, Marshall and Fender Amps. The only amp that I have that still blows my mind is my Fender. AND... I never ever use it anymore, because my Axe does the same thing close enough that I don't miss anything when playing with a band. I don't need to write this, as I said... the forum is full of it.

Here is what you do:
1. Order.
2. Read the manual cover to cover while you wait.
3. Spend time in the Axe recordings part of this forum while you wait, and find some cool presets.
4. On Day one, go through the factory presets.
5. On day two, download a few of the best preset you found online and play with those.
Then tweak for another 12 days, try things out and see if you can't be floored by some of the 200+ amps in this thing.

If not... send it back. No worries, no loss.
Just don't forget that what you are hearing it through matters though. Crappy power or speakers = crappy tone. I'd start with really good flat headphones, and then try to get some great FRFR monitors to REALLY check out the AXE. From there, use any solution you want. (4x12, SS amp or whatever)

Just remember what AXE does... it gives you the FOH sound. The RECORDED sound... which means AFTER the cab, mic, preamp (board). You can get a good amp in the room sound, but to really get that you need a good cab and power amp, and the right settings.

I have been playing guitar 30+ years. Axe was\is the best thing that I have ever paired with my guitar-bar none. Started with the standard-then Ultra-then AxeFXII and as of late XL.

Noneof us know when a new axefx will come out but if I were a betting man, it's years, not months-anyone want to wager :)

Welcome to the best forum on the Web................And the unbeatable customer service.

Not only is the AxeFX great, the company is also.........................

You're right- time to do it. However, after looking at your plan above I realized I'm going to be out of town the week after next and would lose half of the 15 day return period so I'm going to wait to order so I'll have it when I get back and have time to try it out. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm ready to go now and just have to wait until the timing is right so I'll have it when I get home.

As for the 2:90 and Triaxis - I have both also and have not really used either since I got my Axe FX (first Ultra, then AF 2).

Not that they aren't compatible, just not additive enough to justify lugging them around. And the Axe cab sims add lots of versatility. Have had great results with Atomic CLR FRFR, Bose L1, and direct connect to FOH/monitor setups.

Good luck!

I pulled the trigger...Not that I didn't gather the funds for that anyway XD
I'll soon receive my XL+ from G66, I went the all in route, hope not being disappointed !

Now I wonder if I can blantly sell my other stuff without checking, like the morpheus droptune, what do you think about it ?

Cheers and thanks for your advices

Back
Top Bottom