New super lightweight wireless...

First impressions: plastic, but seems sturdy enough. The hinge is fairly stiff, so it seems like it'll stay in place when you fold it up to the body of the guitar. However, it could rotate in the jack if you move around much or when doing something like a heavy vibrato / guitar shake. It feels tight as far as not falling out, just the rotation issue, which could put it where your leg could bend it. Probably wouldn't happen, but I suppose it could. I guess any of the other brands would be like this too. They also supply little pieces of 2-sided tape and velcro, but I'm not interested in sticking something to the side of my guitars that could mar the finish.

It also fit easily into my Strat and G&L, although you have to fold it backwards or it gets in the way of the controls and trem bar. Seems like it could break if you bumped into something as it's not flush w/ the guitar body but isn't flexible like a cable... wish it would bend back a bit farther.

As to the actual playability, syncing the two units was super easy. I had to demo it through headphones so couldn't do a direct comparison through my rig with the band. Bad timing, we're off for a couple of weeks after last weekend's gig where I'd hoped to get it in time to test - but I couldn't tell a difference A/B'ing with a guitar cable. No latency that I could detect, which had been one of my big questions. Using headphones I couldn't walk far enough away to check the range.

I haven't tested the battery life yet, and I have no easy way to check the dropouts / cellphones issue (I guess I could have my wife stand next to it and start texting and downloading ;-). Wish they gave more than 10 days to evaluate it, but so far so good.

First impressions: plastic, but seems sturdy enough. The hinge is fairly stiff, so it seems like it'll stay in place when you fold it up to the body of the guitar. However, it could rotate in the jack if you move around much or when doing something like a heavy vibrato / guitar shake. It feels tight as far as not falling out, just the rotation issue, which could put it where your leg could bend it. Probably wouldn't happen, but I suppose it could. I guess any of the other brands would be like this too. They also supply little pieces of 2-sided tape and velcro, but I'm not interested in sticking something to the side of my guitars that could mar the finish.

It also fit easily into my Strat and G&L, although you have to fold it backwards or it gets in the way of the controls and trem bar. Seems like it could break if you bumped into something as it's not flush w/ the guitar body but isn't flexible like a cable... wish it would bend back a bit farther.

As to the actual playability, syncing the two units was super easy. I had to demo it through headphones so couldn't do a direct comparison through my rig with the band. Bad timing, we're off for a couple of weeks after last weekend's gig where I'd hoped to get it in time to test - but I couldn't tell a difference A/B'ing with a guitar cable. No latency that I could detect, which had been one of my big questions. Using headphones I couldn't walk far enough away to check the range.

I haven't tested the battery life yet, and I have no easy way to check the dropouts / cellphones issue (I guess I could have my wife stand next to it and start texting and downloading ;-). Wish they gave more than 10 days to evaluate it, but so far so good.

Got mine today, and just finished trying it out......your review is spot on with what I experienced. The only thing I can add, is that it does stay put when I do my Eddie Van Halen jumps (yeah right)!;):D

Pretty much what I was just coming here to write.

My Ibanez S-series has the same issue. I could fold it forward, but it fits just between the volume knob and one of the pickup toggles, so not great there.

No latency, signal quality was pretty good. I didn't notice any real difference from my cables (George Ls).

I played for about an hour, with my IEM rig turned on and my receiver on my strap (to see if it caused any issues). I found no interference or drop outs.

I walked around maybe 25 feet away... Again, no issues.

Way better than the Xvive, which does not work at all for me.

Update....

So yeah, this thing has worked flawlessly when right in front of the rig in the basement, as we have heard. This morning, I did a fun little test, where I strapped on the Les Paul, turned up to some pretty hefty volume, and proceeded out of Madison Square Basement, up the stairs, and walked all over the house. This thing never cut out one time! I could clearly hear my rendition of "Barracuda" from the far reaches of the house! lol But yeah, I think for the price, Carvin has a real winner here!

Zero latency here. Picked it up as a quick grab and go (have GLX too) or B rig use. I used the Carvin at rehearsal this past weekend and it lasted about 5 hours on a charge into the Axe III from a Strat, before starting to trigger the “charge” blinking
LED. I’m quite happy with it for the price point.

Tried mine again and didn't notice the latency this time, so who knows. Am going to try it at band practice tonight.

....from Carvin. Very inexpensive WG-5 sounds great uses the 5.8 Ghz band so there's no interference from cell phones, routers, etc. So far I really like it.

I bought this, hope it works out. Working with both active and passive pickups was a big selling point for me. Price was great (139.00). I switch guitars a lot w/ different tunings and no cables I've been craving awhile. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

OP here; approximately six weeks in with this unit and I have no downside to report. Everything is operating as it should and I become increasingly impressed with the 'Bang For The Buck' value of this unit. No latency, no tonal coloring, no noise, no battery problems, not a single problem with any guitar or amp I've used it with, (and that's a bunch of both SS and tube amps). The fact that it's so small and lightweight IMO is a huge plus. Until now I've been using a Shure GLXD4R (a fine unit in it's self) but find little use for it now as the Carvin works flawlessly in it's place.

Mine arrived today.... didn't need to charge. Took me 2 min to open box, browse at the manual and plug & play. I thought I heard some high end roll-off but blew that idea off. I'm not even gonna bother comparing because I'm 99.99 sure it was all in my head I don't notice anything at the moment. My only complaint would be in Strat style jacks the transmitter has to rotate so the back of it is showing instead of the Carvin lettering. Petty, I know. But I gotta complain about something.

Day two...still works :p

It's my first wireless (I'm almost 50). Pretty cool being able to EVH it (6-inch vertical) around the man cave. But what I'm really thinking would be handy is a wireless pedal board so I don't have to run over and switch with my feet. 5 to 10 yrs, virtual reality tech should be there. I'll take a small royalty for that idea.

Back
Top Bottom